How far do you go to please a buyer
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
A little over a month ago I sold my Plinius 8200 MKII Integrated unit to an audiogon buyer. It was mint on all visible surfaces, but had some scratches on the bottom of the unit from it's previous owner who'd mounted it on points. I'd marked the unit 8/10 even though audiogons scale didn't require the underside be taken into consideration and it probably could have passed for a 9.

I got some interest from a buyer, who one way or another got me to agree to selling it for about $100 under asking price and including shipping (wasn't that big a deal, I charged it on one of my dads business accounts). In our correspondence I told him that "audiogon does not require disclosure regarding the underside of units, but I wanted to let you know the previous owner had the unit on points and the bottom reflects that." He still wanted it, we went ahead with the transaction and acknowledged recieving it at his parents house.

Today, after more then 4 weeks of no communication he emails me complaining about the underside of the unit and how if he'd known it was as bad as it was he'd have bought a different unit as if 1: someone else would meet his price and 2: it was something that couldn't be remedied with a sharpie.

What do I do here? I only sold it to him because I was broke but needed to raise funds for another purchase. I'm not sure an easement is appropriate as it would be admitting I am wrong, which I don't feel I am, and I already bent over in this transaction.

I don't want him blemishing my perfect feedback--what would you do?

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 16
you told him about the scratches already, he already agreed to take it after you told him.

the matter seems pretty closed to me.

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 16
If it arrived just as you described it, then no, of course you're not obliged to do anything.

How does Audiogon moderate feedback comments?

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Gopher,

It sounds as if you did everything right. The problem with selling things online is that it only takes one irrational buyer to harm your reputation. It's just a shame that's how these things work.

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 16
Gopher:

That's a sticky situation, but I would tend to agree with your view. You were upfront, and in fact you may have discounted the condition of the unit more than required. You sold the item for a reasonable price, and it's been quite sometime since the transaction. I would suspect that said buyer has since decided to purchase a different unit, and is hoping to re-coup what he paid to you in full. This behaviour is dishonest, and is not unlike a man that purchases a tuxedo for his wedding, to later return it within the "money back" period. Effectively your buyer is requesting that you absorb his "renting" of the unit. Keep your foot planted, but attempt to reason with him.

Trevor

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 16
Buyer claims had he'd known how bad it was he would of bought a different unit, he should have know all of this before he purchased it and not after he had received the item and then realizing it's not as he had imagined it to be. Waiting for nearly over 4 weeks to contact you about his displeasure is a little too late, anything could've happend to the unit during those 4 weeks. If he was that displeased he should have contacted you immediately after recieving the item. I feel you did nothing wrong in this case and that it was the buyer's responsibility that he fully understood the condition of the unit. If he wasn't so sure, he should've asked you additional questions to clarify things.

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 16
If he posts negative feedback, you could try Audiogon's dispute mechanism. I'm not sure how well it works, though.

However:

1) You disclosed the cosmetic damage prior to sale. If this was a concern to the buyer, or he wanted to know more, he should have asked for photo's.

2) You adjusted your price to accomodate the buyer, at least in part due to the cosmetic issue. He's already received his recompense in the form of a lower up front price.

3) Four weeks is totally unreasonable to complain about a condition that existed at the time of delivery. If it bothered him, he should have said something when he got it. OTOH, it wouldn't have mattered then either.

I'd simply tell the buyer that at this point the deal is done. You had properly disclosed that the unit had been on points. He accepted the unit at the reduced price he negotiated. Nothing more to be done.

As a seller, your obligation is to deliver the unit in the condition stated in your ad and any subsequent discussion. You did so.

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Nothing. If he is that picky and concerned about a part of the item that he can't even see and doesn't affect sound quality at all, he's not worth the effort. But, if he persists in making waves and threatens to blemish your A'gon record, tell him he'll have to pay for the return shipping and you'll inspect the TT's working condition upon it's arrival. Not until then does he recieve a penny.

Second, always keep a copy off all emails and communications when you are dealing with people. Even if it means sitting on them for a year if necessary. I keep a copy of each transaction in a folder in outlook Express just in case something like this happens. If they raise a fuss, I forward the email with the info already disclosed in it and let them know they knew in advance.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 16
Sorry to hear about this....there will always be people who do stuff like this, unfortunately.

I'm thinking that, as long as you saved your e-mails, you have all the ammunition that you need to clear your good name if need be.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 16
thanks for the advice guys. I'll be polite and cordial, but ya'll are right. He won't get a dime back.

Hirsch,

The price adjustments were not due to the cosmetic damage. He was a hardass from the get-go and there was very limited interest. I disclosed the blemishes after we arrived at a price but before he sent any payment.

Warubu,

Good point. I did give him the out. He should have taken it or demanded more detailed information.

SIE,

Yea, seems silly to me too. Its completely invisible under normal use and can easily be masked by a sharpie. If I'd expected a reaction like this even after disclosing it, I'd have taken a black magic marker to it myself!

I typically do save all corresponding emails for a couple of weeks after the transaction, but in the interest of inbox space (my school uses webmail w/o forwarding option) I deleted it after he'd acknowledged reciept and thanked me for my quick shipping.

Apparantly the situation was his parents recieved it and confirmed it's reciept and intactness, but he was not personally able to verifiy it for an additional month. Riiighhht...

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 16
Another possibility is buyers remorse. Maybe he found something better/cheaper/whatever, and now wants to back out on you. Sorry you have to deal with someone like this.

I bought a headamp from a guy here, only to find out there were a number of things "wrong" with it. Volume wouldn't go down all the way, the soldering job was horrendous, a screw was broken off in the unit, and even more. It was misrepresented. I asked the guy for my money back, and he flat out refused. I was a bit ticked, and learned to ask more questions up front. I ended up losing a bit of money on that unit after it was damaged en route, and MAR had to repair it at my expense.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorNetwork
Gopher:
I would suspect that said buyer has since decided to purchase a different unit, and is hoping to re-coup what he paid to you in full. This behaviour is dishonest, and is not unlike a man that purchases a tuxedo for his wedding, to later return it within the "money back" period. Effectively your buyer is requesting that you absorb his "renting" of the unit. Keep your foot planted, but attempt to reason with him.
Trevor

Bingo. Hope he lays off and doesn't mess with your feedback.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 16
I would be friendly and polite and turn him down cold. It sounds like he's just decided that he wants something else and wants you to pay for the trial. Probably he's used to doing the same thing to stores he shops at. It works a bit different in theused market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back