How far can you jog?
post-180849
Post #1 of 35

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I just started jogging this week (first time in my life) because I just realized I gained yet another ten pounds. That disguises me. For now I can only jog for about 0.5m/0.75km. It seems a little low to me and I think i can do more.

I don't get tired after jogging or while jogging but I always run out of breath for some reason. I have to concentrate so much on breath in&out steadyly at all times. Why is that?

Also, what time of the day do you guys like to jog at? I like to jog at night (I just did tonite about 5 mins ago:))

post-180876
Post #2 of 35

hongda

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I can about 3 miles tops. When I started out I was the same way, ran out of breath very easily. If you want just take a short break and go again. Another thing you might try is to warm up then sprint. This jumps your heart rate up very quickly and lasts longer than if you just jog. It's taken me about 2 months to get up to 3 miles.

post-180879
Post #3 of 35

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Reaction score
It takes a while to get up to a good distance, especially if you're not used to aerobic exercise. You'll progressively be able to run farther and farther. Try running an extra tenth of a kilometer every week or every few days; just always push yourself to do more and you'll get it.

I have multiple friends who are running marathons this year. One of them is aiming for a 6:55/mi pace. ****ing nuts.

kerelybonto

post-180882
Post #4 of 35

SumB

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I do 3 miles - cardio wise I'm sure I could double that up but my knees and shins don't take kindly to the impact (my pronating arches don't help). I prefer first thing in the morning, or late at night, when it's cool and my allergies aren't an issue.

Take it slow, and remember to stretch during the warm up and cool down period. I find a few minutes of brisk walking to up the heart rate before picking up the pace makes it go a lot easier.

post-180904
Post #5 of 35

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Reaction score
Are your feet hitting the ground hard? If they are you are wasting alot of energy. I know when I was younger my technique was terrible and I was always one of the worst runners in my classes. But summer of OAC I changed the way I run and the way I breath (my breathing was not smooth or consistent at all before) and now I can run pretty far.

Biggie.

post-180908
Post #6 of 35

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Reaction score
i run flat footed with fallen arches, so i always get the pain of impact in my knees and shins like SumB. or it could be the fact that im out of shape, and weigh almost 200 pounds, so thats a lot of mass to move on 2 little feet.

I am trying to get better though like pepsi. started taking a weight training class at school. We do weights, jogging, cardio, nutrition, etc....the whole works, not just weights...

post-180949
Post #7 of 35

CRESCENDOPOWER

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Start out with a stationary bike especially if you weigh a lot. Resistance training will also help you lose weight. Good luck!

post-181046
Post #8 of 35

finleyville

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
jlo mein

I have falling arches too, and the only thing that saved my from stopping all athletic activity altoghether was custom orthotics or footbeds. A podiatrist makes a casting of each foot then sends them away. In a couple of weeks your orthotics come back and you just slip them into the shoes you are going to wear at the time. A little pricey of about $250 on up but totally worth it for those with our condition.

post-181078
Post #9 of 35

yage

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I usually run 5 miles (outdoors) and 4.5 - 5 miles (indoors, depending on treadmill speed) for about half an hour. If you're just starting out, the best method, in my opinion, would be to alternate jogging and walking. You can cover a lot more distance this way. Once you're more aerobically fit, you can increasingly substitute the walking portions with jogging.

Also, don't forget to stretch before and after you run to prevent injury and to get proper shoes. I can't stress the shoes enough because if you run in the wrong shoes, you could aggravate shin splints and sore knees.

post-181255
Post #10 of 35

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by finleyville
jlo mein

I have falling arches too, and the only thing that saved my from stopping all athletic activity altoghether was custom orthotics or footbeds. A podiatrist makes a casting of each foot then sends them away. In a couple of weeks your orthotics come back and you just slip them into the shoes you are going to wear at the time. A little pricey of about $250 on up but totally worth it for those with our condition.

i've heard of friends who got these.....i definitely agree that they work....

but if i had $250US to spend, i would have a META42 and beyer 250's by now....

post-181261
Post #11 of 35

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I think I need to develope my lung's capacity inorder to run farther.

My mom has those custom orthotics too but she hates them for some reason.

post-181268
Post #12 of 35

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Back in the day (late 80's) I ran daily in the Army and did triathalons. No Ironman ****. I was up 10 miles. Hard to believe now. My knees are shot. I can trot about 3 maybe 4. I'd rather ride a bike or swim. Or just listen to heaphones and have a few... Tough getting old(er).

post-181277
Post #13 of 35

skippy

Making Grados better through surgery.
Reaction score
when i used to run track and cross country in high school, on occasion we would run 13 miles, but those days are long gone. i can still do about 3 before my joints start killing me.

i'd say take it slow and aim for at least 2 miles, and every couple weeks tack on another mile.

post-181299
Post #14 of 35

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Reaction score
wow! Believe it or not, tonight was my first night jogging, then I see this thread! I jogged for 15 minutes. Pretty slow/easy pace. I realized I had gained YATP(Yet another ten pounds), so I said enough is enough. I'll be doing 15 minute jogs each day from now on. . . Dunno, maybe I did a mile. Last year, when I timed myself for a mile, I did it in 7 minutes(I know, horrible). I doubt that I did 2 miles at my pace. Possibly 1.5 . . . let's cheer each other on!

post-181314
Post #15 of 35

Anders

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks Pepsione, you help me to realize that my physical condition is far from what it should be and that is not good for me. I haven't run for many years but did regularily during a long period. Even marathon. At that time I learned much about training and it would be time to use that knowledge for myself too.
If you are very young and healty, you can start a little tougher, but toughness is no good until you are very well trained. If you are middle-aged, get very little exercise and may be overweight, you should take it carefully. I think this could be some good advise:

1. Start with a short distance, say two miles or even less. Warm up with walking, the first weeks walking could suffice if you don't really feel this is too slow. Then run slowly for a short while, stop when you feel tired or have problems with breathing, if you feel fit for it take another session of jogging.
2. Do this 2-3 times a week. One time a week is not enough to really build up strength and endurance.
3. Some stretching after the training is good, especially when you are mostly running.
4. Never overdo it, the only important thing is regular training. There is no point in running fast in this phase.
5. Don't set up goals in the first phase, except regular training.
6. When you can run the 2 miles slowly 2 - 3 times a week, you have a good basic fitness. If you like it, you can consider to increase length and speed (not at the same time).
7. It is preferable to have good running shoes when you shift over from walking to running, especially if you run on hard surfaces. Problems with pronation are rather common, the foot bends over too much from the outside to the inside when you set the foot on the ground. Then you shouldn't have excessively soft shoes but rather a more stable one that dampens this movement of the foot around the ankle. This can cause stress on the foot, knee and leg and induce injuries. It is mostly a problem you encounter when you increase mileage and speed. Good shoe shops or gym consultants might give advise on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)