How durable is the headamp gs1?
Nov 7, 2008 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been using the amp for almost 2 years. Time really files and i wonder how long more the gs1 can function well. Recently my pc got problems and i have them repaired by calling for professionals' service.

I have been enjoying this great amp and feel confident to say it's one of the best amps for its price range.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Should last you a life time. Even if you did have a part fail on you it would be replaceable for very little cash. I think a better question is how long can you keep it without something happening to it.

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if you did have a part fail on you it would be replaceable for very little cash.

Eeh: if a transistor fails, and they are no longer in production (that SPECIFIC transistor) thats the end of the amp or the start of a LOT of work for the repairman. If you are supremely lucky there is a drop-in replacement, but the mfr's quest for constant improvements and changing market demands makes this unlikely. The things that improve a transistor according to the mfr do not always improve them according to the ear...

Its not terribly likely that a transistor will ever fail if its treated well. I personally spend more time thinking about how I will spend the winnings from the local lottery than what to do if a transistor in some of my gear fails.

As a slightly more doomsday note: When 1 transistor fails, it often takes out its mate, and can easily cause a cascading failure through the rest of the amp. It dosnt always cause mass destruction and one has to fail first anyways.

on the note of comparing an audio-amp to a computer part: Computer parts are made to an absurdly low quality standard in terms of target lifespan. By the time they (computer parts) actually break they are technologically dinosaurs, and generally should not be repaired under any conditions. If you bought the "fastest thing you can get today" and use it until it broke, you are 3 generations (at least) past due for an upgrade at the end of its life if you care about ultimate speed. If you bought the "average, but good enough" parts, they cost less to replace than repair.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using the amp for almost 2 years. Time really files and i wonder how long more the gs1 can function well. Recently my pc got problems and i have them repaired by calling for professionals' service.

The most common reason PCs fail is the hard drive -- not too surprising, since it's basically a mechanical part. CD and DVD players usually die for the same reason. The GS-1 (or for that matter any other non-mechanical solid state device) would be expected to have a much longer life-span, provided it is not subjected to current spikes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back