How durable are Beyerdynamic Products?
Aug 9, 2012 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

UpWaiting

Head-Fier
It seems that Beyerdynamic doesn't make Cans with an replaceable cable option. So I ask if their Cans are durable, enough to last a few 5 years or so?

Thanks 

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 13
It seems that Beyerdynamic doesn't make Cans with an replaceable cable option.

The "pro" models are generally manufactured with studio use in mind. They are a bit more durable but don't look as aesthetically pleasing as the regular models.

Otherwise, something like the DT250 is an extremely durable and great sounding headphone and it does have a detachable cable.

For example, as an owner of both, I'd probably say the DT250 would take more of a beating than the T70, even though the DT250 was a lot cheaper. In fact, if I had to choose a high durability headphone of any brand that still sounded good, I'd choose the DT250.
Not to say that Beyers like the T70 are poorly built, that's not at all the case they just aren't designed to withstand being thrown in a bag with a bunch of other gear or left around recording studio.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 13
I've got two pairs of DT250s. I've used one of them as my all rounder headphones for the past year without any build issues. Besides a bit of dust, I'd say they look as new as the day I got them.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I've got two pairs of DT250s. I've used one of them as my all rounder headphones for the past year without any build issues. Besides a bit of dust, I'd say they look as new as the day I got them.

Hardwired cables are a pain.  The cables will be the part that eventually breaks.  But aside from that, DT880, 990, T1, etc are made for studio use, so they should be plenty durable for professional abuse
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 13
The cable on the DT250 is detachable, but I think it costs something like $70 to purchase a replacement. :p

By the way, the DT250 is all hard plastic so it won't as easily get scratched or dented so this might not apply to the more fancy models.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
It seems that Beyerdynamic doesn't make Cans with an replaceable cable option. So I ask if their Cans are durable, enough to last a few 5 years or so?

Beyerdynamic manufactures portable and full-sized 'phones -- Tesla, and DT-770, -880, and -990 Pro and Premium. Did you have a particular line in mind?

My two-year old DT-990 Premiums's are sturdy. I neither baby them nor worry they're going to break. But I don't throw them around like my fly-weight Koss Titanium set.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Depends on how well you treat them. If you take care of them they last for years. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 13
They're German tough. Just like this guy. Last time I checked one of these can knock out half a dozen tanks before they know whats up.

The build quality among Beyers is never in question, therefore it's never discussed, lets just leave it at that :D

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 13
I asked my friend, who plays drums with the Beyerdynamic DT770, and he says that in the 5 years he has had them, they have never broken. Not once has anything failed or quit. He is looking to buy the DT880 next. So, I'd say they are pretty tough.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Are they vulnerable to insurgents using IEM's?

No as you can see there is an MG42 for and a coaxial gun in the turret for dealing with those JH13 wearing fanatics.

Nice pun btw I had a nice grin from that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back