How does this look to you pros? (v. new rig)
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

darkninja67

Headphoneus Supremus
Been awhile since I had a good portable set up. Last one I had was a Nano 8GB with a RSA Mustang and Shure SE530s.

Looking at this right now:

amp: Headstage  Arrow

IEMs: Earsonics SM3

PMP: Zune HD 32GB (already on the way)

Was wondering if this would be an upgrade to what I had been using. Also, wondering if running an amp from the HP out on the Zune is going to make a huge difference.

My music tastes are all over the place: I go from Porcupine Tree to Amon Amarth to Natalie Merchant.

Looking for a good all around rig. Needs to be solid in the mids (important)

Thanks for looking and any advice.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 3
After 3,165 posts (as of today) I'd hope you would be able to consider yourself a "pro." 
wink.gif

That being said, I do really like the SQ of the Zune.  The only reason I do not own one is because of Microsoft's persistent attitude to stick with their own media storage software.  I'm a big fan of MediaMonkey and will only buy a device that is compatible.

I wish I had more to offer on the Arrow, since that is always an amp that has appealed to me.  I hear good things though.

Regarding the SM3, I really HATED my ER6i's.  They were "tinny" and lacked any guts on the low end of the frequency spectrum.  Hence the reason why I am almost exclusively Sennheiser now.  But, if they're anything like the ER6i you won't like them if you want anything remotely "warm."  I know the armature design is much different in the SM3 so maybe somebody can help me out here.  

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 3
I have a Zune HD and a Nano in the house, and IMO you'd be better off with the Nano for SQ. With an amp, if you we're using an LOD for the Zune HD, it would be equal. Through the HP out - no, the Nano wins.

I say this as I never use amps - so the winner in HP out SQ is the Nano,.....YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back