How does this iPod sound quality solution sound?
Dec 12, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drkphoenix

New Head-Fier
I love my iPod and I love my MS-1's and I love my music... I also love money though and amps aren't cheap. So for now I bought a SendStation PocketDock AV to connect my cans to my iPod through its dock connector. I figure its only $30 and it should hold me over since--at least this is what I've heard--I should hear a noticible improvement in sound quality. Plus, if thats the case, It would sound better amped through the dock anyways. I've already ordered the thing but I'd appreciate any insight or comment. Just as reassurance that this isn't crazy since I haven't heard of many people doing this.

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need an amp, don't drive headphones with line level output. You also won't have use of the volume control this way either. Get a Mini^3 from the various builders around for $125 (average price, I think), you'll love it.

Okay, so that was a flop by itself. But when I do get an amp wouldnt it sound better if i plugged the amp into the pocketdock on the bottom instead of the jack on the top? that I think I've seen pictures of people doing. The guy from radioshack says the problem with my old plan was that the dock wouldnt power the headphones and that the reason it works for speakers is that they already have power. That, I think, is what everyone says is problem number one. An amp would solve that. Also most amps have volume controls which solves the other main problem, right? I mean my new question is should I keep it to run a future amp through?

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so that was a flop by itself. But when I do get an amp wouldnt it sound better if i plugged the amp into the pocketdock on the bottom instead of the jack on the top? that I think I've seen pictures of people doing. The guy from radioshack says the problem with my old plan was that the dock wouldnt power the headphones and that the reason it works for speakers is that they already have power. That, I think, is what everyone says is problem number one. An amp would solve that. Also most amps have volume controls which solves the other main problem, right? I mean my new question is should I keep it to run a future amp through?

Your right, it would sound better if you plugged your amp into the dock connector rather then the headphone jack. Actually, the dock will OVERPOWER your headphones if you plugged them straight in, driving them at line level (very loud!). Its got more then enough power for MS-1s, the guy at radioshack doesn't have a clue honestly. The amp will solve your problem with volume control fine.
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep the dock.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your right, it would sound better if you plugged your amp into the dock connector rather then the headphone jack. Actually, the dock will OVERPOWER your headphones if you plugged them straight in, driving them at line level (very loud!). Its got more then enough power for MS-1s, the guy at radioshack doesn't have a clue honestly. The amp will solve your problem with volume control fine.
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep the dock.

Excellent! Now I just need to look at amps to find one that meets my needs then I'm in business. Thank you both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back