How does the Rega Planet 2000 stack up against a Scott Nixon TubeDac and an Ack Dack?
Jun 7, 2004 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Im looking to uograde my rig, and Im looking at these three. Right now I have a Denon 370 that I could use as a transport. So basically, does one rein supreme over the other?

Jun 8, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 16
I owned a Rega Planet awhile back. Judging from listening at two different meets, the AckDack is more detailed and coherent than the Rega Planet. The Rega is a very warm sounding player, which is nice, however I faulted it because it sounds a little wooly in the bass. For most average speaker systems this is fine but in a good headphone system it was noticable for me. If the bass/midbass was better defined on the Rega it would be a fantastic player. At the time that I owned the Rega I was using the Gilmore V2 and Grado HP-1000.

I highly recommend the AckDack. It is an excellent value and sounds great.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 16
I own both and really like both.

I use them in different systems. The Planet (2000) is with a Melos SHA-1 and a pair of Grado rs-1s. The Ack! is new and I am using it with a Marantz player, and a Stax 3030 system.

Heads up, they are very similar. The Stax system is completely unforgiving and the Ack! has made a huge difference there. It is a great match.

I don't find the Planet wooly in the bass. I think that it is very well balanced.

Since the Ack! is less than a week old, I really do not want to give you any definative opinions on it, until I have lived with it for a while. I do not plan on replacing the planet with one. I think the planet is a great player for the money.

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I owned a Rega Planet awhile back. Judging from listening at two different meets, the AckDack is more detailed and coherent than the Rega Planet. The Rega is a very warm sounding player, which is nice, however I faulted it because it sounds a little wooly in the bass. For most average speaker systems this is fine but in a good headphone system it was noticable for me. If the bass/midbass was better defined on the Rega it would be a fantastic player. At the time that I owned the Rega I was using the Gilmore V2 and Grado HP-1000.

I highly recommend the AckDack. It is an excellent value and sounds great.

Canman, which version of the Rega Planet did you own?

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 16
Please, keep us updated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you all very much for your help, anyone else, preferably with the TubeDAc niw?
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Canman, which version of the Rega Planet did you own?

I had the Planet 2000. I enjoyed it and still regard it as an excellent CD player. It doesn't hold up to more expensive players though (for me).

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 16
Canman, thanks for the info.

I only listened to the Rega 2000 at a meet and I was really impressed by its smoothness and ability to convey rhyhtm at the same time.

Very interesting read: Ack Dack vs. Tubedac at Audiocircles http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=5441

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 16
A strictly practical question about the Ack! dAck! -- how does the recharging work? Is it the power adapter plugged in full-time, but it only charges when you switch it off, or do you have to unplug it every time you want to use it and plug it in again to charge when you're done listening? I don't mind the usage limitations imposed by the battery-based design, but having to unplug/replug the power every time is just a bit more than I'd want to deal with.

PS: Dave, congratulations on picking up the dAck! at the Saturday meet. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, but never got around to listening to it, much to my later regret.

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
A strictly practical question about the Ack! dAck! -- how does the recharging work? Is it the power adapter plugged in full-time, but it only charges when you switch it off, or do you have to unplug it every time you want to use it and plug it in again to charge when you're done listening? I don't mind the usage limitations imposed by the battery-based design, but having to unplug/replug the power every time is just a bit more than I'd want to deal with.

PS: Dave, congratulations on picking up the dAck! at the Saturday meet. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, but never got around to listening to it, much to my later regret.

From what I understand, it is constantly plugged in. When you turn it off, the batteries begin to recharge.

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
A strictly practical question about the Ack! dAck! -- how does the recharging work?

The Ack! Dack is either in active use, DAC turned on running off batteries, or in recharge mode, turned off. As a practical matter, you just leave it plugged in all the time and when you turn it on, it changes from charge mode to battery power.

I was a little worried about this, but in average use, it is completely transparent. We ran it for over 8 hours at the meet, and it was still going strong. The replacement battery, if and when it needs it, is $65. I'm a reluctant convert on this system.

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 16
The batteries are the main reason I wouldn't consider the Ack Dack, it seems like a hassle to constantly be charging it and connecting/disconnecting the power supply. A nice PSU would probably cost about the same amount of money as a rechargable battery setup, it would be nice if both options were offered for the lazy of us
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
The batteries are the main reason I wouldn't consider the Ack Dack, it seems like a hassle to constantly be charging it and connecting/disconnecting the power supply. A nice PSU would probably cost about the same amount of money as a rechargable battery setup, it would be nice if both options were offered for the lazy of us
smily_headphones1.gif

There's not any disconnecting, you jsut have to turn it off and the charger starts automatically.

Jun 9, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 16
I either heard or read somewhere that a version without batteries was on the works (PS/AC on all the time). I guess this would suit potential users that would consider the batteries a drawback. I personally think batteries provide extemely clean signal and maximum power. My phono stage, Camelot Lancelot, has the same approach, once you turn it on, charging cycle is interrupted, when switched on it resumes. No memory effect, since the batteries are lead-acid, usually about 8-10 hours use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back