How does the Rega Planet 2000 stack up against a Scott Nixon TubeDac and an Ack Dack?
post-832452
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 16

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Messages
1,557
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Posts
1,557
Likes
10
Im looking to uograde my rig, and Im looking at these three. Right now I have a Denon 370 that I could use as a transport. So basically, does one rein supreme over the other?
 
     Share This Post       
post-833307
Post #2 of 16

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 13, 2003
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
14
Joined
May 13, 2003
Posts
3,667
Likes
14
I owned a Rega Planet awhile back. Judging from listening at two different meets, the AckDack is more detailed and coherent than the Rega Planet. The Rega is a very warm sounding player, which is nice, however I faulted it because it sounds a little wooly in the bass. For most average speaker systems this is fine but in a good headphone system it was noticable for me. If the bass/midbass was better defined on the Rega it would be a fantastic player. At the time that I owned the Rega I was using the Gilmore V2 and Grado HP-1000.

I highly recommend the AckDack. It is an excellent value and sounds great.
 
     Share This Post       
post-833375
Post #3 of 16

Dave1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 21, 2002
Messages
201
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 21, 2002
Posts
201
Likes
10
I own both and really like both.

I use them in different systems. The Planet (2000) is with a Melos SHA-1 and a pair of Grado rs-1s. The Ack! is new and I am using it with a Marantz player, and a Stax 3030 system.

Heads up, they are very similar. The Stax system is completely unforgiving and the Ack! has made a huge difference there. It is a great match.

I don't find the Planet wooly in the bass. I think that it is very well balanced.

Since the Ack! is less than a week old, I really do not want to give you any definative opinions on it, until I have lived with it for a while. I do not plan on replacing the planet with one. I think the planet is a great player for the money.
 
     Share This Post       
post-833441
Post #4 of 16

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
4,307
Reaction score
24
Location
Berlin
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Location
Berlin
Posts
4,307
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I owned a Rega Planet awhile back. Judging from listening at two different meets, the AckDack is more detailed and coherent than the Rega Planet. The Rega is a very warm sounding player, which is nice, however I faulted it because it sounds a little wooly in the bass. For most average speaker systems this is fine but in a good headphone system it was noticable for me. If the bass/midbass was better defined on the Rega it would be a fantastic player. At the time that I owned the Rega I was using the Gilmore V2 and Grado HP-1000.

I highly recommend the AckDack. It is an excellent value and sounds great.



Canman, which version of the Rega Planet did you own?
 
     Share This Post       
post-833453
Post #5 of 16

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Messages
1,557
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Posts
1,557
Likes
10
Please, keep us updated.


Thank you all very much for your help, anyone else, preferably with the TubeDAc niw?
 
     Share This Post       
post-833501
Post #6 of 16

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Posts
1,089
Likes
10
Just a side note - the Ack Dack runs on rechargables, so fi you listen to >8 hours at a time it will require a recharging.
 
     Share This Post       
post-833534
Post #7 of 16

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 13, 2003
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
14
Joined
May 13, 2003
Posts
3,667
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Canman, which version of the Rega Planet did you own?


I had the Planet 2000. I enjoyed it and still regard it as an excellent CD player. It doesn't hold up to more expensive players though (for me).
 
     Share This Post       
post-833556
Post #8 of 16

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
4,307
Reaction score
24
Location
Berlin
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Location
Berlin
Posts
4,307
Likes
24
Canman, thanks for the info.

I only listened to the Rega 2000 at a meet and I was really impressed by its smoothness and ability to convey rhyhtm at the same time.

Very interesting read: Ack Dack vs. Tubedac at Audiocircles http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=5441
 
     Share This Post       
post-833565
Post #9 of 16

Dixie Flatline

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
433
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Posts
433
Likes
10
A strictly practical question about the Ack! dAck! -- how does the recharging work? Is it the power adapter plugged in full-time, but it only charges when you switch it off, or do you have to unplug it every time you want to use it and plug it in again to charge when you're done listening? I don't mind the usage limitations imposed by the battery-based design, but having to unplug/replug the power every time is just a bit more than I'd want to deal with.

PS: Dave, congratulations on picking up the dAck! at the Saturday meet. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, but never got around to listening to it, much to my later regret.
 
     Share This Post       
post-833605
Post #10 of 16

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Posts
1,089
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
A strictly practical question about the Ack! dAck! -- how does the recharging work? Is it the power adapter plugged in full-time, but it only charges when you switch it off, or do you have to unplug it every time you want to use it and plug it in again to charge when you're done listening? I don't mind the usage limitations imposed by the battery-based design, but having to unplug/replug the power every time is just a bit more than I'd want to deal with.

PS: Dave, congratulations on picking up the dAck! at the Saturday meet. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, but never got around to listening to it, much to my later regret.



From what I understand, it is constantly plugged in. When you turn it off, the batteries begin to recharge.
 
     Share This Post       
post-833609
Post #11 of 16

Dave1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 21, 2002
Messages
201
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 21, 2002
Posts
201
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
A strictly practical question about the Ack! dAck! -- how does the recharging work?


The Ack! Dack is either in active use, DAC turned on running off batteries, or in recharge mode, turned off. As a practical matter, you just leave it plugged in all the time and when you turn it on, it changes from charge mode to battery power.

I was a little worried about this, but in average use, it is completely transparent. We ran it for over 8 hours at the meet, and it was still going strong. The replacement battery, if and when it needs it, is $65. I'm a reluctant convert on this system.
 
     Share This Post       
post-833717
Post #12 of 16

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
294
Location
East Coast
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Location
East Coast
Posts
5,762
Likes
294
Website
www.zynsonix.com
The batteries are the main reason I wouldn't consider the Ack Dack, it seems like a hassle to constantly be charging it and connecting/disconnecting the power supply. A nice PSU would probably cost about the same amount of money as a rechargable battery setup, it would be nice if both options were offered for the lazy of us
 
     Share This Post       
post-833817
Post #13 of 16

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Posts
1,089
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
The batteries are the main reason I wouldn't consider the Ack Dack, it seems like a hassle to constantly be charging it and connecting/disconnecting the power supply. A nice PSU would probably cost about the same amount of money as a rechargable battery setup, it would be nice if both options were offered for the lazy of us



There's not any disconnecting, you jsut have to turn it off and the charger starts automatically.
 
     Share This Post       
post-833949
Post #14 of 16

CD44hi

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2003
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
12
Joined
Mar 7, 2003
Posts
1,050
Likes
12
I either heard or read somewhere that a version without batteries was on the works (PS/AC on all the time). I guess this would suit potential users that would consider the batteries a drawback. I personally think batteries provide extemely clean signal and maximum power. My phono stage, Camelot Lancelot, has the same approach, once you turn it on, charging cycle is interrupted, when switched on it resumes. No memory effect, since the batteries are lead-acid, usually about 8-10 hours use.
 
     Share This Post       
post-834028
Post #15 of 16

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Messages
1,557
Reaction score
10
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Posts
1,557
Likes
10
Does the TubeDac allow for tuberolling?
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top