How does the 595 sound for metal?
Jul 5, 2011 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TrantaLocked

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry about practically spamming the forums with all of my questions and being almost bipolar changing my obsessions from one headphone to the next. I upped my budget a tiny bit more this time. 

Many of you may know I have been experiencing internal struggle, searching for an answer - Grado or what? This isn't about that though; I'm going to a hi-fi place nearby to listen to the whole Grado line up and get it over with! In the mean time, I'm thinking of just upgrading from my beloved HD 201s to the HD 555 (and mod to 595 with internal tape removal trick, damn clever Sennheiser bastards XD!). 

My question is, do you guys head bang with these 595s? I might just find some demo 595s at the hi-fi place but I want to get your opinions on this matter. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't know about 595 but I'll tell you my story about my first experience with the 555s.

Disclaimer: I had only heard HD 202, HD 201, image s4, ep630, mdr ex 81 before this point.

Before I got into all this stuff I went to a friend's house to try his HD 555s. I had been lurking these forums before and I knew the senns were highly regarded. Having not heard a single quality full size headphone in my life I put on the 555s and started playing music through. I was greeted with the most unexpected, unexciting sound. I guess I was expecting an audiogasm.

I went through track after track trying to find something that'll make the headphones come alive. I spent a good thirty minutes listening to a lot of genres. Nothing sounded amazing to me. There wasn't anything that I could find fault with though. Except maybe I was expecting it to be a bit clearer. When I gave up and put the headphones down, my friend (who was and still is singing praises about his brother's beats) came up to me and said "What do you say 3.5/5?" And I nodded.

A few weeks later I decided to buy an entry level headphone myself. I listen mostly to rock and metal. I knew grados were the popular choice. Still I wasn't prepared to take the risk because of my 555 experience. I thought maybe it was the fault of open headphones. And then I entered an ebay auction out of curiosity and ended up winning a new SR-60i for 55$. I so regretted it. 

But when the headphones arrived and I put them on.. Whoa! I was blown away! I can see why people say grados are awesome for rock. They do okay for other genres. But they really do come into their own for rock. It seemed like they were made to play rock.

Yes you could say I probably was hearing the sennheiser veil. Maybe they're best for other genres. But it simply failed to impress me. The grados were so much better that I'm now starting to think if there was noise from his laptop soundcard..

Maybe it's just my ears not liking the sennheiser veil. Maybe you need to listen to a lot of other 'phones before you start to appreciate the sennheiser sound. Either way I can't imagine anyone head banging with the headphone I heard or its big brother.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 12
Wait, you like your HD 201s more than the 555s? If that's the case then it must have been the laptop sound card.

Well, tomorrow is judgement day. If they have a 555 or 595 I will be ready to pin this one down in real life. Honestly knowing my HD 201s I know I'd like the HD 555 a lot for its better driver and increased bass, because I don't really find my HD 201s boring besides unfilled guitar due to lack of bass. I'd rather have both the SR-60i AND the 555 :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 12
Although the SR-60i don't have much soundstage, they probably work for you best at this price range.  Extreme metal on an HD600 is just straight up boring.

BTW OP, guitar is boring because you are looking for the bass in your guitar.  Screaming treble makes guitar exciting.  It's like looking for the lower octaves of Rob Halford's voice, damn he is one good vocalist!!!  Listening to Judas Priest right now and haven't enjoy their music this much in a long time
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 12
I thought the Grado line has louder mid range not treble? I think you're mixed up. Higher treble just hurts my ears, doesn't do much for guitar without bass behind it to make it bearable. I'm sure I'll like the Grado lie because they focus on the mid-range, and that's why they rule for metal apparently.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 12

That's actually what I'm hoping for. I'll be borrowing his HD 555 for a while to test it out 
biggrin.gif

In either case since you're auditioning the grados you can't go wrong. It's better to listen to them and be sure.

Quote:
Wait, you like your HD 201s more than the 555s? If that's the case then it must have been the laptop sound card.

Well, tomorrow is judgement day. If they have a 555 or 595 I will be ready to pin this one down in real life. Honestly knowing my HD 201s I know I'd like the HD 555 a lot for its better driver and increased bass, because I don't really find my HD 201s boring besides unfilled guitar due to lack of bass. I'd rather have both the SR-60i AND the 555 :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 12
Well, you have just contradicted literally every review and comment I have ever heard about the Grado lineup.

Quote:

The h595 focus on the midrange, i.e it's where they are best.

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Well, you have just contradicted literally every review and comment I have ever heard about the Grado lineup.

I meant hd595 (forgot the d), which is a sennheiser, I don't see how this contradict what you've heard for grado. I wish to try one day, one of these grados, but if if you say that the strength of the grados is the midrange, then you might just as well get a sennheiser.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 12
I just tried the Grado line, specifically the SR-80i with comfy pads. Comparing to my HD 201:

The Grado SR-80i with comfy pads make the music more inside your head, and that is the largest difference by far. The guitar is staged and sounds better, but not extensively better. The music is bit smoother and clearer as well. The HD 201s don't have as good separation, and separation is one of the biggest differences between the two, but that difference isn't large nevertheless. Treble response was similar, with the SR-80is having a bit more peircing and separated treble but not too much more. The SR-80i had a punchier bass; I was actually pretty surprised at how awesome bass just sounds in general. Sub-bass is missing in both head phones, but the SR-80i does general bass guitar much better. The actual sound of normal electric guitar sounds quite similar, but again the guitar is stretched across the soundstage and more in your head. Metal was of course very exciting with the Grado but when ever I went back to the HD 201, I was like "I'm not really missing any thing here. The guitar just isn't in my face and the sound isn't quite as smooth, but who cares?" I never recognized any "faster" sounding tracks over my HD 201s. Nothing sounded congested on my HD 201s compared to the Grado SR-80i, even in the fastest tracks.

What is the Grado SR-80i? A headphone NOT worth $99 when the HD 201 does what it does just a little bit worse for $20. The SR-80i sounds $30 more expensive than the HD 201, not $80! In fact, I feel like if I were to buy some comfy pads for the HD 201 I'd be getting a very Grado like sound. I tried the SR-60i with BOWLS and man, WAY different sound.

I happened to try the GS1000 with the huge cups. I'm sorry but do NOT waste your money on these head phones. The level of detail people rave about is actually a clever trick because the treble is turned WELL above what it should be. I listened to them and couldn't believe how peircing the treble was, I could barely stand it! What was very cool though, was the BASS on the GS1000. If you want to hear ****ing killer bass with peircing treble the GS1000 is for you. I swear the bass sounded like it was coming from a full tube amp! And the rest of the music wasn't bass overpowered, no wall of mud, the bass stood on its own. Other than that, the music didn't sound too much better, at least for the rediculous price.

In the end, I would take the SR-80i over the HD 201 any day, but am I going to buy a 60i/80i? Simpy, no. I originally started looking for new head phones to add some sub-bass to my empty sounding HD 201s, and the HD 555s offer that extra bass. Between the HD 201s and Grado SR-80i, Grado wins, but I'm done with treble filled head phones, and would rather not make a side-grade to a Grado SR-80i with smoother sounds and bigger guitar. Between the Grado SR-80i and HD 555, HD 555 wins because it has every thing I love about the HD 201 with more detail, larger sound stage, and deeper bass. I honestly would love to have the HD 555 and Grado SR-80i. I can tell when I'm in the need for serious metal listening I would use the Grado, but I can't afford both head phones, and I would use the HD 555 MUCH more than the Grado (for music, movies and gaming).

Was I blown away by the SR-60i/SR80i? No, I wasn't. I'm kind of more like a "music is music" kind of guy, and the differences you guys point out in head phones to me are MUCH smaller. Grado may be BETTER for metal but they don't make metal sound compared to my headphones as good as a lot of users here state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back