How does software audio amplification work?
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

superdragon

Head-Fier
I use a Windows 10 tablet to stream audio to a homemade Bluetooth system. I just installed DeskFX Plus audio enhancement software. I’m very impressed with the results. It comes with some stock equalizer presets. For both music and movies, I prefer the “Retail” preset. I’ve included a screenshot of the settings which show a 200% amplification. The setting works as the sound is louder with it on and the sound gets even louder if I increase the gain. If I disable the equalizer and increase the system volume, the character of the sound isn’t the same. It seems less full.

My main question is, how is this software getting louder sound to the speakers without raising the system or physical amplifier volume?

Also, am wondering if anybody has played around with this software and has any saved DeskFX Plus preset files *.dfx) to share. The “Retail” preset is great for streaming movies and shows, but I find with music, this there is too much treble in the mix, although still an improvement over not using the software.

Ujjapqt.jpg

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 3
It's magic.

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 3
I use a Windows 10 tablet to stream audio to a homemade Bluetooth system. I just installed DeskFX Plus audio enhancement software. I’m very impressed with the results. It comes with some stock equalizer presets. For both music and movies, I prefer the “Retail” preset. I’ve included a screenshot of the settings which show a 200% amplification. The setting works as the sound is louder with it on and the sound gets even louder if I increase the gain. If I disable the equalizer and increase the system volume, the character of the sound isn’t the same. It seems less full.

My main question is, how is this software getting louder sound to the speakers without raising the system or physical amplifier volume?

Also, am wondering if anybody has played around with this software and has any saved DeskFX Plus preset files *.dfx) to share. The “Retail” preset is great for streaming movies and shows, but I find with music, this there is too much treble in the mix, although still an improvement over not using the software.

Ujjapqt.jpg
It's bit shifting the PCM signal up or down. When above 100%, the signal integrity can be compromised because it can shift signal data into clipping and beyond, so generally speaking, I don't recommend it.

What it might do, given the software, is level set the signal so 200% is now the "maximum", lowering everything else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back