how does one select a doctor?
Feb 25, 2006 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Posts
2,571
Likes
14
Just out of curiousity, since I'm getting to the point where I don't want to see my family doctor that my parents frequent anymore, I'd perfer a different doctor more suitable for myself. How does one go about making a doctor their 'family' doctor? Do you shop around, seeing different doctors every time you have an ailment, or is there a better way?
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 17

1911

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Posts
1,656
Likes
10
you get the doctor's picture book and choose the hottest doctor in there.
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 17

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Posts
2,580
Likes
10
You hope to hell that there is an available doctor with an open spot for you...

I know that I still have the same doc since I was a kid and I'm a married man now...It's very difficult to find a doctor that will have open space for you.
Which city are you in?
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 17

KYTGuy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Posts
1,473
Likes
10
Always look for the youngest doctor from the best school.

You want your doctors young because they will have just finished training in the latest techniques and will have the best recollection of the latest drugs and proceedures, and will be more agressive about getting you well.

Look for a FEMALE doctor - they listen to you the best, IMHO.

Attorneys, on the other hand, you want to find the older type, battle hardened, who knows all the tricks an opposing councillor (or judge) can throw at you, (and maybe knows the Judge, the Clerk, the Sheriff, the opposing councillor, etc...). He/She should be one of the Lawyers that cahrges a lot, and is known locally as "the one to get", and who will be charging top dollar rates.

The best advice I ever got from my old man.
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 17

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Posts
2,575
Likes
38
When you belong to an HMO the approved method is:

[size=medium]Enie Minie Miny Mo[/size]
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 17

robzy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Posts
951
Likes
10
You could ask friends for recommendations?

You could go to a local one and see how you like it? If you like it - keep going, if not - go to another local one?

There is no way to "select" a doctor, and to make them your "familly doctor" you just ahve to go there a lot :p Simple as that.

Rob.
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 17

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 9, 2001
Posts
5,110
Likes
15
I ask She Who Must Be Obeyed (who is the director of heart/kidney transplant at a local hospital) to find me three names of young and recently trained docs who did very well during their residencies and whom staff and patients thought the world of. And then I cooperate fully with my doc or tell them when I am not going to cooperate fully. It works very well.

Quote:

Attorneys, on the other hand, you want to find the older type, battle hardened, who knows all the tricks an opposing councillor (or judge) can throw at you, (and maybe knows the Judge, the Clerk, the Sheriff, the opposing councillor, etc...). He/She should be one of the Lawyers that cahrges a lot, and is known locally as "the one to get", and who will be charging top dollar rates.


biggrin.gif
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 17

fante7

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Posts
531
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Always look for the youngest doctor from the best school.

You want your doctors young because they will have just finished training in the latest techniques and will have the best recollection of the latest drugs and proceedures, and will be more agressive about getting you well.

Look for a FEMALE doctor - they listen to you the best, IMHO.



When I needed back surgery, I visited a LOT of doctors to see who would be best for it, I probably saw more than 10 back surgeons. I ended up going with the youngest doctor from the best school, who knew a newer technique that was far superior but more difficult and tedious for the surgeon. I went home from Pittsburgh to New York to have this done at NYU Medical Center. This doctor was a guy and was definitely the best doctor I've ever met. I wouldn't be biased towards either male or female.
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 17

PSmith08

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Posts
1,422
Likes
11
I learned one trick that I have found to work: call the doctor by their first name. If they are cool with it, then you have a partner in the process. If not, then there is always going to be a gulf. A good doctor, to me, is one that is willing to work with you, not on you. I don't remember where I picked that up, but I cannot take credit for it.

Other than that, the advice here is pretty good.
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 17

1911

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Posts
1,656
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
I learned one trick that I have found to work: call the doctor by their first name. If they are cool with it, then you have a partner in the process. If not, then there is always going to be a gulf. A good doctor, to me, is one that is willing to work with you, not on you. I don't remember where I picked that up, but I cannot take credit for it.

Other than that, the advice here is pretty good.



that's ridiculous...no one goes to evil medical school and trains for 12+ years to be called joe by a guy off the street. ludricrous!
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 17

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Posts
4,710
Likes
12
I've found that even smart, discriminating people give bad recommendations for doctors, dentists, etc. Most people WANT to believe that they've received good treatment, so they'll recommend whomever they've seen. At least I've followed through on a few recommendations from folks I've trusted that didn't turn out so well.
I've found good docs and dentists mostly by luck. The common general advice is that you want someone old enough to have good clinical experience, but young enough to keep up with medical advances.
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 17

PSmith08

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Posts
1,422
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
that's ridiculous...no one goes to evil medical school and trains for 12+ years to be called joe by a guy off the street. ludricrous!


You know, I bet they'll cash my check all the same. I don't want a doctor more worried about "being a doctor" than treating my problem. If I have to bow and scrape AND deal with my illness, I think I'll just take my chances and hope it clears up on its own. Call me irreverent...
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 17

discord

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 3, 2005
Posts
1,933
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
that's ridiculous...no one goes to evil medical school and trains for 12+ years to be called joe by a guy off the street. ludricrous!


Who cares? They're still mortals as the rest of us.
 
Feb 25, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 17

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
9,536
Likes
29
Quote:

Avoid doctors/dentists with realy big hands....


Funny, but true. That was one ( a small one) reason I first visited my doctor 22 years ago. Plus, he was well connected. ( President of the Chinese-Canadian Medical Association among other things.) When required, he seems to be able to gain access to the better doctors and can open doors quickly to clinics and specialists. So far, he appears to keep current with the latest medical treatments and procedures. I trust him.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top