How does Little Dot I+ comapre to II+ ?
Nov 10, 2008 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KeItHlOu

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering buying a desktop amp, since they are (I+ Hybird? & MKII+) fairly cheap for a tube amp, how does it sound?

I have heard of the MKII+ are quite bassy, but I just don't know.
Oh, I;ve just found out the MKII has normal MKII and MKII+, what are the difference?

I like warm sound, not too thick and not too fast. I don't how to explain really, just like natural but a bit partial to warmth sound?
I listen to all sort of music..rock, pop, hip hop, r&b etc etc.

Can they drive those 300ohm headphones well?
I am using a DR150 now so shouldn't really worry about that...but I am planning to buy a better headphone later this year, or next year.

Oh, how does the MKIII+ sound? Is it the different story from the I+ & MKII+?

Thanks a lot
k701smile.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, the I+ (not MKI+ which is a portable if I'm not mistaken) is a hybrid amp (tube input only I believe), whereas the MKII and MKIII are tube input and output.

I own the I+, and stock it adds a fair amount of bass. The main draws of it are tube and op-amp rolling and cheap price. Oh, and it is aimed at low impedance headphones (Denons, Audio-Technicas, others).

I wish Little Dot would've thought their naming scheme out a little better. The plus seems to generally mean a revision to amp if that helps.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the I+ (not MKI+ which is a portable if I'm not mistaken) is a hybrid amp (tube input only I believe), whereas the MKII and MKIII are tube input and output.

I own the I+, and stock it adds a fair amount of bass. The main draws of it are tube and op-amp rolling and cheap price. Oh, and it is aimed at low impedance headphones (Denons, Audio-Technicas, others).

I wish Little Dot would've thought their naming scheme out a little better. The plus seems to generally mean a revision to amp if that helps.

Thanks for the reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah my mistake it should be the I+, not the MKI+.
Sorry I am a very new-head, what does tube input does and what does tube output does?

If it aims for low impedance only, I might have to think about it because I am planning to buy HD650 or other high impedance headphones in the furture..

Yeah, the naming issue is really confussing..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 8
The Little Dot II, II+, and II++ are discontinued amplifiers. The MKII is their current model. Personally I would avoid any of the older models due to reliability issues. I have personal experience with them. However, I can not comment on newer Little Dots since I've never owned one.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Little Dot II, II+, and II++ are discontinued amplifiers. The MKII is their current model. Personally I would avoid any of the older models due to reliability issues. I have personal experience with them. However, I can not comment on newer Little Dots since I've never owned one.

thanks, but how does the LDII+/++ or whatever model it is sound?
What are the issues that the older models have?

cheers
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeItHlOu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, but how does the LDII+/++ or whatever model it is sound?
What are the issues that the older models have?

cheers
tongue.gif

I thought the sound was very good for the money, but sound and value mean nothing if it's not reliable. The II+ had heat issues, and was un-fused. Possible fire hazard? The output tubes were extremely rare and had arching problems.

The first II++ developed burned resistors after a couple of weeks. David, who is a great guy, sent me a new unit. That unit lasted a couple of months before the right channel went dead. I fixed it myself. It turned out to be a cold solder joint. Then the headphone jack became noisy. I fixed that. Then the power LED circuit failed. Needless to say, I will not buy anything designed and built in China anymore if I can avoid it.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the sound was very good for the money, but sound and value mean nothing if it's not reliable. The II+ had heat issues, and was un-fused. Possible fire hazard? The output tubes were extremely rare and had arching problems.

The first II++ developed burned resistors after a couple of weeks. David, who is a great guy, sent me a new unit. That unit lasted a couple of months before the right channel went dead. I fixed it myself. It turned out to be a cold solder joint. Then the headphone jack became noisy. I fixed that. Then the power LED circuit failed. Needless to say, I will not buy anything designed and built in China anymore if I can avoid it.

it seems like the only good point are the sound and the value, but the build quality is very bad?

But, can anyone answer my question, does it suitable for the music I listen to? Rock, pop, hip hop etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back