• Akm verita 4490

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Cirrus logic 4398

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 6

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
DAC chips themselves do not tell you how something will sound, especially when you're talking about driving headphones from a DAP.

If you want more accurate overall sound, it's better to use audiophile DACs, amps, and DAC/amps rather than relying on DAPs alone.

The AK4490 chip is good and is used in the Schiit Jotunheim, Bifrost, Modi 2, and Fulla 2. (But it's sort of entry-level as far as serious DACs go.)

What's your budget? Do you need something portable?

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 6

Brad57

New Head-Fier
DAC chips themselves do not tell you how something will sound, especially when you're talking about driving headphones from a DAP.

If you want more accurate overall sound, it's better to use audiophile DACs, amps, and DAC/amps rather than relying on DAPs alone.

The AK4490 chip is good and is used in the Schiit Jotunheim, Bifrost, Modi 2, and Fulla 2. (But it's sort of entry-level as far as serious DACs go.)

What's your budget? Do you need something portable?
Yes i need a good portable dap as well. For desktop dac i am satisfied with how good asus xonar u7 sound ,that i dont need the feel to upgrade. But fiio x1 2nd didnt reach the quality of u7, though it was better than the dac in my phone(wolfson wm8111) which i was using.dap budget will be under 300usd.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 6

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
Yes i need a good portable dap as well. For desktop dac i am satisfied with how good asus xonar u7 sound ,that i dont need the feel to upgrade. But fiio x1 2nd didnt reach the quality of u7, though it was better than the dac in my phone(wolfson wm8111) which i was using.

What I am saying is that you can get better sound by using a DAC/amp with the DAP rather than getting a fancier DAP. For example, the Chord Mojo is ~$500 or under $400 used and will easily outperform most DAPs by themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread