How do you watch DVD's with Headphones?
Jun 2, 2004 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bubbers214

100+ Head-Fier
Wasn't sure where to put this but here goes. I was just curious about those who use headphones to watch DVD's on their computer. I'm wondering what, if any, virtual surround do you use? PowerDVD offers Dolby Headphone and TruXTsurround, and my Nvidia offeres cinesurround. I currently use TruXT, but what do you guys use and why?

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 27
I just use a regular Dolby stereo downmix... can't stand Dolby Headphone, but then again I tend to dislike all forms of sound processing (including crossfeed).

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 27
if you are using the powerdvd dolby headphone, it must be set right. My settings for dolby headphone are DH3: Movie Theator, Dialog Clairyt set to max, speaker size set to about 1/3, and the buttong set on Noisy Envinronment. This seems to be the best sound i get out of dolby headphone so far.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 27
I use WinDVD Platinum on my PC and prefer to use Dolby Headphone over SRS. Although software processing is not as effective as hardware processing like Pioneer DIR1000C/800C, I'm quite satisfied as it really sounds like I'm listening from speakers. SRS doesn't sound natural.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 27
I'm not sure why people assume software processing is inherently inferior to hardware processing? How many people can prove this one way or the other? If anything, software processing (including DSP's and EQ's) should be as good as its possible to get, in these days of 2+ GHz CPU's.

Anyway, back OT, I use and enjoy Dolby Headphone as used in PowerDVD.

Jun 2, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I'm not sure why people assume software processing is inherently inferior to hardware processing? How many people can prove this one way or the other? If anything, software processing (including DSP's and EQ's) should be as good as its possible to get, in these days of 2+ GHz CPU's.

Anyway, back OT, I use and enjoy Dolby Headphone as used in PowerDVD.

I'm not assuming, I actually feel my DIR1000C's DH wider and more natural than my PC(P4 1.6G, Onkyo SE80PCI sound card or Roland UA30 usb audio device)'s WinDVD.

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett

It's not that software processing is inherently inferior. It's that today's general purpose CPUs simply don't have equivalent floating-point performance to custom DSP chips.

Jun 2, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 27
I have a portable Panasonic that offers a couple different types of processing. Every so often I kick one of them in and it sounds good for a bit but then when I switch back to the unmodified 2 channel the frequency response is so much better I leave them off...

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 27
I had exactly the same impression with the Sennheiser DSP Pro. The bypass mode was actually the only one to listen to... and the sound was still nicely spatial.

However, the Silent Cinema feature of my Yamaha receiver was not a disappointment at all - I must say that so far it's the best "headphone theater" DSP feature I've heard.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 27
Oh, and by the way - [size=small]HELLO EVERYBODY!!![/size]...
600smile.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 27
Is there any place to get a Sennheiser DSP Pro anymore? Does it help that much for watching DVDs with your headphones? Is there another equivalent device? Help is appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 27
WinDVD-->M-Audio Transit-->JMT PIMETA-->ATH-A900. Two channel only. The A900 isolates from the PC fans, which is a real benefit.

BW

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 27
welcome spilner! sorry about your wallet.

unless your software or hardware matrixes the 5.1 into 2 channel, go with the dolby stereo track (unless it is really bad i.e. "yellow submarine"). otherwise you are missing audio information in the surround tracks. i usually use sony cd1700 headphones and dolby stereo, no dsp. the headphones really add their own dimensionality to the sound--almost surround, you know?

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 27
k1000s aren't really headphones so I don't know if they count
k1000smile.gif
they are quiteimmersive for movies. i really have to add a sub for them though. that wouldcomplete the movie experience. i just use zoomplayer + regular stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back