How do you take spyware off your PC?
May 30, 2005 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Dimitris

Headphoneus Supremus
Title says it all. I got this spyware on my business laptop and i keep getting many popups thoughtout the day. The weird thing is already has a company firewall that i thought it was protecting it ok so far. Any ideas?
rolleyes.gif

May 30, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
x2

I run zone alarm and spybot... In addition to being behind a Cisco corporate (employee) firewall.

Garrett

They all take off different stuff. I use Ad-aware, Spybot, Zone alarm AND Easy cleaner. Remeber to regularily clean off your temp files.

May 30, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
They all take off different stuff. I use Ad-aware, Spybot, Zone alarm AND Easy cleaner. Remeber to regularily clean off your temp files.

Whats the best way to clear temp files?...
Garrett

May 30, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 40
Changing operating system is no option for me since its not my computer and it will be tough to run SAP/R3 on linux. I will try to do the above and i will let you guys know. Thanks a lot for the replies.

May 30, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Garrett

The way I do it is just to browse to C:\Documents & Settings\[username]\Local Settings (this is a hidden folder)\Temp\ and select & delete everything.

May 30, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 40
the best way is to go to Safe Mode and then run Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware. when you do it in Safe Mode, none of the spyware run in the backround.

May 30, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

I use Ad-aware, Spybot, Zone alarm AND Easy cleaner. Remeber to regularily clean off your temp files.

I add to that list Norton anti-virus running auto-protect and email scanning both ways (send and recive)

Quote:

Garrett

manually so you can "see' what is in there and maybe what is needed to be there (I once deleted all temp files and after could not uninstall a couple of programs because the uninstall content was in temp files) or the windows "cleanup' program

Quote:

In IE, Tools ---> Internet Options ---> Delete temp files, works too.

but only for browser related temp files,not windows temp files where a HUGE amount of stray content seems to end up-including a lot of trojan re-installers on reboot

bottom line the best way to have a clean running computer is to have folks snitch out the retards writing these malicious programs.the "types" that do these deeds are not the type to not tell someone what they do because they want credit at some point.

just tell me !

Tell me who they are and then send me the plane tickets for a visit so i can "moderate" these knucklheads one on one ! Call it doing my bit for society though the antivirus dealers will hate me later
tongue.gif

May 30, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
First, make sure windows messenger service is disabled on your operating system. This is the source of most popups and is not spyware. It is simply the annoying misuse of a windows feature.

Instructions:
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

Thanks a bunch Canman, really... I have spyware but I didnt know why I got the continual messenger popups. I followed the directions and now those annoying messeger popups are gone.
icon10.gif

May 30, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 40
I recently got a trojan from one of those pop-up boxes on the screen. If I was careful, I might have been able to avoid it, but I had to spend hours finding a cure instead. There was no mention of it (bsw.exe) on the antivirus sites - just on the antispyware forums. That's where I heard about "Hijack This" (HJT). After browsing those forums for feedback on my HJT diagnosis, I got rid of those scurvy dawgs.

At that time, I also picked up the Crap Cleaner (CCleaner). It digs deep to remove spyware, and scours your history for Windows, Win Media Player, IE, and Firefox etc. It also reads your registry, warns you of any issues, and fixes them individually or all at once. For Windows 98, it fixed my hokey boot up, constant crashes, and unhijacked one of my Admin Tools (Folder Options). It saved me from reinstalling Win98!

I'm eventually going to put Linux on my box for web browsing - especially in light of this ransomware business.

edit: I picked up the Trojan using IE6 on WinXP Pro. I'm now a Firefox convert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back