How do you remove the insulation foam from the UR40?
Mar 28, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 11
from what I recall... gently pull the pads off. Stretch them and they will come off. You will see 4 screws, take them off to separate the driver plate from the earcup. Pull the foam out from there and re-assemble.

Garrett

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 11
Actually, there are only 3 screws; top, bottom left and bottom right. And you don't have to remove the pads first. In fact, it's easier in the long run if you leave the pads on. Just use a small phillips screwdriver to gently lift the pad and you will see the screws. I don't even take the screws all the way out, I just unscrew them until I feel them release and then screw them back in about a quarter turn. All this makes it much easier to reassemble when you're done.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 11
the mod is complete.

It took awhile to put the pads back on, but the UR40s do sound much better.

thanks!
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
the mod is complete.

thanks!
biggrin.gif

If you need to disassemble them again it is much easier to reassemble if you put the pads on first.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
the mod is complete.

thanks!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

They are a great phone. I sold mine to a co worker for $15 and regret it completely.

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 11
I had removed the foam from mine previously but thought it sounded a little tinny. So I just opened mine back up and filled the enclosure with very loose cotton. I must say that it definitely is an improvement over either of the other configurations. I then decided to try the angle mod but I didn't want to cut up the foam that came out of the UR40's. So I took a pair of quarter modded RS pads that had once been on my SR80's and folded them in half. I stuffed one under the rear of each UR40 pad. Soundstage does appear to be expanded but what I notice mostly is that they are even more comfortable because they seal around the ear better. I never fail to be amazed by the 60 ohm Koss headphones.

*Edit* - I am listening to Massive Attack on my recently modded UR40's and I have to say that these sound fantastic!
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Well, after removing the foam from my UR40's I realized that the drivers aren't held in place very tightly without it. This could be the result of swapping drivers several times. Regardless of the reason, I noticed that the drivers sometimes moved if I moved my head and that they would occasionally rattle if I was listening to a bass heavy song (like any Massive Attack song
basshead.gif
). So I took them apart yet again, took the drivers out and put a VERY thin bead of poster tack inside the indention where the driver sits. I then replaced the drivers, applying just enough pressure to seat them into the poster tack. Problem solved. And did I mention that they sound FANTASTIC?!?

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back