How do you organise digital music?
Sep 19, 2005 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

gamefreak

New Head-Fier
Looking for good ways to get all my music in some order so that I can easily get to it.

At the moment I'm doing folders by Genre->Artist->Album. I'm finding it takes a lot of "digging" though.

Any advice?

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 28
Well, there's always itunes, but I don't like Itunes. There should be a plugin for Foobar that lets you search for songs like Itunes does without disturbing your neatly tucked away file structure.

My search for the perfect player continues...

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 28
I simply do Artist>Album, with the occasional folder labled "Soundtracks" or "Video Game Music".

ps: If you are careful with your iTunes settings, you can use it with it disrupting your organization.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 28
I just have my music separated by Artist, with their albums within that folder. I found it to be the easiest method since I sometimes want to search for an artist and cue up all of the albums.

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 28
Drive\Music\(first letter of artist)\artist\date - album\tracknumber - track.extension

examples:

E:\Music\D\Dream Theater\2005 - Octavarium\01 - The Root Of All Evil.ape

E:\Music\F\Fleetwood Mac\1977 - Rumours\05 - Go Your Own Way.ape

Of course I've got about 360GB of music in my main rig, so I have to be kinda anal just to keep track of it all.
biggrin.gif

BTW the advantages of this method are that within each artist folder, the albums are automatically sorted in the order of their release, and within each album folder the songs are in the same order as on the CD.

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 28
i tag each song as fully as i can - itunes helps. then i tweak the albums by renaming them by alternative, classical, etc - i group all the one hit wonders and such that way, the rest i keep in album mode. then i use playlists too.

that way on my ipod i can get groupings by playlist, or albums i've already pre-grouped, or just use search by artist if i've spread em throughout albums (sting can be in 80s, acoustic, live, etc).

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 28
Music\Artist\Album\Song

If I don't have the full album, I just put the songs into the artist's folder. I use winamp, and have the database updated, so I use it that way, it is easy to create a fast playlist from there.

Sep 20, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockFan
Music\Artist\Album\Song

If I don't have the full album, I just put the songs into the artist's folder. I use winamp, and have the database updated, so I use it that way, it is easy to create a fast playlist from there.

Database? Tell me more Batman!

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 28
if the number of artists you listen to is manageable, you can do without genre folders - but i need them.

i use genres and i would overlook (e.g. never listen to) a lot of my music if i didn't. the difficult task is to find genres that really mean something to you and let you quickly find what you're in the mood for.

a big problem is the otherwise great and free cddb: their genre definitions are utterly worthless, with more misses than hits, some amusing, some astounding. one example among many: they don't seem to have the slightest grasp what "new age" means - the range of artists put there is all-encompassing, from folk and blues rock to psychedelic rock, gothic metal, hardcore punk...

so you have to find your own genres and try to have them overlap as little as possible. sometimes two genres are similar enough to merit combining them.

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Drive\Music\(first letter of artist)\artist\date - album\tracknumber - track.extension

examples:

E:\Music\D\Dream Theater\2005 - Octavarium\01 - The Root Of All Evil.ape

E:\Music\F\Fleetwood Mac\1977 - Rumours\05 - Go Your Own Way.ape

Of course I've got about 360GB of music in my main rig, so I have to be kinda anal just to keep track of it all.
biggrin.gif

BTW the advantages of this method are that within each artist folder, the albums are automatically sorted in the order of their release, and within each album folder the songs are in the same order as on the CD.

I do this pretty much the same, except skipping the letter step (of course I only have 180gb
tongue.gif
). Having them all in the same folder isnt a problem at all, whenever I want to find a specific artist I just type the first three letters.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 28
Not unlike Iron_Dreamer, I organise mine as: \\Artist\Album\# - Track
Example: F:\Music\Qntal\Illuminate\06 - Am Mrogen Fruo (remix by Bruno Kramm).flac

Individual tracks are tagged at least with artist, album, title and year. Sometimes I bother with genre, but I have some stuff (like Lucia's [From the Land of Volcanos]) that just doesn't fit well into any particular genre, so I've never given much attention to that. Someday I might, though... CDDB's is certainly worthless; I'll usually at least correct it somewhat (like changing Nightwish's sometime-classification as "folk" back to something intelligent, like "metal").

I kinda like the release year preface in the directory structure, too... except then the albums wouldn't be in alphabetical order
wink.gif
(foorbar playlists, which I keep sorted by paths, would make more sense, though. Crap that's a lot of stuff to change!)

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 28
Artist - Album Name [Modifiers] as the folder name and then Track # - Song Title as the file name with full ID3V2 tags on the mp3s.

I would like to try another scheme but renaming all existing music would be a pain.

Example

dream theater - master of puppets [bootleg, vbr]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back