how do you guys conduct ur reviewing process?
Oct 14, 2002 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

taipeileviathan

100+ Head-Fier
not sure if this thread belongs here, but this is the forum where most reviews appear. so yeah, i want to do a review/comparison between my ety's with my stax 2020's as well as a comparison between my sony d-cj01, my computer as a source, and the cambridge audio d500 cdp that i just got from audiogon (for 188 including shipping!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)... but i'm not sure how to do it. i can definitely hear the difference between things, but i'm just not sure how to put it in eloquent engrish...
confused.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 5
If you're going to review the Staxes, then you should probably review them with a better source. Otherwise, you'll just be reporting on the shortcomings of your source since the headphones are so much better. You should match your components carefully, be sure you're familiar with the sound of your components. Reserve a setup as your reference rig. Once you've done that, plug in the new set of phones and report on how the new set sounds. If you feel that your reference set isn't good enough for the phones you're reviewing, see if any of your friends have better components. However, be sure to listen to a CD that you're familiar with and listen to the CD with your reference phones first so that you know what you're comparing.

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 5
make it more 'notes style' then?

For the review that I did for the guys at T-forums and later reviews for others, I'd write all comments on the phones as I was listening to them, on a notebook. If I was outside doing the comparisons, I'd make entries in my PDA. I'd then flesh it out later.

there's nothing stopping you keeping them note style as long as people can understand it...

Oct 14, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 5
biggrin.gif

thanks for the advice... i think the d500 should be a pretty decent source for my staxes... i have the staxes now cuz i figured it'd be more economical to buy a great set of hps, then upgrade other components later, rather than to upgrade both ends of the rig step by step... plus, well, i'm having fun listening to them rite now with my present sources (so sue me... staxes thru a computer...
tongue.gif
). it was especially enjoyable when i got my d-cj01 to hear the difference between my computer and the cj01, and i love the music i listen to either way, so i really dun mind deficiencies in the source (unless it's something like, <160kpbs mp3's... those just hurt my ears). now i'm just really looking forward to the cambridge audio, cuz i think i'll be very impressed at what a huge difference different source components can make...
smily_headphones1.gif

here're s'more, slightly more specific questions: how long (how many times) do u guys listen to each song in the review process? when u listen to the songs, do u tend to just sit back and enjoy, see if anything special perks ur ear as ur listening, or do u focus on particular details in the song, like a certain part in the bassline or the sound of rimshots or the sibilance on a certain phrase etc.. do u listen to the whole song thru, then switch setups, or do u hear a part at which u think, "this would be a good place to test on the other rig" and then switch immediately? the thing is, i can't really tell differences between my pcdp and my computer unless i sit back and listen for at least 5 minutes or so, but by then i'd imagine that i wouldn't be able to recall many of the details that a good review should have. perhaps i will try using magic's advise...
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 5
it took me a long time of listening to my headphones and some different setups of my system before i really started to hear a difference in things. i found it so amazing how someone like jude can describe two different cables like they are a mountain and a desert. but here's what i eventually ended up doing for quick and easy impressions that are generally accurate:

1. pick one of your favorite cds. doesn't have to be a perfect recording (but it helps), just make sure that you know it fairly well and like to listen to it because you're going to be listening to it for at least an hour.

2. pick your best source and cables and amp. start with the simple stuff: headphone differences. in my opinion, differences between grado and sennheiser are very easy to pickup as oppose to differences between cables and sub-$1000 sources. start listening to the album with the first headphone. listen to track one and maybe half of track two; listen till you get a good idea of how it sounds. listen to the bass, mids, highs. listen to details.. how does that guitar sound? does it sound real? more fake? is this a good or bad thing? then switch to your next headphone. start with simple things like how smooth or grainy or detailed the sound is. don't get ahead of yourself. come up with some ideas for the amp or headphones and post them. chances are, people will post in your thread and either agree or disagree with you. either way, you'll learn from it.

i've done this twice (i think) now and it has always churned up some great responses. especially if you own something that kelly owns.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back