How do you explain to your significant other when....
Apr 28, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Region2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was laughing while reading this and the fiancee read what I was reading and she just walked and way said "remember, the rate is 10 times."

State that she can spend 10 times the rate your depreciating them at over 10 years. For instance you spend 5k on audio equipment you expect that to be worth around $3500 in 10 years. 5k - 3.5k/10 = $150 per year. Which according to her rate of 10 times would give her $1500 to spend. Because technically you haven't wasted any money. Then you can apply the same logic to her purchases.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #47 of 75
Relate it something she understands. My mom's practically a luddite but she understood my need for multiple headphones faster than anyone else I've known, since she related it to her need for multiple pairs of shoes. In addition, you could always point out to her that while your headphones may be expensive, they retain their value a lot better than most electronics nowadays. With most gadgets, 2 years is the most they retain any resale value at all.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #48 of 75
Just tell her your old phones broke...?
And then they were magically fixed after a while.....

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #49 of 75
Honesty is the best policy. Don't lie about it because she'll find out eventually.

That said, I wouldn't make any unrealistic promises. A hobby is a hobby; simply a personal preference.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #50 of 75
Sell the HD800's
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #51 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or even drinking, smoking and partying.

uh ..no way ..that's part of my lifestyle, not a hobby
icon10.gif
Smoking does get kinda spendy though
frown.gif

As for dealing with your better half, the sooner you make her understand that this is your hobby, interest and that sh'e got to deal with it (so long as you are not dipping into your joint savings if you have any) the better for you. Else you will always have some noise in the background.
biggrin.gif
. Stay truthful and oh yeah..tell her to make you a sandwich from time to time. That should straighten things and her out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
State that she can spend 10 times the rate your depreciating them at over 10 years. For instance you spend 5k on audio equipment you expect that to be worth around $3500 in 10 years. 5k - 3.5k/10 = $150 per year. Which according to her rate of 10 times would give her $1500 to spend. Because technically you haven't wasted any money. Then you can apply the same logic to her purchases.

I should she works for an investment bank, so I should use that logic on her. She's being like that because she needs more hobbies. Shopping was good when she was into her aromatherapy stuff. Talk about something unnecessarily expensive.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #53 of 75
I've been through this with my wife also. It's a pain in the arse but that's all part of commitment. You make sacrifices, you try to understand, or you just simply compromise. I had a big fight over buying the Sony R10, El Doug's in particular, but in the end i just had to let it go. We ended up agreeing to me selling my very first pair of audiophile headphone's (HD650), so i could fund for the K1000. Ultimately, I acquired something i wanted and so did she, which was saving roughly $5,800.

Try to maintain a balance with your wife, especially with trust, if you start doing this early on, it could lead to bigger problems in the future. After all, you'll be spending the rest of your life with her.

Edit: Who know's maybe i'll even put my Dream Car fund on hold and go for my dream vinyl rig. It's so so tempting, but then again, a 1970 Dodge Charger is just so dog gone hard to pass up.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #54 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been through this with my wife also. It's a pain in the arse but that's all part of commitment. You make sacrifices, you try to understand, or you just simply compromise.

Yep, same here, though I've managed to avoid fights about it.

First off, to the OP, making a promise and then breaking it is a bad move. She has a right to be pissed if she is. You need to work though that and figure out a a better approach in the future.

A better approach would be to explain to her that this is your passion, and relate it to a passion that she has that you don't quite understand. She doesn't have to understand why it's important to you, just that it is important to you. If she can't wrap her head around it, and if it is REALLY an important facet of your life; part of what makes you you; then you may need to reconsider being with her.

My wife understands that audio equipment and music are my passion and give me great joy. As long as it's kept within reason (i.e. not depriving us of necessities like food, equipment is piling up with nowhere to go, and isn't interfering with my husbandly/parenting duties), everything is cool. And I can respect that - it's reasonable.

She likes to go to new places, which involves weekend trips with the family staying at a hotel. This is what makes her happy. She enjoys the research, planning, and anticipation of the trip. It's not my thing, but I get that she enjoys it and it makes her happy. So, I don't give her crap about our trips, and she doesn't give me crap about my audio purchases. This works much better than if I were to try to hide it from her. No matter what, they will always find out :).

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #55 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, apart from the "moment you drive them off the lot" depreciation, I haven't noticed that appreciable a depreciation in headphone equipment (at least, on the FS forum), unless there's noticeable damage or there's a true upgrade (like the HD580->HD600). Brand spanking new equipment, maybe, but the price on the FS forum seems to reflect more the supply/demand and the condition of the equipment rather than the age. It's certainly not like a car, and definitely not like computer equipment.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #56 of 75
Accounting depreciation is something we apply to assets based on usable life, not market value.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #57 of 75
I have a simple arrangement with my wife. I am allowed to spend about $3000 every year on anything I want to buy. I collect Fountain pens and audio equipment and in a way it was nice that I got a cap on my buying rate. I was spending way too much money at one point in life but was never in debt or anything. I cut costs elsewhere to afford my hobbies. I used to buy her jewelery too. Later I realized that she just does not like to spend money even if I am getting stuff for me or for her. Married life is about sacrifices... Sigh...

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accounting depreciation is something we apply to assets based on usable life, not market value.

I am fully aware of that but I was just posing an alternative to his fiance's barbaric scheme with something that might be a bit more of an equitable alternative.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #60 of 75
Don't make promises that you know you cannot keep. Put yourself in her position...it does not exactly foster trust. Trust is a fundamental component of any intimate relationship between people, be it friendship or a marriage. Without it, well, for me, I'd rather be on my own than with someone I do not trust. Hiding it does not make this issue go away. If you know you are going to continue along this path of buying more gear I would apologize to her for making the promise in the first place (do that regardless) and try to explain your passion to her as best you can. If she cannot live with your "addiction" you may have to weigh what the addiction adds to your life vs. what your partner adds to your life. If it were me, that would be a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back