HOW DO YOU DELETE PRIVATE MESSAGES??????

Discussion in 'Feedback & Bug Reports' started by Jodet, Jul 4, 2017.
  1. Jodet
    I have looked and looked and cannot find any mechanism for deleting private message out of my in basket.

How do you do this???

Very frustrating.

2. chef8489
    you click on leave private message.

3. DJ The Rocket
    Can you explain this? I don't follow you

Edit: apparently on the desktop version of the site, there is indeed a link that says Leave Message that, after a pointless dialog box, will indeed delete the message from your inbox.

I never in a million years would have guessed that "leave" = "delete". Um. What. That is so random and mystifying. [Good] website design ought to make things clear and intuitive, but no...

In what country or culture in the world would people understand that? Completely baffling. What's more, here are the completely incorrect Official directions courtesy of head-fi itself:

Delete private messages

• Navigate to your message center.
    • You have two options to delete a message. At the top of each message thread, you will see an "X." Click the X to delete the message without viewing the entire thread.
    • You can also delete the message by clicking the "Delete" button at the bottom of the expanded thread.countr

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. Muinarc
    If you go to the main Private Messages area (by clicking the envelope next to your user name at the top-right of the forum, you hit the checkbox next to the "thread" of private messages and it opens a pop-up. In that pop-up, there is a drop-menu, in there, you choose "leave private message" then hit go.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  5. DJ The Rocket
    Wait so can you do a batch delete? Nothing you describe is on the website I get. I only get Leave Message in the actual message, so you have to go through one by one, which is so onerous I've already given up trying

6. chef8489
    YEs you cab do batch delete or batch leave messages. You click view all messages. Then it brings up check boxes and allows you to edit and select all messages.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. DJ The Rocket
    Are you using Android, or Windows, or other? And what browser? Because I don't get the check boxes on Android / Chrome

8. chef8489
    Um when
    Um when I use chrome on android I sure do. Just installed it and tried it. I usually use firefox on both winbdows and android, but used chrome just now on both and both had the boxes to check.

9. FieldEffect
    Don't see a delete option on my account either.

[​IMG]

10. chef8489
    Click on leave private message.

11. FieldEffect
    Already clicked on leave private message. That's how I got to the screen with the drop down menu I posted.

12. chef8489
    once you select the box next to that message then select leave private message that message disappears.

13. FieldEffect
    I did the leave private message again, then it gave me two rather weird choices: 1) accept new replies, 2) ignore new replies. Option 2 is supposedly the equivalent of delete, although it comes with the extra caveat that if someone ever tries to reply to that "deleted" thread, you'll never see it.

In any case, thanks. At least I understand how it works now, even if it is rather wonky.

14. chef8489
    the first option deletes the conversion but allows it to be revived if someone replies to it in the future.

15. FieldEffect
    Ah, OK.