how do you deal with solder fumes?
Nov 10, 2002 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mikey

Head-Fier
hi, any suggestions? what do you guys use to prevent breathing in these fumes? i tried a fan, a mask, leaving the windows and doors open (not a good idea where i am - it gets warmish and air conditioning is on pretty much all the time) - and i still breathe in these yukky fumes -
frown.gif

cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

I use a fan and take breaks whenever I find myself arguing with the talking mouse in the corner.

I only take breaks when the mouse starts to win.

Nov 10, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 16
Hello,

I have desk at my window. So I open it up when I do soldering. I found this natural venting more than satisfactory. Fumes will dissipate within few sec.

I think fumes aren't so important since unless you work ALL DAY with flux, fumes wouldn't effect you. Unless of course you are smoking that stuff. Us, reasonable people, hold their breathes when white fumes comes up to their faces.

Tomo

P.S.

Mikey! Your place is hot!? It's darn cold down here. it was freezing below and in a few weeks it will be like north pole. I will trade your place any day. I would rather be roasted than freeze to death. ...

Nov 10, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 16
There's a Hakko fume extration station that has a fume sucker attachable to Hakko irons - like a hose that runs in parallel to the iron and ends up next to the tip.

hj3010.jpg

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Possum
There's a Hakko fume extration station that has a fume sucker attachable to Hakko irons - like a hose that runs in parallel to the iron and ends up next to the tip.

hj3010.jpg

Now that is hardcore! Personally I do my soldering in a garage so I just open it up when the fumes get bad. (Nice mouse... nice mouse.... give me back the soldering iron.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back