how do you correctly wear the ES7s? (pics inside)
Oct 25, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
guys, i was curious:

omg.jpg

i usually wear my ES7 as portrayed by the blue circle. i would say that this is actually the circumaural way of wearing the cans, because it sits around my ears. i get a very forward and bright sound, and it really hurts the ears after wearing because the outer part of the ear is heavily pressed by the inner edge of the foams. nevertheless i am quite satisfied by the sound.

then I tried moving the cans as portrayed by the red circle. it now fits the term supra aural because it sits on the ears (am i having the correct definition?). the volume becomes lower, but after i raise it to my normal hearing level, i was quite surprised. i can hear much better separation and much wider soundstage, and it sounds much warmer and less harsh than how i previously hear these cans.

so am I actually wearing it correctly now?
my concerns are that these simple (and quite stupid) adjusting really change the nature of the cans. skylab's review states that these cans have very good soundstage. i was really surprised by this claim until i wear my cans this way, as previously i hear almost no soundstage in my ES7s.
and also, i am concerned by some people really hating the ES7 sound- is it because they are turned away by the very forward and harsh sound delivered if you wear it "wrongly"?

if there is actually a "wrong" and a "correct" way of wearing ES7s, then it will be valuable information as we can suspect some bad sayings about ES7s are caused by the wrong way of wearing.

i need your opinions ES7 heads!

*disclaimer: sorry if i am using wrong terms/ wrong way of analysing- i'm a newbie!

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 6
yes, i saw that article in meyer audio but i thought that's only for circumaurals.

wow. so i havent been hearing my ES7 in its full awesomeness all these days.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 6
honestly, based on meier's little animation or w/e, with both my HD-580's and D2000's, you don't really notice much difference moving them forward that little bit

with the HD-580's it does next to nothing

with the D2000's it can widen the soundstage a bit on some tracks, but thats about it, it isn't like night and day kabam in your face

however, with my SR-60's, if I don't wear them as per the red circle, I lose all LF and imaging potential

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 6
definitely the red circle. I love my ES7 ... in fact the Super.fi 5pro that I bought for something more portable, which cost me considerably more dinero, mostly sits in its little aluminum case in a desk drawer unless I'm gettin in a little exercise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back