How Do You Choose Frame for Your Glasses?
Jul 23, 2008 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I know it sounds trivial, but I am sure there are things that we have to really consider when choosing frame for your glasses.
We'll put it on for many hours everyday, so I want to know what factors are important in order to prevent dizziness or other unhealthy issues that may result from wrong/uncomfortable frame on your face.

Can someone give me some tips please?

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 18
I usually trust the optician (or those who work in the store).
They see your face shape and find some frames which match it. Then try them on and see if you find one you like.

I have picked out two frames that way and am very pleased with the result.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually trust the optician (or those who work in the store).
They see your face shape and find some frames which match it. Then try them on and see if you find one you like.

I have picked out two frames that way and am very pleased with the result.

This is the best way to do it. Be sure to find an optician that will tell you when something doesn't suit. Our family optician, who we have used for years, refuses to sell people frames which don't suit them, which is pleasing.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 18
Protip: get a frame that is thin/short at the part that hooks behind your ears, your ears will thank you for it when you are wearing headphones.

When you get the really large frames, they often press against or cut into the pads in ways it shouldn't, which is really annoying.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 18
I never heard of frames causing dizziness. I usually choose small, oval shaped frames but I may go frameless for my next pair.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 18
Sit down with the optician and try on a bunch of pairs. My optometrist's shop has a nice selection and the employees are fun and helpful. Usually takes 30-60 minutes and they'll tell you if something doesn't look good.

Everyone wants to order stuff online these days, but you should get glasses in person. They are a medical device and usually a requirement (if you need them) to drive a car. And you usually have them on every waking moment of the day. It's worth paying to have them done right.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 18
They type of prescritption can also impact the type of frames you choose. If you only need glasses for reading, for example, you might initially choose a small lens or half-frame that you can wear further down your nose. Then you can look up to see far and look down when you need to do close up work. I do not wear glasses all the time, but face shape seems to be an important factor in choosing a frame.

The finest-looking, young saleslady at my local optometry shop nudged me into a nice, expensive frame. That was a pleasant experience.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 18
I had this lame idea that the thick black square frame (Gucci) would look cool, at that time it seemed like a good idea, since then I have had everyone say its "not cool". Oh well, I still find them to be comfortable atleast.

Best to go with the suggestions above though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 18
Try them on and look at the size of the frames and the length of the temples and then go online and see if there is a pair you like and order them. You can save some bucks that way and get exactly the pair you want. If your not comfortable doing that then have the optician order them so you can look at them before you buy them. I have the ladies at our place get frames in all the time for me to check out.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 18
I typically either get wire-frames, or some of the smallest "impact" frames they have there, typically half-frames.

I'm due in for a new set and I think I'm going back to wire-frames with slightly oval lenses. Being as my lenses are pretty thick, I absolutely loathe anything heavier than a frame size one step up from wire-frames.

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 18
Fortunately, my eye sight is not that bad. I just try on the frames to see what they look like. Half the time the optician tries to sell you "fashionable" glasses that IMO are awful. I tend to go for small oval frames. I don't know what I'm going to do in a year or 2 when I need bifocals or progressives. I tried progressives a couple of years ago and hated them. My eyes aren't bad enough to justify surgery.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Something that suits your face shape: I usually end up with rectangular frames.

I'm Asian, so I also need glasses with an adjustable nose bridge.

I generally go in and try a bunch on and see what I'm happy looking in the mirror at.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 18
I test each frame by smashing it against concrete numerous times. Whichever one survives (the best), I buy.

I don't really know how I go about "choosing" frames. I try them on to see if they are comfortable, and check their build/durability. I also trust my optometrist, as she knows me very well, and gets me discounts on designer frames. I have Versaces, and they've lasted almost 5 years of "extreme" sports and hardcore abuse.

As for design, I prefer thinner metal, rectangular w/ curved edges. I can't go wire because of my prescription, they can't compress my lenses enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back