1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

How do you carry your amp

Next

Last
  1. donaldekelly Contributor
    Just got an amp - portaphile. Same size as the supermacro 3 and a little smaller than the SR71.

I rubberbanded it to the back of my IRiver320 - but that is a pocketful. If I dared to take the case off the IRIver it would be smaller.

Any suggestions?

And what the heck do you do with all those cords? Is there a 4-6 inch cord to connect the amp and source? Preferrably with small angled connectors like the ER4-P to S connector has.

Thanks

2. Sleestack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
    Just got an amp - portaphile. Same size as the supermacro 3 and a little smaller than the SR71.

I rubberbanded it to the back of my IRiver320 - but that is a pocketful. If I dared to take the case off the IRIver it would be smaller.

Any suggestions?

And what the heck do you do with all those cords? Is there a 4-6 inch cord to connect the amp and source? Preferrably with small angled connectors like the ER4-P to S connector has.

Thanks

I either use a camera case or I put my iPod mini on my belt and the amp in my pocket. Grado makes a nice 6" mini to mini with angled connectors... only $20.

3. atx
    Quote:

And what the heck do you do with all those cords? Is there a 4-6 inch cord to connect the amp and source? Preferrably with small angled connectors like the ER4-P to S connector has

I got a 6" cardas interconnect from headroom, but honestly it's pretty lousy. The cable is too stiff, and 6" is a little too short. 12" would be more ideal. Also, both ends are right-angled, which is awkward when going into the amp.

I use a camera case as well and don't even bother to rubber band it. Both my ipod and the amp goes into the case.

4. some1x
    Can you link to Grado's mini-mini interconnect?

5. The Actual
    Do you want to carry them comfortably without a bag? That might be kind of difficult...

I carry my amp and CD player in my backpack, and then run the headphone cord under my right arm and then into and out of my right pocket in order to help wrangle all of the extra cord.

6. episiarch Contributor
    Cases: you might look at cell phone cases, which come in a wide variety of sizes and configurations. If you're lucky, you might even find one with an antenna cutout that matches the location of your volume knob. (I'm not kidding about that. Tamrac makes a cell phone case that's a really nice fit for the Serpac 9V enclosure of my Pimeta, and which has an antenna cutout right where I need it to reach the knob.)

Cables: HeadRoom sells the 6" Cardas cable mentioned earlier, and the same cable in a 12" version, and also carries another 12" cable under the HeadRoom brand which is very flexible and easy to wind around / through / under things. That last one could be the ticket if you're trying to hook it all together.

7. Dimitris
    I use a camera case as well. It fits ipod-sr-71-batteries-dock and mini to mini nicely. [​IMG]

8. philodox Contributor
    I use the Headroom Traveller bag for my portable rig and a Headroom Headcase for my AKG K271 Studio's [when they arent on my head]. The Traveller is great, with cable grommets and lots of different sections. [​IMG]

The Headcase that I have is the old version with a strap... I wear both bags messenger style with the straps running from my left shoulder to my right rear hip. I stagger them so that it sort of looks like one longer bag at a quick glance. My Wife always says that it looks like I'm going for a hike instead of going to work since the Headcase sort of looks like a canteen. [​IMG]

9. Oski
    Here's what I do with my Portaphile v.2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPod sock for the amp (or mine was from eBay), and the Agent18 clear case for the mini using the iPod supplied belt clip to the sock.

10. RnB180 Contributor
    the cardas cable IMO sounds poor, but far from stiff, Ive owned both the 6" and 12", not great sounding but flexible with small connectors. anything thinner then that and youre really taking a hit with sound quality.

11. donaldekelly Contributor
    Thanks to all for the good advice.

Duh! (brain starts working again). A camera bag is a great idea. The amp and IRiver are about the size of a camera together - so it makes sense.

I bought a camera bag at an office store for $10 today.

I will check into the cables when I have more money. The IRiver cable I am using is pprreettyy thin. The radio shack one I also have has pretty big plugs and - well - radio shack quality I suppose.

12. rhythmdevils
    Cable:I had Larry at headphile make me a 6" cable, all shrink wrap, so its extra stiff so i dont have to worry about kinking it in my pocket, and i heated it up and bent it so it goes directly from one to the other, with the ipod ontop of the SR-71.

Case: I found a measuring tape (the kind that rolls up) belt case, that has no clasps or anything, just a cloth cup. But it perfectly fits my ipod and SR-71, and due to the sticky rubber nature of my ipod case, they arent going to fall out on their own. It works great. But I got a utility size belt for it and i put that over my shirt, so the thing rides up higher than my legs can manage to bump into, and it is reallly dorky, esspecially with my huge woodied HD600's. But when weighing looks vs. sound, i'll take sound any day [​IMG]

you could probably find a measuring tape belt case with a clip too, check home depot or orchard supply or hardware store.

13. Juergen
    Quote:

I bought a camera bag at an office store for $10 today.

Any pics? I just got an H320 the other day and will be using it with a PortaCorda MKII. I have been looking at camera bags this weekend but haven't come up with anything I like yet.

14. donaldekelly Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
    Any pics? I just got an H320 the other day and will be using it with a PortaCorda MKII. I have been looking at camera bags this weekend but haven't come up with anything I like yet.

Well, for what it is worth - here is my "Icon image lab - Point and Shoot Camera Bag" (First thing I found that was big enough - at office depot.

(Images attached)

One cord is the Etymotic p to s adapter cable, the other is the IRiver mini cable. The IRiver cable will be replaced. The less cable length the better.

I don't know if this is helpful, but here it is.

15. Juergen
    Quote:

I don't know if this is helpful, but here it is.

It does. I was in Office Depot this morning. I almost bought that exact bag [​IMG] . The only thing that stopped me was that I wanted an all black bag. It definitely helps seeing the gear in it (for scale).

Next

Last