How do you 'burn in' headphones? Repeat or shuffle?
Jul 27, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #31 of 37

Quote:
I use FM radio at moderate volume for headphone burn-in, usually tuned to an "urban rock" station that has plenty of thumping bass. (I don't actually listen to such stations, but they work great for burn-in). I never liked the idea of letting a CD player run for hundreds of hours straight, due to wear on the laser, heat build up, etc.

Same here.  I pick a radio station, have the volume little louder than usual and leave the phones in for 24 hours.  If I'm still not happy with the sound, I'll still have enough time to return the phones.

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #32 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman458 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bad headphones will never sound good no matter how many hours you put on them.

I agree with this. If you don't like what you're hearing once you put them on your head there's a good chance that even after burn-in, your mind won't be changed. When I owned the Sennheiser PC350, it sounded terrible and I really hoped it would change after burn-in. In the end, nothing changed and I ended up returning them. You can't polish a turd
tongue.gif

My burn-in procedure is simple, play pink noise non-stop on repeat on louder than normal listening volume with my zune and put them in a drawer for a week or two.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #34 of 37
I put on some of my favorite music and enjoy!

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #35 of 37
Katun - Hi

I recently bought 2 new pair of AKG 702. There seems little doubt from numerous reports that these benefit from extended 200 hour burn in. In my case I simply did replay on a track or album typical of my listening and made sure the volume was as loud as I could normally listen. I left them unattended for long periods - eg 48 hours but did give them a break or two in the process.

Very sweet sounding after burn in.

cheers

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #37 of 37

Quote:
Katun - Hi

There seems little doubt from numerous reports that these benefit from extended 200 hour burn in.

Not necessary, after 100 hours they sound better...just give them some time until the drivers relax. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back