How do you 'burn in' headphones? Repeat or shuffle?
Jul 26, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #16 of 37
Especially with the K 701 it's not just about driver break-in, but also earpads wear-in, which makes a considerable difference. So letting it play somewhere in a drawer is only half the process. This for I recommend bass-heavy music and loud levels if you really want to benefit from an accelerated break-in. Otherwise you could just break it in by listening to it. – It doesn't matter if you repeat one song or shuffle through a playlist.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #17 of 37
There was a very good review of the K701 on Amazon that I took a snippet of:

"One major caveat: they MUST be broken in for at least 300 hours before their true glory becomes apparent. I put my 701s in a drawer, covered 'em with sweaters and left Oregon's Out Of The Woods on repeat, loud, for 10 days when I got them. The harsh, brittle sound that made me cringe when I first heard them out of the box was replaced by shimmering joy. I was in heaven (that sublime album had something to do with it as well). Little did I know that there is an upper deck in heaven, and it showed up at about 500 or maybe 600 hours of playing."

This is pretty much the reason for this thread.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #20 of 37
I use FM radio at moderate volume for headphone burn-in, usually tuned to an "urban rock" station that has plenty of thumping bass. (I don't actually listen to such stations, but they work great for burn-in). I never liked the idea of letting a CD player run for hundreds of hours straight, due to wear on the laser, heat build up, etc.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #21 of 37
The K701 might be a special case - from my experience.  All I know is that when I bought them 2 years ago to supersede my HD650's (reviews were saying they were better) I hated them.  I rarely used them but kept them (some CD's like the Fugees had benefits with K701).  Nowadays they share almost equal head time with the HD650 - all I know is that I no longer hate them and appreciate them a lot.  They don't sound harsh like I remembered they did at unboxing time - I hear a trace of warmth that I never remembered hearing.  This is with the HD650 as a point of reference - placebo? Perhaps, burn-in? Maybe.

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
Or you can get one of those cool glass mannequin heads to break the pads in that can double as a headphone stand.  

I actually have one of those. I use it to stretch out my XB series. I also use it as headphone stand for my AD700.

Quote:
I never liked the idea of letting a CD player run for hundreds of hours straight, due to wear on the laser, heat build up, etc.

How bout if it was just an MP3? Anyway, I do see your point.

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
I actually have one of those. I use it to stretch out my XB series. I also use it as headphone stand for my AD700.

How bout if it was just an MP3? Anyway, I do see your point.

Hi

Its up to you, your decision?

If you decide to burn , there are two ways of doing it.

1. Play a good variety of music classic,hip hop,country,rock etcetera.

2. Go to http://www.burninwave.com/ This site has a number of burn in files including White noise,Pink noise,Frequency sweep .

Bare in Mind There is No "There is no statistic efficiency for each method".

Many people claim there is no change, however some people claim there is a change.

Report back if it had an effect on your headphones?

I Hope this helps you.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 37

[size=13.5pt]Hi[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]Its up to you, your decision?[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]If you decide to burn , there are two ways of doing it.[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]1. Play a good variety of music classic,hip hop,country,rock etcetera.[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]2. Go to http://www.burninwave.com/ This site has a number of burn in files including White noise,Pink noise,Frequency sweep .[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]Bare in Mind There is No "There is no statistic efficiency for each method".[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]Many people claim there is no change, however some people claim there is a change.[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]Report back if it had an effect on your headphones?[/size]

[size=13.5pt] [/size]

[size=13.5pt]I Hope this helps you.[/size]

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 37

Hi Katun

Its up to you, your decision?

If you decide to burn , there are two ways of doing it.

1. Play a good variety of music classic,hip hop,country,rock etcetera.

2. Go to http://www.burninwave.com/ This site has a number of burn in files including White noise,Pink noise,Frequency sweep .

Bare in Mind There is No "There is no statistic efficiency for each method".

Many people claim there is no change, however some people claim there is a change.

Report back if it had an effect on your headphones?

I Hope this helps you.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #27 of 37
I use Classical only cuz it send me to sleep.( I burn in my hp night time only)
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #28 of 37
Just wondering, because 300hrs of music to make them sound their best would take a very long time listen to while they are on your head.

If you're a big music listener, then you'll burn through three hundred hours in no time.  If not, put your computer on random play, and randomly play your saved music for a week, 24/7 and you'll have the time in, in no time.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
Just wondering, because 300hrs of music to make them sound their best would take a very long time listen to while they are on your head.

If you're a big music listener, then you'll burn through three hundred hours in no time.  If not, put your computer on random play, and randomly play your saved music for a week, 24/7 and you'll have the time in, in no time.

It doesn't matter.  Good headphones sound good straight out of the box.  Bad headphones will never sound good no matter how many hours you put on them.

Burning in is a waste of time and effort.  If you like your headphones, keep listening.

It's not like you're aging wine in a barrel while it ferments.  Headphones are ready to go right out of the box.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #30 of 37
It doesn't matter.  Good headphones sound good straight out of the box.  Bad headphones will never sound good no matter how many hours you put on them.

Burning in is a waste of time and effort.  If you like your headphones, keep listening.

It's not like you're aging wine in a barrel while it ferments.  Headphones are ready to go right out of the box.

For the most part, everything from chairs to engines needs to be broken in; adds flexibility or responsiveness.  If something's stiff, it's going lack responsiveness.  Lack of responsiveness, equals out to ill defined sound quality.  Get that old stiffness out of the equation and you get responsiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back