How do you break in your phones?
Jul 19, 2002 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
I've got an artist's dummy head which was lying around for a long time doing nothing, and breaking in headphones (and also holding whatever phone I'm using with the main system) was I found the perfect use for these. I've drilled ear-canal-sized holes where the ears are (for maximum simulation of a human head, I'm sure they do nothing for the break-in process) and I just sit the phones on the head, and let them play away.

U?

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 10
I just hang them near my reciever, tune in the local classical station, set the volume to a moderate level and let them go for a day or so. I normally change stations a couple of times as I want to listen during the process.

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Throw a bunch of CDs in my changer and set it on repeat. Mostly bassy stuff to really extend the driver but some jazz too. Then I adjust the volume until I get some distortion and then back it off a bit. Since I don't listen to them while they're burning in I want to make sure they are well below the distortion threshold during the process. Stick them in a drawer, maybe wrap a towel around them to muffle the sound and then wait. I might check them every once in a while just to see how things are going. That's it.

(HBZ)

Jul 19, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 10
i actualy listen to mine right out of the package
very_evil_smiley.gif

just to make sure they work of course..then i just let them sit on the desk and play at normal listening volume with whatever winamp is playing......

then after a few hours i put em on for a bit then take em off and repeat...

the difference is oftentimes nothing short of amazing...

ray

Jul 19, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Like ray, i actually listen to them. I can't stand the thought of waiting to listen to new cans...i just can't!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 20, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 10
First choice is a receiver. You can select music or white noise (between stations). Second choice is a device that has a radio (no moving parts), and hopefully an ac adapter.

Right now my new SR125's are connected to my receiver at good volume level and rock music with a heavy beat. They will get two or three days of that.

Not a high volume level, a save loudness level.

Most CD players have a fairly length lifespan, so you could do 40 hours on a home deck. I would just let one cd run on a multiplayer in repeat.

Jul 20, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Does this break-in thing always work? I've bought my father a HD-590 (or 580 can't remember) and when I had a listen, it sounded pretty bad, as compared to my E888SP. When I read reviews on the Internet, it's supposed to be pretty good. I played music through the headphone about 8 hours for 3 days but it still sounded the same. Left ear's driver seems to have some kind of distortion as well. Does this break-in always work?

Also, does the break in theory work for speakers. What about car speakers?

Jul 20, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Mrsulung
Does this break-in thing always work? I've bought my father a HD-590 (or 580 can't remember) and when I had a listen, it sounded pretty bad, as compared to my E888SP. When I read reviews on the Internet, it's supposed to be pretty good. I played music through the headphone about 8 hours for 3 days but it still sounded the same. Left ear's driver seems to have some kind of distortion as well. Does this break-in always work?

Also, does the break in theory work for speakers. What about car speakers?

Well - sometimes headphones can't be broken in because they're broken!

Jul 20, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 10
Oh yeah, while we're on what to break them in with, what about the home stereo break-in CD's? I was sold one with my main system (and realized later I'd been charged £200 for the CD... an ass? yes.) and I've only used it once - on the main system.

AFAIK, most of the breaking-in process for headphones is a simple mechanical matter (allowing the drivers to 'loosen up'). But what about what you use to break them in with?

Would a break-in CD work better than just playing what you normally listen to?

Jul 20, 2002 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 10
I play various dynamic CDs on repeat overnight for 12 hours. Things such as classical with an explosive ending, bass heavy CDs, CDs with lots of sound changes going on. Just to make sure the entire headphone's frequency spectrum is covered and burned in. I always give my headphones and gear a break of 12 hours after 12 hours of burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back