How do you adjust the HD-650?
Jan 22, 2006 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I have a new pair of HD-650 and I consider them a valuable musical instrument; I want to handle them correctly, in the way they were intended to be. What is the right way to adjust them so they fit correctly? How do you increase or decrease the size?

Is it necessary that both sides are equidistant, in other words, the same amount of clicks on each side?

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 12
I just got my 650 the other day! This is my second pair. Don't be afraid of them, they are very well built. They are probably very tight, like a vice grip. Take them off every now and then, and bend them open by the cups. Over a few days, maybe sooner, they will loosen up nicely!

You don't have to have both sides exactly the same position, but for peice of mind, I would recommend it.

The pads come out very easily, to be changed when needed.

The cable just pulls out, so you can replace it also!
600smile.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Bolt Cutters.

Jan 22, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
You're so funny!

Adjust them to sit a little lower than you think they need to and they'll likely be more comfortable on your head...

...and sound better!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

You're so funny!

Adjust them to sit a little lower than you think they need to and they'll likely be more comfortable on your head.

Why would you want to bring the driver lower than your ear canal opening? If anything, you would angle the cups over your ears, to give the sound a better directional focus to the natural curves of you canal!
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Why would you want to bring the driver lower than your ear canal opening? If anything, you would angle the cups over your ears, to give the sound a better directional focus to the natural curves of you canal!
icon10.gif

Could be how my ear is shaped, but that wouldn't explain the preeminence of the phenomenon. It could just be euphonic distortion caused by altering the "enclosure" (the coupling of the headphone to your ear, rather), but it's pleasant and I enjoy it. Try it, if you've got a pair, and let me know what you think.

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Could be how my ear is shaped, but that wouldn't explain the preeminence of the phenomenon. It could just be euphonic distortion caused by altering the "enclosure" (the coupling of the headphone to your ear, rather), but it's pleasant and I enjoy it. Try it, if you've got a pair, and let me know what you think.

I sure do have an HD650!
600smile.gif
I tried letting the cups sit lower, but I really can't tell if there's a difference. It is not very comfortable though, that is for sure, just feels horrible!

If it works for you, then all the better!
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 12
My understanding was that it helps imaging. (Rather like having two speakers in the front rather than on the side)

I tried moving mine around and there is a slight difference in sound.

Ian

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Dr. Jan Meier as well recommends to experiment with wearing headphones lower than usual since sq may improve with some. And he gives a short explanation why this may work.

Have a look at "Tips & Tricks" on:

www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I sure do have an HD650!
600smile.gif
I tried letting the cups sit lower, but I really can't tell if there's a difference. It is not very comfortable though, that is for sure, just feels horrible!

If it works for you, then all the better!
icon10.gif

Does it press on your jaw? I have a pretty big head, and wearing mine low actually takes some pressure off of my fore-ear area and puts it on my neck and jaw muscles instead, which for me is more comfortable - however, I've heard stories of others finding that very uncomfortable, so I could see that being a problem.

You have the SR-225 and the RS-1; I'm getting an SR-225 in the mail shortly. I'm a Sennheiser man, mostly, in that I really love the sound, but I'd like access to the Grado option for certain types of music. Think I'll be satisfied at the SR-225 and not feel the need to upgrade to an RS? Since it won't be my primary headphone, and I've heard the SR-225 before and know I like it, I think it'll put a stop to Grado upgrade desires at least (I've also heard the SR-80, and while it was quite nice for the price I liked the SR-225 better and figured if I bought an SR-80 I'd eventually wind up selling it and getting a 225).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back