how do the various senn 5XX and 6XX models differ in "flavour"
Jul 11, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
I don't know... I really like the hd580. It just seems to give every detail away a bit better than the 650. The 650 also seems laidback and not as transparent.

580 can be really amazing with certain songs especially in the treble region. The only problem with it is its lacklustre bass. The 650 takes care of that, but unfortunately gives away some airyness and treble.

Maybe a source upgrade will help get it into something more dynamic and "treblier".
biggrin.gif

Funny, after listening with the 650 for awhile and then going back to the 580 everything will sound weird. And vice versa.

I totally agree . . . this is what I've been saying on this forum since I got my HD650s last week . . . and still warmin' them up!!! (warming-up is a constant affair with Sennheisers - if I'm not warming up one pair I'm warming up another . .. . . ridiculous) I

I always have to go back to the HD580s as a reference because of its transparency/imaging/clarity/balance and unexaggerated bass.

Rgds, Pauly

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #32 of 48
Wow, we've denigrated into a 580/600/650 comparison and beating up on Andrea.
Anyway, let me try to get back to the point. I've heard all six of these headphones and owned three of them. Honestly, I've only heard the other three at meets, but I do feel that that is enough to get a quick flavor of what they're all about.
We've made so much out of the differences between the 580/600/650s that it's really kind of funny. All three of these are so close in character it's unreal. I have to listen pretty closely to tell which is which, there are differences, but in the end, let's be honest, they are much more alike than unlike. They are generally not considered to be good for rock, but many say they are the best for classical and fairly good at jazz.
The 555/595s are, of course, also similar to each other. I agree with whoever said that these are the headphones for the masses. My 595s do everything very well. They even do some things better than my 650s. (Try listening to James Taylor's "Fire and Rain") They're fun. They're not as refined (nor dark) as the 650s. There usually isn't as much bass nor is it as controlled. But they are never fatiguing, either. They are a great all-around headphone. They are Sennheiser's attempt to compete with the Grado SR-225 but they are still Senns. They border on world class, IMHO.
The 590s are another animal. They're an older model and honestly I've only heard them for a bit. They sounded a lot closer to the 595 than the 650. I liked them, they were very detailed, but they just didn't sound musical to me. They are, however, VERY comfortable and I wouldn't mind owning a pair.
Let's sum this up. 580/600/650-dark, refined. 555/595-fun, jack of all trades master of some. 590-comfortable, good all around.
So, there 'ya go. I hope that helps.

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDA
There's also the fact that you stated the HD650 is objectively superior to the 580/600, with "more of everything". That's a difficult statement to make for someone who owns both, and just plain stupid coming from someone who's never even heard one.

Really?
rolleyes.gif

Which implies that you're personally inclined to prefer the HD580/600, right? Good for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

(there's something more to be hinted to, about some technical improvements making for a better midrange lifelike-ness of the HD650 vs. the 'forefathers', but since I'm not nearly empowered to talk ...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #34 of 48
DevilDog, yours was a very effective description of the 595 as compared to the 650. I second entirely!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Really?
rolleyes.gif

Which implies that you're personally inclined to prefer the HD580/600, right? Good for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

SDA's opinion doesn't imply anything of that nature. Where are you pulling this from? Because he states that's it's hard to make a case for the HD650 over the HD580/600 (in his opinion)? How does this favor him to like the HD580/600 more than the HD650?

Quote:

(there's something more to be hinted to, about some technical improvements making for a better midrange lifelike-ness of the HD650 vs. the 'forefathers', but since I'm not nearly empowered to talk ...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Personally I find the mids on the HD600 to be more flowing and life-like than those of the HD650. That's my opinion. Perhaps you should form some of your own instead of taking those of others as gospel.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
Personally I find the mids on the HD600 to be more flowing and life-like than those of the HD650. That's my opinion. Perhaps you should form some of your own instead of taking those of others as gospel.
wink.gif

No surprise, your particular opinion on the matter always sounds somewhat ...singular. (or you may be right)
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Really?
rolleyes.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
)

Actually, I prefer the HD650 by a slight margin. However, it is obvious that others feel differently, and I recognize that the 580/600 does some things better, so I would never dream of saying that the HD650 is an objectively superior headphone to the 580 or 600.

As Patrickhat said, recognizing that my opinion is not the only opinion shouldn't imply anything about my preferences.

Quote:

DevilDog, yours was a very effective description of the 595 as compared to the 650. I second entirely!

Now there's a comparison you're qualified to make! In fact, it's the only comparison you're qualified to make, so there's really no need to post any more.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDA
Actually, I prefer the HD650 by a slight margin. However, it is obvious that others feel differently, and I recognize that the 580/600 does some things better, so I would never dream of saying that the HD650 is an objectively superior headphone to the 580 or 600.

Instead, for the least, a couple of "official sponsors" of ours seem to be of the "daring" kind, don't they?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #39 of 48
Er... my apologies, but I simply can't understand what you're trying to say. Could you rephrase it for me? If you'd like, you can post it in your first language and I can try to translate.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #40 of 48
Well let me add to the fray.

We all tend to a certain extent to talk about things we haven't experienced, but taking it to the extreme is a bit much. A buddy of mine knows in the last few monrhs I have got into this hobby, and was looking into some Etys or Shurs and asked me in my opinion what was better...............I haven't heard either, I just told him what I have read and directed him here. He ended up just ordering the Etys.

Also everyone on this board agrees for the most part that the 650s have pronounced/heavy/perky/strong/emphasised bass, and they are dark and laid back.

I can't stand heavy bass in headphones, I tend to EQ down the low end a bit on my 595s.

I like my 595s and for my next upgrade I want 1)Clearer Treble 2)More detail 3)Something very fast 4)Something upfront/bright 5)Something good for electronic music

So natually I have been looking into the Sony SA5000s, they sound perfect for me, I don't want warmth, I think the Senn 650 would be a poor choice based off of what I have read.

However you won't hear me say "The Sony SA5000 is far superior to the Senn 650s" when I haven't listened to them, and Andrea tends to do thing similar to that, talk about all different brands of cans, and must mention they are vastly inferior to the 595s/650. I think that is what the sticking point it.

Taking advice from people is one thing, but boldy claiming something isn't veyr good that you have never heard is another.

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Instead, for the least, a couple of "official sponsors" of ours seem to be of the "daring" kind, don't they?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDA
Er... my apologies, but I simply can't understand what you're trying to say. Could you rephrase it for me? If you'd like, you can post it in your first language and I can try to translate.

I think he's referencing the advertising blurbs in some of the sponsors' lisings:

Headroom - HD650 - "simply the world's best headphone"

TVJ - HD650 - "The overall sound quality of the 650 is a nice improvement over the 600. Bass is fuller and deeper yet very tight and realistic. There doesn't seem to be any bumps or fallout at any frequency - the balance from top to bottom is very good. Highs are a little softer than the 600 but the detail is all there."

BW

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #42 of 48
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the help.

Honestly, I doubt many here would say that the HD650 really is the "world's best" headphone. The fact is that information on any web site should not be taken as gospel. You're welcome to let it influence your opinion, but taking a product listing as complete and final evidence that one headphone is superior is just silly.

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar

I like my 595s and for my next upgrade I want 1)Clearer Treble 2)More detail 3)Something very fast 4)Something upfront/bright 5)Something good for electronic music

So natually I have been looking into the Sony SA5000s, they sound perfect for me, I don't want warmth, I think the Senn 650 would be a poor choice based off of what I have read.

I agree, with your preferences you do not want HD650s. In fact, maybe you want to buy my Sony MDR-SA3000s from me
600smile.gif
Since I really dig my HD650s, you can probably imagine why I don't like the Sonys.

That's why there are different kinds of cans, folks, because there are different kinds of people. Thank goodness for choices.

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #44 of 48
I think between the 600 and the 650, the 650 is the one that responds more to good equipment, all the way around, and to good recordings.
I don't think the 600 is more transparent. A critical aspect of transparency is the ability to resolve detail and the 650 can do it better, IMO. With a high quality DAC / Disc Player and a really good amp, and of course a nice recording, you can hear the difference between the two even if they do share a family resemblance. I listen to the 600 during the day and enjoy it tremendously too, so .. horses for courses, I'd say.
Of course the 650 is not the be all and end all of transparency either, but that's another story altogether.

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #45 of 48
SDA, take it as "my HD650 is as good as (still affordable) headphones get" for my ears & sentiments. Not that I'm overly enamoured of my headphones right now -- I've found I still favour the naturalness of speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back