how do pvps sound.
Mar 25, 2006 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

redquilang

Head-Fier
im in the market for a new portable source, and the pvps are particularly atractive. i want to know how they sound though because if the sound is garbage, ill have to reconsider.

anybody have a zen vision or cowon a2 or archos av500?

if so, hows the sound quality.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by redquilang
im in the market for a new portable source, and the pvps are particularly atractive. i want to know how they sound though because if the sound is garbage, ill have to reconsider.

anybody have a zen vision or cowon a2 or archos av500?

if so, hows the sound quality.

I too am interested in buying a PVP (or PMP, whatever you want to call it). I was researching the Cowon A2 and from the reviews and user feedback it seems to be the best sound device of the whole Cowon Lineup. Don't know about other PMPs though.

P.S. I am still debating the worthiness of a PMP...
rolleyes.gif
$380 for a 30GB A2!
confused.gif
Is it worth it?

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 23
Mar 25, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 23
The Cowon A2 sound great. There's more life to the music, compared to the iPod nano. The speakers aren't that great. Used through headphones though the sound is damn pretty nice.

Lsportline43 take the plunge
etysmile.gif
you'll love it!

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
A2 > iPod

mild advantage in SQ, but it's there

acording to this guy, anyway...
http://www.dapreview.net/e107_plugin...hp?content.239

rs1smile.gif

Nice review Austin! I wish there was someplace to check out the screen quality of the A2. I have read that it is good, but I have seen the AV500 in person. The AV500 looks very nice! The Istation v43 looks promising as well. Ahhh.... decisions decisions!

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900
Nice review Austin! I wish there was someplace to check out the screen quality of the A2. I have read that it is good, but I have seen the AV500 in person. The AV500 looks very nice! The Istation v43 looks promising as well. Ahhh.... decisions decisions!

Have you ever looked at a PSP screen? Cause the A2's screen is kinda like that.

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737
Lsportline43 take the plunge
etysmile.gif
you'll love it!

Yeah I think I will.
biggrin.gif
Anyone know whether or not the A2 gives off a hiss with IEM? I am going to buy some IEM when getting the A2.

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Yeah I think I will.
biggrin.gif
Anyone know whether or not the A2 gives off a hiss with IEM? I am going to buy some IEM when getting the A2.

I have UE Super fi 3. There isn't a noticeable hiss. I enjoy (ed) the sound ...although it could be better (amp). But i've gotten really picky with sound after my friend attached his amp (headroom micro) and iems (UE Super fi. 5 pro) to my Cowon. Now I'm looking into portable amps and planning on getting UE 5c
k1000smile.gif
lol. The person lol.

Seriously though it sounds great and no noticable hiss.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737
Seriously though it sounds great and no noticable hiss.

Cool, so there won't be a problem with IEM.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 23
Forget the ipood and get the Zen Vision
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I have the regular Zen Vision and have compared it to a 5G ipod and unless Apple starts with a completely new slate I'll stick with my Vision. BTW if you're interested in a PVP get the regular one and not the M as the M's screeen is pretty useless for video.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Forget the ipood and get the Zen Vision
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I have the regular Zen Vision and have compared it to a 5G ipod and unless Apple starts with a completely new slate I'll stick with my Vision. BTW if you're interested in a PVP get the regular one and not the M as the M's screeen is pretty useless for video.

I've been looking at many PMPs lately. The Creative Lab's Zen Vision is the same price, more or less, as the Cowon A2, but I don't see how the Zen Vision would best the A2. So anyone want to defend the Zen Vision?

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 23
i was reading the cnet article on the a2 and was wondering if the navigation really is a problem. scrolling through a thousand songs with just a thumstick doesnt sound enjoyable. and it kind of sucks you cant organize it by song.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 23
When I bought it I got it mostly for the looks and the fact that no one else would have one. However, I found that it's interface was extremely simple yet well laid out and easy to use. It also has a very weighty metallic feelnot like the plasticky new ipods. Another plus is that while the body has racked up some scratches, the screen it still perfect and without any blemishes, idk how Creative made it scratch resistant but it works. One thing I particularly liked was the amount of accessories available from Creative, I kind of went all out and bought the dock, the extended battery, and the remote when Igot mine and I don't regret it. With everything it costed $540 so if you're on a budget look elsewhere.

Cons of the A2
-Huge, weighs 10.2 oz
-No user replaceable battery
-No DRM support, no Playforsure
-Tiny little thumbstick to do everything, much like my useless Sony NH600D
-Poor navigation/organization of menus
-No browsing music by track or album
-Proprietary A/V cables, no option for higher end cables to connect audio and video to tv or home theatre
-no remote, no dock, or stand, no accessories
-low resolution 480X272 screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back