How do my laptop built in speakers sound so good?
May 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

daleb

500+ Head-Fier
So, I've been messing around with different audio systems, different speakers and pairs of headphones, and every time I do, I realize how good my built in laptop speakers are.
I just don't understand. These aren't advertised for sound, nor are they even listed as a bonus for the laptop, other then the built in dolby decoder (which only works for the speakers, and not any plugged in headphones >.>).

These things respond insanely well to EQ. I have it set up so I can use dolby advanced audio to just change to an EQ that works better with the song. These things sound great with vocals, especially after making EQs for it, though many may find it shouty. They are very clear compared to many systems when I test them with vocals, absolutely no muddiness.
The only possible problem is the complete lack of bass. I'm okay with this, though, because I'm pretty sure that's why it happens to be so clear.  I'd easily consider this over a $100 set of headphones (I can only compare to headphones, because that's what I use much more often).

The most confusing part is how it all uses a special edition of realtek that actually sounds good. I don't even know if there is any noise being made by it, because even at full blast, you can't hear anything I would expect to hear from a realtek, not matter what you use. Heck, my E11 makes way more noise then this thing, and the only way I can hear E11s static is by turning it up to full blast.

How are these speakers so good, when they aren't even advertised as having good audio quality? Heck, its only a $600 laptop, yet it comes with some of the best audio components I've seen in a laptop. Heck, all the components outside of audio are worth way more then this, too.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 8
I suspect the OP has a laptop which has Dolby Home Theater V4?

A friend of mine has the Acer Aspire 6920G which has Dolby home theater v4. It has a bass reflex tube thingy called 'Tuba Cinebass Booster' and it creates a pseudo 5.1 surround sound effect via audio processing. It could do with a bit more bass and no it obviously won't compare with a decent dedicated home stereo system but I must admit that it sounds pretty decent, very impressive SQ and audio processing for a laptop at least.

Dolby Home Theater V4

"Surround Decoder

Advanced frequency-domain matrix surround decoder

Creates 5.1 or 7.1 sound from any two-channel input

Creates 7.1 sound from 5.1-channel input

Dialogue Enhancer

Improves clarity of speech on all material

Intelligently detects presence of speech and applies processing

Intelligent Equalizer

Provides consistent timbre (tone) for all audio material

Dynamically adjusts tone during playback; user controlled

Volume Leveler

High-quality volume control solution

Maintains chosen volume consistently across all sources

Surround Virtualizer

Delivers enveloping virtual surround effect from all sources

Works with your PC’s built-in speakers or any headphones

Volume Maximizer

Boosts available volume by up to 12 dB (more than doubles the volume level)

Intelligently processes signal to avoid distortion

Audio Optimizer

Produces flat frequency response, as on a high-end audio system

Custom-tuned to compensate for speaker response irregularities

Audio Regulator

Eliminates any distortion caused by speaker or chassis resonances

Custom-calibrated for specific PC models

Graphic Equalizer

Allows you to adjust frequency response to your liking

Ten bands for complete control

Dolby Digital Output

Encodes any audio into Dolby Digital for listening through your home theater

Connects to home theater system via HDMI® or S/PDIF"

Other Dolby home theater featured laptops listed here- http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/product/pc/laptop/listing.html

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 8
"The only possible problem is the complete lack of bass"
"I'd easily consider this over a $100 set of headphones"

Is this a joke? Did you you have any injuries into your hearing in the past?
And Dolby in no way improves sound quality, actually it cuts off some frequencies to improve perceived clearness of sound. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 8
My laptop Lenovo Y580 sounds pretty good and was the best sounding source for my Sennheiser Amperiors, but only because of Dolby Home Theater. But when you get to the "high end", the sound is not even comparable. You can't compare Laptop speakers to good headphones/monitors/speakers going through a quality DAC and AMP, to cheap integrated crap. Trust me without the Dolby Home Theater they are really nothing special. 

May 12, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 8
I agree!! I have an Acer V5-573G and I have the Dolby Home Theatre V4 with 4 speakers. I Basically have surround sound. Every time I watch a movie and the section goes from the right hand side of the screen to the left with some sort of sound, you could really hear it going from right to left. Best speaker so far compared from all the laptops I've had.

BTW thank you for the information on the Dolby speakers, now I know why it is so good!

May 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 8
  I agree!! I have an Acer V5-573G and I have the Dolby Home Theatre V4 with 4 speakers. I Basically have surround sound. Every time I watch a movie and the section goes from the right hand side of the screen to the left with some sort of sound, you could really hear it going from right to left. Best speaker so far compared from all the laptops I've had.

BTW thank you for the information on the Dolby speakers, now I know why it is so good!

I'm not sure you understand what surround sound is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back