How do I properly break in and care for my headphones?
May 22, 2012 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spillages

Head-Fier
Newbie here, never owned any high end equipment. Recently bought a xonar phoebus and dt990. Excited to try them out later tonight, but want to keep them at their peak for as long as possible. What are your guys secrets?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

May 22, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Newbie here, never owned any high end equipment. Recently bought a xonar phoebus and dt990. Excited to try them out later tonight, but want to keep them at their peak for as long as possible. What are your guys secrets?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Heya,

You put them on your head, crank up something that outputs audio be it music, gaming, movies or whatever and enjoy them. The headphone will not change over time with the mythical burn in, but your ears and perception will change as you become accustomed to the sound signature. Set them in a clean place when you're done, cover them even, try not to roll over the cord or pinch it and in general just don't be destructive and they'll last 10+ years easily.

Very best,

May 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 7
Mal, your reply clears my doubt on whether should I burn-in my new DT770 as well, thanks...  
o2smile.gif

Heya,

You put them on your head, crank up something that outputs audio be it music, gaming, movies or whatever and enjoy them. The headphone will not change over time with the mythical burn in, but your ears and perception will change as you become accustomed to the sound signature. Set them in a clean place when you're done, cover them even, try not to roll over the cord or pinch it and in general just don't be destructive and they'll last 10+ years easily.

Very best,

May 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Mal, your reply clears my doubt on whether should I burn-in my new DT770 as well, thanks...  
o2smile.gif

I'm in the camp that believes (like Ultrasone--which recommends a specific burn time in for their each individual can/line of cans) in burning in (most) headphones to improve their sound.

It's easy to do and their is little or no downside for doing it.

May 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

I'm in the camp that believes (like Ultrasone--which recommends a specific burn time in for their each individual can/line of cans) in burning in (most) headphones to improve their sound.

It's easy to do and their is little or no downside for doing it.

Seems that the very stiff titanium diaphragms need some loosening up 

May 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Being the owner of the 990 and 770 250 ohm, I do think both benefit from some burn in. The 990 especially do. But I also think using pink noise or anything is pretty much a waste. Just use them normally for a hundred hours or so and they'll keep getting better. I would recommend staying away from too high of volumes for the first 30 hours or so, though, since I'm sure that could damage them if the volume is too high at first.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back