How do I multiplex multiple inputs and multiple outputs?
Jun 27, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
Suppose I have:

Input 1: CD player
Input 2: my computer
Output 1: a headphone amp and headphones
Output 2: active speakers (or speakers and an amp)

What kind of audio component do I need to send one of the N inputs to one of the M outputs? I looked at preamps, but those seem to have only one output.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm in a similar situation, and I believe what seemed good was one of those matrix switches, where they have multiple in/outs and you can route any/all inputs to any other/both outputs.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any that were reasonably priced (as in <$50.)
I might just end up using a bunch of Y-splitters instead.

Jun 27, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 5
A true non-blocking switch will cost you a lot of money. But you don't need it, do you? You would be happy with 2x2 single path, not multiplex, correct? You listen to either CD or computer, on either speakers or HPs. Only if you wanted to listen to one and your buddy the other with a different source would you need non-blocking!

So this is easy: analog audio switches do not enforce directionality, so you just piggyback two 2x1 switches. Buy the best you can, since they can degrade signal quality. Then one box selects the input, which is connected by RCA cables to the "output" of the second box, which controls the real output by selecting its "input", got it?

CD ---------| |---------- HP amp
------------> <---------
Computer ---| |---------- Speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back