How do I make mp3's from my LP's?
Nov 30, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAjay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LFF you really have me looking at getting into vinyl. One of my biggest pet peeves is the over compressed sound of music. I can't believe the difference in the Norah Jones track you posted. I did notice one thing and maybe it's just me, but are the channels switched between the LP and CD track? Also what programs are you using to EQ with?

Hi Sajay! Welcome to headfi. Sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Vinyl can be very rewarding. The main reason I got into vinyl was because of the over compressed and over processed sound of music you find in stores these days.

What's even better is that NOW is the PERFECT time to get back into vinyl. Warner Bros. is issuing new vinyl records with fantastic sound, as is Blue Note Records and various other companies. PLUS - let's not forget the over 50 years of records that have already been made and can be had for cheap.

As far I know, the channels are not switched but I really can't remember and I am at work at the moment so I can't double check.

There are tons of EQ programs out there. I like to use the parametric equalizer which comes in Audition. It's easy to use and produces decent results (given you use it correctly).
wink.gif

My advice - get into vinyl now! It's a fun, fun hobby.

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SACD

LP

Sorry to bring back an old thread. I downloaded the two wavs and compared them in Audacity , they were very different in some parts which intrigued me - did you do any substantial EQing on the LP version. If not they are surprisingly different recordings.

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bring back an old thread. I downloaded the two wavs and compared them in Audacity , they were very different in some parts which intrigued me - did you do any substantial EQing on the LP version. If not they are surprisingly different recordings.

Nope. No EQ on the samples I posted. The Vinyl and CD/SACD are truly like night and day.

I had a two friends over one night and played both at the same time - they were both amazed by the vinyl. They also commented that they both sounded like different recordings with the vinyl being clearly superior in every which way.
biggrin.gif

Vinyl rules!
cool.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Nope. No EQ on the samples I posted. The Vinyl and CD/SACD are truly like night and day.

I had a two friends over one night and played both at the same time - they were both amazed by the vinyl. They also commented that they both sounded like different recordings with the vinyl being clearly superior in every which way.
biggrin.gif

Vinyl rules!
cool.gif

Well, I would not go quite that far, but different certainly, thanks for the reply.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Well, I would not go quite that far, but different certainly, thanks for the reply.

Don't go that far...buy the LP and compare it yourself. Then let me know.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Don't go that far...buy the LP and compare it yourself. Then let me know.
wink.gif

Sorry, I have had my fill of Norah Jones, it was the Norah Jones CD that Steve Nugent sent me a jitter-free copy of and which I bought a CD copy of myself, I listened to it a lot in ABX mode, frankly if I never hear it again it will be too soon
biggrin.gif

Anyway I am too firmly committed to digital , I did buy a TT earlier this year and all the bits and pieces, phono pre-amp, sorbothane isolating balls, and cleaning kit but I really didnt take to the experience again and I havent used it in several months.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Sorry, I have had my fill of Norah Jones, it was the Norah Jones CD that Steve Nugent sent me a jitter-free copy of and which I bought a CD copy of myself, I listened to it a lot in ABX mode, frankly if I never hear it again it will be too soon
biggrin.gif

Anyway I am too firmly committed to digital , I did buy a TT earlier this year and all the bits and pieces, phono pre-amp, sorbothane isolating balls, and cleaning kit but I really didnt take to the experience again and I havent used it in several months.

LOL. It seems a lot of people have had their fill of Norah Jones.

Digital has tons of potential - listen to any DCC Gold CD and you'll see what a CD should sound like. You should give your TT a spin every once in a while - especially if you got all the stuff to do so.

What TT do you have?

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

LOL. It seems a lot of people have had their fill of Norah Jones.

Digital has tons of potential - listen to any DCC Gold CD and you'll see what a CD should sound like. You should give your TT a spin every once in a while - especially if you got all the stuff to do so.

What TT do you have?

A Denon DP35F with a Signet MR5.0 cartridge - 1980s lower mid-market stuff, though the cartridge was about $350 when new, more in fact that the deck. I still have an old Rega Planar 3 but that is back in blighty.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

If you don’t want to go through all of this – you can always pay someone to do it.
wink.gif

How much for these on plain CD-R:

Musicdirect - MIKE OLDFIELD - TUBULAR BELLS (200g LP)
Musicdirect -
Musicdirect - STEELY DAN - AJA (LIMITED EDITION JAPANESE IMPORT
Musicdirect - MILES DAVIS - KIND OF BLUE (200g LP)
Musicdirect - DAVE BRUBECK - TIME OUT *QUIEX VINYL*
Musicdirect - JETHRO TULL - AQUALUNG (200g LP)
Musicdirect -

(not including cost of albums)

If interested, PM me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 34
YGPM.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
568279_p2.jpg

Brookstone: Ion USB turntable converts your favorite LPs to CDs! Order now!

Don't mean to be rude - but those USB TT's SUCK! They provide ok sound quality but they eat up your records.

Save your money and get a real TT (at least a Technics), a phono amp and a decent sound card. You'll be light years ahead of those USB toys.

EDIT:

Instead of buying that crap USB table - BUY THIS

Should make it much easier to transfer and you'll get much better quality.

EDIT 2:

Here is a real USB turntable.

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 34
I also have tried the Mac/iMic solution and it worked fine. I used Final Vinyl but liked Audacity better. Low cost and sounds great. It's a good solution when you can't find the CD's for those old albums.

I agree that usb turntable is a joke. Just saw the review on C|net today if you want to see a video on it.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #29 of 34
I got to thinking; what are the desired analog to digital converters? Theres plenty of threads on DACs, but not analog to digital. I'm thinking pro recording stuff? Like MOTU?

Your thoughts?

I just realized I know nothing about Analog to Digital, lol.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #30 of 34
Some professional engineers that I know use M-Audio sound cards and some use EMU. There is one I know that uses a custom solution that he refuses to share. So, like all things, it depends.

All I know is that the DAC's on those Ion USB turntables are a real joke as is the build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back