How do I know if my turntable has a pre-amp?
Mar 26, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylark
However, if I would notice a difference in sound quality between a $40 pre-amp and a vintage stereo receiver, I'd prefer to buy a vintage just to use for the turntable and then an AVR as my primary receiver to take advantage of new technology.

Nak_Man, now that my vintage receiver has failed and I have looked around, I admit I am very curious about all of the newer features, such as DTS. I've read about DTS in some online audio/video glossaries, and I'm hoping my older equipment might be able to take advantage of it and other technologies if powered by an AVR. (Also just FYI, I'm a "she," not a he.
wink.gif
since probably more men than women frequent a board such as this.
lambda.gif
) You're correct in your intuition about what I tend to use the most: I watch more TV (sci-fi) and DVDs (Japanese anime) than listen to vinyl. I'm more likely to lean toward spending $ for a low-end AVR than a vintage model (unless I buy a vintage model in place of a pre-amp, but overall my turntable is of secondary concern). I don't have a proper surround-sound system; just a left and right speaker, but I suppose you could say I use my TV for the center speaker, and have no rear speakers. The Bose speakers I have are "direct reflecting," which doesn't mean much except part of them bounces off the wall, creating more bass. I don't have a separate subwoofer. If by an "el cheapo" phono stage you mean something like a $40 pre-amp, I'd be curious on opinions re: whether the quality of a pre-amp at that price range ranks as good -- for purposes of the turntable only -- as the older vintage Onkyos you mentioned, or any vintage anyone wants to compare it to).

Oops, sorry to address you inappropriately. Ok, she. =)

• If you're not thinking to get any center speakers and surrounds then I believe you can still utilise 'dolby surround' receivers / avrs to watch movies. It would be allmost a waste to get DTS avr without good center channel (and surround) since that is DTS' real strength: discrete channels instead of simulated center and rear. For non DTS route you're in luck because you can get older model dolby surround AVR which usually still comes with turntable input (but you'd have to buy used). Many good options to choose: onkyo, denon etc with NAD and nakamichi being my favorite. Something from the mid 90s - not 20yr old as your technics (interestingly my 20yr old technics was also dying last year, model 555 or something, with 7 band equalizer =).

• However, if you intend to go all out on DTS and good center channel (almost a must), then get yourself a good DTS avr paired with external phono / turntable preamp. Ime these low priced phono preamps would sound just fine with no audible distortion or glaring flaw - I'm sure these won't be the bottleneck in your system. Stylus would play a bigger role on sound quality than phono preamp. I second lini's suggestion to spend the money on better stylus - but disagreed on his Yamaha idea =) Onkyo sounded much better to my ears.
wink.gif

Using both vintage receiver and DTS avr is workable but cumbersome. You can route phono out from vintage receiver to your new avr using tape pr record out. Btw it'd be difficult to find equalizer on current avrs, mostly have some kind of (useless) digital processing such as 'theater' 'hall' etc.

Edit : ugggh ... just read immtbiker kenwood specs. Latest DTS processing, 100w x 6, with phono input, for $229 ... unbelievable !!

Mar 28, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #17 of 18
lini, I'll confuse myself, even if I am on a budget, so it's okay if others want to add to the confusion.
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the stylus recommendation.

immtbiker, wow, what a find! That's a great price at $229 (!) with a phono input and everything else! One review says the sound is flat but i have heard (years before) that Kenwood delivers a clean, basic no-frills sound and that is per user taste.

I know this is going a bit beyond my budget, but (having never owned either Onkyo or Harman Kardon) what do you all think of this Harman Kardon model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...&s=electronics It gets good customer reviews both there and at Circuit City. Reviews from Circuit City (not price) here: http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Review.do#tabs I realize it's only 50 wts per chan but I keep hearing that Harman Kardon and Onkyo rate their power ratings more conservatively.

Also, one person mentioned a receiver's ability to do automatic "video conversion" as important. The reviewer put it this way when reviewing one model: "There is no video conversion (up or down), so you must select the video source on both the TV and receiver if you have more than one type (composite, S-video, component). Higher priced receivers do this conversion." I don't know how complex that is; I'm used to pressing buttons on my receiver to select phono, auxiliary, or tuner.

cpw, thanks for the tip. I'll focus more of my energy on the receiver and not so much on the phono stage.

Nak_Man, I'll have to check out NAD and Nakamichi. Maybe I can find a way to throw some more speakers in there. Since my turntable isn't as much a factor as my television/cable box/DVD/speakers, more $ will first go toward a decent home theater experience. I agree; it would be a shame to have a nice new receiver with goodies in it sitting there going to waste ...

I'm wondering, with an AVR receiver, in which areas of my audio/visual experience am I going to see/hear the biggest difference?

In order to truly hear a difference I may need to add a center speaker and rear speakers. I'm not crazy about Bose, or at least the particular model Bose I have. Perhaps they can be integrated into a surround sound system, but by themselves they aren't anything magical. I'd love some magic from some speakers at a decent price.

That Kenwood is a great value at $229. Then again the reviews on the Harman Kardon AVR 235 7.1 sound awfully good, and Amazon's got it for $349. I wonder if I'd hear the difference?

Mar 28, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

I know this is going a bit beyond my budget, but (having never owned either Onkyo or Harman Kardon) what do you all think of this Harman Kardon model:

I got good results even with lowly HK AVR1550, but never tried any Kenwood. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to see more conservative power wattage ratings at similar price. =) NAD has been doing this consistently and where it said 40wpc it really meant robust power at that rating. My 60wpc nad avr sound more powerful than comparably priced yamaha or denon with higher specs, fwiw.

Quote:

Nak_Man, I'll have to check out NAD and Nakamichi.

Well, you can scratch the Nakamichi out if there's kenwood DTS avr with phono input. Not sure what latest NAD that still has phono input, so you might as well scratch it out if you plan to buy new unit. And I don't think the HK has phono input as well.

Quote:

That Kenwood is a great value at $229. Then again the reviews on the Harman Kardon AVR 235 7.1 sound awfully good, and Amazon's got it for $349. I wonder if I'd hear the difference?

You might be able to hear difference -- however, if you also consider phonoless avr then I'd still pick NAD over the rest. There's discussion on nad vs hk rating here. For DTS with phono input your choice will be severely limited like this Kenwood.

Since I put more weight in music listening, I'd go with NAD + outboard phono stage. Please bear in mind NAD is not known for incorporating frills or gimmicks, so you won't have much 'special effects' like 'jazz club', 'theater' etc. Problem is, I'm not sure where to find T743 at more reasonable price. Over here they're pretty cheap.

On speakers: Center speaker will bring smile coming from listening to TV speakers.
wink.gif
You can do without the rear effects until further addictions, those are good for star wars like movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back