How do I get the best surround sound for my home theater using my ps3?
Oct 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Shadowruse

Head-Fier
I want to watch a movie on my ps3 and I have a receiver that supports DTS but not DD5.1 for some reason (it makes a horrible loud snaking sound when I output DD5.1 to it. So my question is, should I output LPCM or DTS to my receiver? And if I output LPCM then what Chanel's should I use? FWI: I would be outputting the sound like so: ps3----tv (via HDMI cable----tv to receiver via toslink cable. My tv is capable of DTS AND DD5.1 pass though.

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 11
PCM (LPCM) is uncompressed audio.
S/PDIF (Optical & coaxial) can pass only 2-channels of PCM audio or 6-channels of compressed audio, 24-bit/48KHz max
On your PS3 you need to use DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect, which can compress 5.1 (6-channels) to send thru S/PDIF.
Then it's uncompressed on the other end (the receiver).
On the PS3, need to set it for 5.1 (6-channel) audio and enable DDL or DTS-connect, which ever the PS3 uses.
and run an optical cable straight from the PS3 to the receiver, better then sending audio PS3 to TV.

HDMI can pass 7.1 (8-channels) of 24-bit/192KHz PCM (uncompressed) audio.
So if you replace you receiver with one that has HDMI input& output, you will get great audio.
(PS3>HDMI> receiver>HDMI>TV)

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

That seems weird. What make and model receiver is it? 

Your right it does seem weird, ehat is the point of having HDMI output and not have HDMI input?
Unless it's one of those Blu-ray 5.1 systems that is only really designed to be hooked up to a TV?

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Your right it does seem weird, ehat is the point of having HDMI output and not have HDMI input?
Unless it's one of those Blu-ray 5.1 systems that is only really designed to be hooked up to a TV?

Yeah. I was wondering if it might be an HTIB type receiver with built in player. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 11
The receiver is about 2 years old. It's an RCA receiver the reason that it only has an output is because its also a DVD player. And also, I don't believe my receiver supports DD because whenever I send a DD signal to it it makes a really loud bad rapid clicking noise that sounds kinda like a rattle snake. However when I send it a DTS signal it processes it fine. And what is DTS connect? Is it the same thing as DTS5.1?

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The receiver is about 2 years old. It's an RCA receiver the reason that it only has an output is because its also a DVD player. And also, I don't believe my receiver supports DD because whenever I send a DD signal to it it makes a really loud bad rapid clicking noise that sounds kinda like a rattle snake. However when I send it a DTS signal it processes it fine. And what is DTS connect? Is it the same thing as DTS5.1?

I believe Sony PS3s use DTS, not Dolby
Dolby and DTS are competing audio technoliges.
But I believe once the PS3 uncompress the audio from the movie DVD, DTS-connect will still be able to recompress it to send thru the optical connection

DDL (Dolby Digital Live) & DTS-Connect, both do audio compression, but I do not think they are cross compatible.
If the future might be to refer to the RCA as the DVD 5.1 system, it would helps understand better what you have.
when you say receiver, people might get the wrong idea, even if it's technically a receiver.

EDIT, See about updating the firmware on the PS3, I believe there are some added audio feature for the newer firmware
I believe audio on a DVD disk is already compressed, so maybe you need to figure out how to send the compressed DD 5.1  thru the optical connection on it own.
Post your current problem(s) in the Head-Fi thread, "Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming guide", I think Mad Lust Envy has gone thru the same PS3 problems as you.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Or wron on the ps3 only supports DTS. It support DD5.1 also. I know so because I have turtle beach headset that only accepts DD5.1. Any ways, I'm just curious to why my DVD receiver only supports DTS And not the basic DD5.1.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Any ways, I'm just curious to why my DVD receiver only supports DTS And not the basic DD5.1.

Because DVD receivers are not full function AVRs. You might want to watch Craigslist for an AVR that has HDMI input and output (look for Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz). Then, look up the manual for it and see what it supports. As long as it will support LPCM even if it doesn't support all the audio formats you want, you can always let the PS3 decode everything and send it to the receiver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back