How do I get bass out of my SE210's?...
Oct 19, 2008 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

slick

100+ Head-Fier
Long story short, I had enough in gift cards and Reward Zone dollars to get me a pair of Shure SE210's from Best Buy. I love the fit of these things, they are awesome. I was also thinking about getting the MPA adapter for use with my iPhone (but I generally use them with my 5th gen iPod Video).

These damn things are all up in my ears, and I have no bass. I am not a bass head, but come on, I need a little.

Is it my iPod? I use the foam pieces and they seal up nicely in my ears. Before I return them, I would like to give them a fair chance, whats the easiest way for my to get some more bass out of them?

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 15
I've always heard that the SE210 was bloated and muddy on the lower end, so the fact that you're not hearing any of that must mean a bad seal.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 15
I use the small pieces of foam, compress them with my fingers, insert them, and wait for them to expand. When both are in, I can barely hear anything on the "outside". I also have to yank on them to get them out, as they seem to have made a good seal. I just don't see how I can get a better seal then that out of them.

And this Fiio E3, its just a really small inline amp right? I mean, I can't go wrong with it since its just $10, but will it really do I want or should I spend more on something better? I think I can muster up $100 towards an amp, or possible sell my iPod and get a new one? I like iPod's and don't want a different DAP.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Changing your MP3 player to get the best results out of your Shure SE210s doesn't make sense. The Shures are decent enough but fairly low end IEMs, and I've alsways heard that the lower end Shures have a lack of bass.

I tend to disgree with anyone else saying you should get an amp or change your player ... the simple and cheap answer is to exchange the SE210s for a more bassy earphone.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 15
There's no way these things have a lack of bass. Bloated and muddy is more descriptive of them, although I find they match my HD650s well in terms of sound signature.

Personally I get the best seal with the medium black foamies, but try them all.

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the small pieces of foam, compress them with my fingers, insert them, and wait for them to expand. When both are in, I can barely hear anything on the "outside". I also have to yank on them to get them out, as they seem to have made a good seal. I just don't see how I can get a better seal then that out of them.

And this Fiio E3, its just a really small inline amp right? I mean, I can't go wrong with it since its just $10, but will it really do I want or should I spend more on something better? I think I can muster up $100 towards an amp, or possible sell my iPod and get a new one? I like iPod's and don't want a different DAP.

you may have them too far in sometimes when I insert them to far in it screws up the sound

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you may have them too far in sometimes when I insert them to far in it screws up the sound

You and AzN1337c0d3r are right, I used AzN1337c0d3r's suggestion and tried different pieces, and even though the small fit the best, I end up shoving them in my ear too far. The mediums don't go in that far and I noticed better bass response. The bass still doesn't sound that great, and there is a little too much treble.
I'm going to take them to the Best Buy and try them out on the new iPod's to see if they sound any different. I think I will also go ahead and get one of those Fiio amps since they are so cheap. If I am still not satisfied, I will return them and do more research on what to get.

Thanks for the all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys.

I messed around with the SE210's and the iPod EQ some more. I find that I get a better fit with the grey rubber piece (small) than I do the foam. I noticed right away that there was bass present when I used the rubber pieces. But then I still had an issue with too much treble, that probably made the bass seem weak. The "small speakers" EQ helped by not messing with the bass but reducing the treble. I personally like the way it sounds now and am enjoying the Shure's. I think I will still get the Fiio, or possible a nicer amp for use at home (maybe something that will work with my HD580's also).

Again, thanks, I know you guys probably get threads like this often, but its always nice to get some personal help with an issue.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 15
i got SE210 to and dont have weak bas!
but the seal is No1 to get a great bas,fore me the yello foams is just prefekt so comfy and 100%seal,try them out!

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Yeuppp I have had the SE210s for about 6 months. They are great sounding earphones compared to the Sony onears i was using beforehand. My friend saw that i had some, and wound up getting the same kind of earphones i did, and he liked the bass on it alot haha. For me i just though they were great and comfortable. I am hoping to upgrade to maybe a set of UM2s or 3s when those come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back