How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #1,849 of 3,657
Not to mention that he totally ignored the fact that I did the test on a professional sound mixer's reference system... He's a troll. They throw them in this forum every once in a while so it disrupts us.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,855 of 3,657
I know nothing of the science behind cable materials and the effect they have on sound, but without a doubt the Moon Audio Black Dragon cable improved the sound over the stock cable for my Focal Utopia. For me it smoothed out some of the brighter sounds that the Utopia can exhibit at certain time, making the headphone significantly more versatile over a wider range of music.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,856 of 3,657
I know nothing of the science behind cable materials and the effect they have on sound, but without a doubt the Moon Audio Black Dragon cable improved the sound over the stock cable for my Focal Utopia. For me it smoothed out some of the brighter sounds that the Utopia can exhibit at certain time, making the headphone significantly more versatile over a wider range of music.
Absolutely, it's because you have quality gear.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #1,857 of 3,657
I have quality gear.

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,858 of 3,657
I don't believe it's on the order of 1.5-2 ohms. If so I don't think I would trust the rest of the engineering of the IEM.
That is what unfortunately may very well put you, " science guys" in the very same category as the cable beleivers.

Here you are - the routine IEM stock wire- 0.8-1 Ohm per wire, two of them in the circuit. They should be flexible, otherwise they become unusable, so the coat hanger wires do not do trick here :)
Pictures attached below.

True that the trend in designing IEMs with the impedance below 16 Ohm can be viewed critically, especially that the values cited just at 1 kHz, the transducer resonances can give even lower values

Nevertheless, that is how cables matter, matter for the frequency response, and quite appreciably so in many cases.

16042240283488781093896804344652.jpg

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,859 of 3,657
For me the single biggest different I've gotten from a cable is the Sablon 2020 Panatela Reserve USB Cable. If you follow the thread on it on What's Best Forum as well other reviews, you'll read nothing but raves and even though it costs $750 for the powered version required for my Chord Hugo TT2, it has absolute brought clarity, speed, tonality, and authority that I didn't even know I was missing from my system.

What's very noticeable is the texture in the music and instruments. I thought I was already having that in instruments like bass guitar or drums but they are now so much more clearer and well-defined. Notes are no longer mere notes, you can hear so much of the instrumentation behind them. Drums and percussion are so well-defined that no matter how busy layered everything else are in the track, you don't lose sense of them. Things just don't get muddled.

I think when you get to the point where you have a high-end system, a cable like this is like night and day. The power and data are on separate cable runs, as you can see below. And if you're in Los Angeles and want to have a listen, as well as test out your headphones (the higher end the better of course), feel free to DM me:

Sablon Audio

IMG_20200930_112547.jpg
IMG_20200930_112603.jpg
20200615_145513_HDR.jpg

Custom PC --> Sablon 2020 Panatela Reserva Elite powered USB Cable --> Chord HUGO TT2 --> Sommer Epilogue XLR Cable --> Cayin HA-300 DHT 300b Tube Amp (Psvane ACME 300b + NOS Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base tubes) --> Mavismodz custom 4-core OCC copper balanced cable with Furutech miniXLR & 4-pin XLR terminations --> Audeze LCD-3 Fazor headphone/ BJC Ten White Speaker Cable --> Tekton Lore Reference Speakers

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #1,860 of 3,657
That is what unfortunately may very well put you, " science guys" in the very same category as the cable beleivers.

Here you are - the routine IEM stock wire- 0.8-1 Ohm per wire, two of them in the circuit. They should be flexible, otherwise they become unusable, so the coat hanger wires do not do trick here :)
Pictures attached below.

True that the trend in designing IEMs with the impedance below 16 Ohm can be viewed critically, especially that the values cited just at 1 kHz, the transducer resonances can give even lower values

Nevertheless, that is how cables matter, matter for the frequency response, and quite appreciably so in many cases.
When it gets to less than 2 ohm resistance, it becomes difficult to measure specially with common multimeters.
My fluke meter with its gold plated crocodile clips put together, measures 0.1 ohm - resolution is +/- 0.1 digit.
With the long probes touching tips, it reads 0.7 ohm ! twisting the plugs inside the sockets a bit and putting pressure on the tips as I press them together improves it to 0.4 ohm.
Termination method of the cable to the jack, mild corrosion of the jack and the socket causes this contact resistance to go up too - there is also the small capacitive and inductive nature of the cable to consider.
Now this is all irrelevant if connected to a proper output stage of very low output impedance, but connect it to a cheap quality headphone amplifier, with a headphone that dips to low impedances at certain frequencies and it can alter the sound signature.
Indeed, I put it to you that quality gear suffers less because of cable inadequacies - it is the substandard gear that benefits from them and reveals something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back