How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,801 of 3,657
I have a very resolving system and I can hear it clearly and everyone that comes over too
I don't believe that is true, regardless of how resolving your system may be, and you must be mistaken about the cause for any audible difference that might be heard. We will have to part ways on this issue and continue to disagree.

I know you are trolling. Don't bother replying to me, as I will move on and ignore you going forward.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #1,802 of 3,657
I don't believe that is true, regardless of how resolving your system may be, and you must be mistaken about the cause for any audible difference that might be heard. We will have to part ways on this issue and continue to disagree.

I know you are trolling. Don't bother replying to me, as I will move on and ignore you going forward.
Go right ahead. You are making it all personal, it's of no difference to me, what you do

You likely have low end stuff so no surprize you can't head a difference in a system that costs hundreds of bucks... They are budget system with a budget sound

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,803 of 3,657
Go right ahead. You are making it all personal, it's of no difference to me, what you do

You likely have low end stuff so no surprize you can't head a difference in a system that costs hundreds of bucks... They are budget system with a budget sound

You should try out some coat hangers.

https://www.soundguys.com/cable-myths-reviving-the-coathanger-test-23553/

tl;dr:
From this we learn that only at 10kHz, where no fundamentals of our music live: using a coathanger as a cable will result in a slightly increased range of emphasis, only when no other sounds of similar frequency are present, and only when no other harmonics that occupy the same range. As you can imagine, those conditions will almost certainly never exist when listening to music.

Interestingly, the readers of Android Authority, when asked to do a subjective test, preferred the coat hangers by a pretty wide margin. I guess I better replace the Amazon Basics speaker cables in my living room.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,804 of 3,657
I have a very resolving system and I can hear it clearly and everyone that comes over too

I see dead people. Even my wife can see them!

I've done blind test and again, instant difference between the cheap generic cables and silver cables. Instantly heard in 10 seconds in the track.

I'd be interested in hearing detailed accounts of how you conducted your blind testing. What controls did you use? Please go into detail on that. And what kind of procedure did you use for the testing? How many samples and how many did you accurately identify? Was there a difference between your success rate and your friends'?

Convince us with your thorough testing procedures.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #1,805 of 3,657
I'd be interested in hearing detailed accounts of how you conducted your blind testing. What controls did you use? Please go into detail on that. And what kind of procedure did you use for the testing? How many samples and how many did you accurately identify? Was there a difference between your success rate and your friends'?

ROTFLMAO!
You first, bigshot, you first. When I tried that with you, it was like pulling teeth...

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,806 of 3,657
The difference is, I have actually done a lot of tests. I don't think he has ever done any. It's easy to say that you've done tests without ever having done them. I just want to hear him tell me the basics. I'm not going to nail him to the cross of +/-.5dB. I just want to hear that he knows what a controlled test is. I leave nitpicking to people who enjoy that.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,807 of 3,657
The difference is, I have actually done a lot of tests. I don't think he has ever done any. It's easy to say that you've done tests without ever having done them. I just want to hear him tell me the basics. I'm not going to nail him to the cross of +/-.5dB. I just want to hear that he knows what a controlled test is. I leave nitpicking to people who enjoy that.
The problem is I doubt you did them correctly, if at all. I'd LOVE for you to prove me wrong and humiliate me. And I'm not looking for nitpicking correctness, simply answers to your own questions. I've tried without success, remember?
No nitpicking, just this:

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,808 of 3,657
The problem is I doubt you did them correctly, if at all. I'd LOVE for you to prove me wrong and humiliate me. And I'm not looking for nitpicking correctness, simply answers to your own questions. I've tried without success, remember?
No nitpicking, just this:

bigshot isn't making any claims of wild differences that he's heard between equipment. He's arguing for the null. I am not sure what test you're asking him to document.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,809 of 3,657
bigshot isn't making any claims of wild differences that he's heard between equipment.
Great! But not relevant to my post.
I am not sure what test you're asking him to document.
So then ask!
I guess you have not read too many of bigshot's posts. He often states that he has done controlled listening tests on everything he owns, and he often tells others to do their own listening tests and that "it's easy". I've pointed out to him that some listening tests are indeed easy and some are tricky, even difficult. He says I expect publishable or lab standard tests, which is untrue. I have asked for details on his tests, but first he ignored the request, then did some hand waving, then "an engineer friend" appears in the explanation to deal with the technical stuff that he couldn't answer. If you need an engineer friend to do a test, maybe it should not be advertised as "easy".

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,810 of 3,657
Great! But not relevant to my post.

So then ask!
I guess you have not read too many of bigshot's posts. He often states that he has done controlled listening tests on everything he owns, and he often tells others to do their own listening tests and that "it's easy". I've pointed out to him that some listening tests are indeed easy and some are tricky, even difficult. He says I expect publishable or lab standard tests, which is untrue. I have asked for details on his tests, but first he ignored the request, then did some hand waving, then "an engineer friend" appears in the explanation to deal with the technical stuff. If you need an engineer friend to do a test, maybe it should not be advertised as "easy".

Well, I have read those posts, actually. And I have to agree with him. If all you're doing is making a decision for yourself, you don't need extreme rigor, and testing of "Head-Fi" equipment (you know, headphones and their related sources) it actually is pretty damn simple. An A/B switch, a test tone file for volume matching, and a friend is really all you need. If you prove a null for yourself, then you can move on with your life. And I think that most people would, if they're honest with themselves.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,811 of 3,657
Well, I have read those posts, actually. And I have to agree with him. If all you're doing is making a decision for yourself, you don't need extreme rigor, and testing of "Head-Fi" equipment (you know, headphones and their related sources) it actually is pretty damn simple. An A/B switch, a test tone file for volume matching, and a friend is really all you need. If you prove a null for yourself, then you can move on with your life. And I think that most people would, if they're honest with themselves.
But he does much more than make a decision for himself. He derides and tries to shoo away people who have made decisions for themselves. If he tried to simply, but respectfully, "sell a better way", I'd have no problem.
And the problem with "proving" a null to yourself is, if the test is sloppy, it may not be a null for you. Some will argue that if the test must be "un-sloppy", the difference is too subtle to matter. You can make that decision for yourself, but you need to let others make their own informed decision.
By the way, thinking of the other thread about the DAC bet, and bigshot's oft-mentioned $40 Walmart disc player, how would you set them up for a test? I ask him how would he? (Crickets...) The oft-mentioned $20-$50 switcher won't do it.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,812 of 3,657
But he does much more than make a decision for himself. He derides and tries to shoo away people who have made decisions for themselves. If he tried to simply, but respectfully, "sell a better way", I'd have no problem.
And the problem with "proving" a null to yourself is, if the test is sloppy, it may not be a null for you. Some will argue that if the test must be "un-sloppy", the difference is too subtle to matter. You can make that decision for yourself, but you need to let others make their own informed decision.
By the way, thinking of the other thread about the DAC bet, and bigshot's oft-mentioned $40 Walmart disc player, how would you set them up for a test? I ask him how would he? (Crickets...) The oft-mentioned $20-$50 switcher won't do it.

Depends on what kind of outputs said Walmart disc player has. You very well might be able to easily adapt it to a switcher.

Anyway, if you need more rigor, there is plenty of published research available on the topic. But that's not your own ears, which is what many audiophiles claim is so special. So do it with your own ears, but at least make your test blind. Else your eyes are what's making the difference. (also well established).

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,813 of 3,657
Depends on what kind of outputs said Walmart disc player has. You very well might be able to easily adapt it to a switcher.

Anyway, if you need more rigor, there is plenty of published research available on the topic.
The problem is not switching the output, it's synchronizing the 2 players. If the bogeyman, I mean audiophile, tells you he compared 2 players, the $8000 Super Megaphonic Platinum, and bs's Walmart player, and proudly announces he chose correctly 29/30 times, would you say "gee, I guess it's better"? Or would you realize that he figured out which was a second, even less, ahead of the other and used that cue instead of sound?

I'm not saying I need more rigor. I know how to do these tests. Although I'm familiar with a lot, but definitely not all, of the published research, I'm not familiar with any published research comparing disc players in a blind listening test. Can you give me a reference? I'd like to check it out.

PM received and point well taken. Good night for now....

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,814 of 3,657
The problem is not switching the output, it's synchronizing the 2 players. If the bogeyman, I mean audiophile, tells you he compared 2 players, the $8000 Super Megaphonic Platinum, and bs's Walmart player, and proudly announces he chose correctly 29/30 times, would you say "gee, I guess it's better"? Or would you realize that he figured out which was a second, even less, ahead of the other and used that cue instead of sound?

I'm not saying I need more rigor. I know how to do these tests. Although I'm familiar with a lot, but definitely not all, of the published research, I'm not familiar with any published research comparing disc players in a blind listening test. Can you give me a reference? I'd like to check it out.

PM received and point well taken. Good night for now....
You are the only one here that makes any sense

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,815 of 3,657
We say pretty much the same things. He just wants to argue because his ego makes him see me as an opponent. I really don’t care. I speak for myself and I’m not jealous of anyone. In fact, I’m here to learn. But I don’t learn well from people with a chip on their shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back