How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #1,756 of 3,657
The only thing that Trumps a double blind test is a double deaf test.

I don't usually comment on grammar mistakes since I certainly make them myself, but...that verb probably shouldn't have a capital T, regardless of who's the president.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,757 of 3,657
It is a waste of time trying to convince them. They simply say that the people failing the blind test does not have their golden ears or their very expensive, transparent and resolving equipment. Preaching in the desert!.
Oh I know. I've been down that road. It's essentially religion around these parts.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,758 of 3,657
Well I am new to this thread.
In my years of Hifi (I am 60) - I have realized a thing or two.
- there are rare cases where a certain "component" is exceptionally good, very few and far between.
- on the other hand, "bad components" crop up every where - even from some top manufacturers.
- when it comes to "cables", for as long as one avoids "bad ones" there is no need to go much further,
I certainly have not come across an exceptional cable, simply because I don;t believe in one, so I have not been looking!
my backround in in electrical engineering.

Checkout my DIY interconnects ( No RF issues of any kind)
Made by using very thin/flexible stereo shielded cable - I used the two shields for +/- 5V supply, and the inner cores for +/- data:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-cable-gallery.71148/post-15939991
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-cable-gallery.71148/post-15932742

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,759 of 3,657
I’m 61, and back in the 70s and 80s, there were good and bad components. Today with digital audio, everything I find sounds great. Price differences are because of features, not sound. Sometimes because of build quality. But I really don’t mind buying a cheaper amp and having it burn out in five or six years. By then, there’s new technology that makes replacing it worthwhile. My brother bought a McIntosh system back on the 70s. It still works great, but no HDMI or digital inputs, no TV integration, no multichannel, it’s just an amp and receiver. He set it up in the corner and uses a modern AVR most of the time.

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,760 of 3,657
I’m 61, and back in the 70s and 80s, there were good and bad components. Today with digital audio, everything I find sounds great.
You are due for a hearing tests :older_man: (and I am jelous)

. My brother bought a McIntosh system back on the 70s. It still works great,
Well that McIntosh is one of those rare exceptional components I was talking about. Indeed many good Tube amplifiers of 70's to 90's (US built specially) were brilliant.
If I was in states, I would have offered to buy it off him.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #1,761 of 3,657
I’m not deaf.

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #1,762 of 3,657
I’m not deaf.
I would not be disrespectful - but a hearing test (I was joking ofcourse) shows your hearing capabilities at differing frequencies and levels.
If there are any shortcomings, that may explain a bit towards your statement " with digital audio, everything I find sounds great. "
Specially with digital, I am very difficult to please - but not impossible.
It takes an exceptional DAC that I can call good - most are crap or at best just adequate. Just a handful (Chord, dCs, Naim ...) I can call good.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,764 of 3,657
Oct 27, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,765 of 3,657
...It takes an exceptional DAC that I can call good - most are crap or at best just adequate. Just a handful (Chord, dCs, Naim ...) I can call good.

That is just factually inaccurate. Converting digital to analog is trivial at this point, and the accuracy of the conversion is completely measurable. Every DAC on the market that isn't intentionally coloring sound is completely transparent.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #1,766 of 3,657
That is just factually inaccurate. Converting digital to analog is trivial at this point, and the accuracy of the conversion is completely measurable. Every DAC on the market that isn't intentionally coloring sound is completely transparent.
So much factuality flying about !.
And who knows which is which and who is who

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,767 of 3,657
It takes an exceptional DAC that I can call good - most are crap or at best just adequate. Just a handful (Chord, dCs, Naim ...) I can call good.

I will be disrespectful. I'll bet you $1000 (USD) that you couldn't tell the difference between a $50k Chord, or dCs or Naim and a $100 SMSL Sanskrit in a DBT.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #1,768 of 3,657
I will be disrespectful. I'll bet you $1000 (USD) that you couldn't tell the difference between a $50k Chord, or dCs or Naim and a $100 SMSL Sanskrit in a DBT.
You are on!
we just need this Covid craze to die down a bit so I could rob you blind!
or is it double blind.
Respectfully of course 😊.

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #1,770 of 3,657
You are on!
we just need this Covid craze to die down a bit so I could rob you blind!
or is it double blind.
Respectfully of course 😊.

I'll take the enormous corpus of scientific data and papers on the subject from AES over your feelings on the subject. If we could ever actually do this test, you would lose. I say this with 100% certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back