Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,726 of 3,657
Audio cables are components
Cables conduct electricity and not numbers
Cable quality matters.

That’s why I buy quality, well designed cables made by Amazon Basics

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #1,730 of 3,657
Why do you think cables make a perceived difference?
Components matter. Materials matter.
Low end system doesn't show a cables characteristics, simply not transparent enough.
Higher end gear shows a difference right away
But generally a 2k system will show, but very little.
Around 1k (talking dac/amp/hp combo) just won't show a difference in cables, very minor if at all.
North of 2k with reputable gear will instantly show the difference as it can achieve higher transparency
Its very unfortunate that higher end audio costs a lot even used. I wish everyone could enjoy the best of thr hobby.

Again, components and materials matter.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #1,732 of 3,657
At the 0.1 dB (at best) order of magnitude? I am talking about sonic improvements, not about look and feel.
No, dar higher. It generally improves transparency, I'm not talking about looks, to me those don't matter.
Transparency, and because of that layering are the first that show up when introducing a quality cable into a quality higher end system.
The more transparent the drivers and dac/amp is the more the characteristics of the cable at hand will sound.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #1,733 of 3,657
No, dar higher. It generally improves transparency, I'm not talking about looks, to me those don't matter.
Transparency, and because of that layering are the first that show up when introducing a quality cable into a quality higher end system.
The more transparent the drivers and dac/amp is the more the characteristics of the cable at hand will sound.
Do you know the basic LRC laws and principles? How the masking effect affects the detection of nonlinearities? How transducers are orders of magnitude more flawed than other electrical and electronic components? Do you realize that ears are not better than analyzers at detecting these nonlinearities? Do you have any method to remove bias from your observations?

Finally, are you trolling?

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #1,734 of 3,657
Do you know the basic LRC laws and principles? How the masking effect affects the detection of nonlinearities? How transducers are orders of magnitude more flawed than other electrical and electronic components? Do you realize that ears are not better than analyzers at detecting these nonlinearities? Do you have any method to remove bias from your observations?

Finally, are you trolling?
I'm not. I responded to a thread's title.
I don't have a way to do all those things you asked. But I encourage you to stay cheap with cheap quality components across the board.
If it achieves happiness in your hobby at lower prices, we'll then, you are a true winner.
I wish I had you'd mentality, I would have cheaper gear and have been much happier.

All your questions above intended to introduce complexity... I shoot them down by pointing out the ever growing high end cable market. From various brands at various success stages and $ prices. They wouldn't exist based on look and feel alone.

You are asking a posters answer to a title of a thread...

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,735 of 3,657
All your questions above intended to introduce complexity... I shoot them down by pointing out the ever growing high end cable market. From various brands at various success stages and $ prices. They wouldn't exist based on look and feel alone.

You are asking a posters answer to a title of a thread...
There's no complexity when it comes to audio cables. The so called high end cable market is not growing. They target a shrinking market of gullible subset of 'audiophiles'.

Without getting into the science basics and ignoring that the snakeoil put out by these so called high end cable makers never publish results of blind tests, surely anyone with basic critical thinking skills would arrive at the correct conclusion when realising no-one over the past 30 years has been able to claim the $1m Randi prize - a few takers by users (never by the manufacturers - strange that...) but no pass.

I'm sure you are either trolling (being an audio science forum) or another case of cognitive dissonance by being sucked in to the snake and spending heaps of cash on cables that have been proven to perform no better than coat hangers.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,736 of 3,657
There's no complexity when it comes to audio cables. The so called high end cable market is not growing. They target a shrinking market of gullible subset of 'audiophiles'.

Without getting into the science basics and ignoring that the snakeoil put out by these so called high end cable makers never publish results of blind tests, surely anyone with basic critical thinking skills would arrive at the correct conclusion when realising no-one over the past 30 years has been able to claim the $1m Randi prize - a few takers by users (never by the manufacturers - strange that...) but no pass.

I'm sure you are either trolling (being an audio science forum) or another case of cognitive dissonance by being sucked in to the snake and spending heaps of cash on cables that have been proven to perform no better than coat hangers.
You are wrong on most things you said.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #1,738 of 3,657
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,739 of 3,657
Components matter. Materials matter.
Low end system doesn't show a cables characteristics, simply not transparent enough.
Higher end gear shows a difference right away
But generally a 2k system will show, but very little.
Around 1k (talking dac/amp/hp combo) just won't show a difference in cables, very minor if at all.
North of 2k with reputable gear will instantly show the difference as it can achieve higher transparency
Its very unfortunate that higher end audio costs a lot even used. I wish everyone could enjoy the best of thr hobby.

Again, components and materials matter.

Congratulations - that's the largest number of audiophile tropes and platitudes per word I've seen recently.

I have "reputable gear" (at least I think it's reputable, not sure how that's assessed) which is worth far more than your arbitrary demarcation line of price/audibility. Yet under controlled testing, I can't detect a difference in cables. Before you move on to the "you must be deaf" response, my hearing tests come back with acceptable results...

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,740 of 3,657
I have a Klotz USB cable. Using this cable the player randomly lost connection to a DAC.
I replaced this cable with a cheaper Hama USB cable. The problem had been resolved.
I can use the Klotz cable for file transfer without seeing any error.
So do USB cables make a difference? YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back