How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #991 of 3,657
-bad cables sold as standard they don't follow, like you buy a certain gauge and material, but under the insulation is a tiny little crap(it does happen).
And it happens with some common hi-fi speaker cables as well. A few years ago, a home theater magazine measured several 12AWG speaker cables. The resistance values were all over the place.

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #992 of 3,657
Why would you think that the 'solid core silver wire' would have lower resistance than an ordinary copper wire? Unless the cross-section area of both wires and the lengths are exactly the same, then the copper wire could have a lower resistance.
And if any small resistance differences changed the sound, then a 10 foot and an 11 foot speaker cable (of the same construction) would sound different.
You have 2 physically identical pieces of wire, copper and silver, silver is better conductor so resistance will be lower? Im not saying the differences are as simple as resistance (if it was it would be easily measurable, and using a thicker gauge copper would be as good as silver), I expected the response that the silver cable has lower resistance and that shouldnt matter if the 5$ one is already low enough in resistance to not make an audible difference.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #993 of 3,657
You have 2 physically identical pieces of wire, copper and silver, silver is better conductor so resistance will be lower? Im not saying the differences are as simple as resistance (if it was it would be easily measurable, and using a thicker gauge copper would be as good as silver), I expected the response that the silver cable has lower resistance and that shouldnt matter if the 5$ one is already low enough in resistance to not make an audible difference.

Assume less. Read this section more.

None of the differences you describe are audible. But they are measurable. Exactly the opposite of what you believe the case to be.

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #995 of 3,657
I didnt make this test and if you cant already hear the clear distinction between the cables you will not hear it over FLAC.

So you're saying you don't personally know how these two samples were prepared and the difference isn't clearly audible?

Because in Sound Science, we ask for information about how tests are conducted, and we are looking for audible differences that can't be attributed to bias or perceptual error.

Have you read the first post in the Testing Audio Myths thread that is pinned at the top of the Sound Science forum? You probably should familiarize yourself with that before you go further with this topic.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #996 of 3,657
it will outweigh them but not eliminate them. it's a terrible example, for sure.
I agree all the things you mention can make huge differences, your mood and hearing depending on the day can make the same system sound completely different.
it will outweigh them but not eliminate them. it's a terrible example, for sure.
I agree all the things you mention can make huge differences, your mood and hearing depending on the day can make the same system sound completely different.

1. "it will outweigh them but not eliminate them." For sure, but what my examples outweigh may be measurable but not audible. Purely psychological and maybe placebo.

2. "it's a terrible example, for sure." Please specify said example.

3. "I agree all the things you mention can make huge differences .... " At least we agree on that.

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #997 of 3,657
You have 2 physically identical pieces of wire, copper and silver, silver is better conductor so resistance will be lower?
But you will never have those two identical pieces. It's hard to find two identical copper wires from different sources. But the difference between copper and silver is trivial. It's less that the difference between a 10 foot and an 11 foot wire.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #998 of 3,657
its_alive2.gif

Eight years in suspended animation.... IT'S ALIVE!

Nope!

Dead thread.

LOL, I don't know why you bother.... :)

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #999 of 3,657
I havent described any differences, differences in sound that is.

Correct, you've described differences in your perception ... but for some unfathomable reason you don't seem able or willing to comprehend that fact and prefer instead to believe in some inexplicable, magical property which can't be measured and doesn't exist in the sound recording or reproduction process.

G

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #1,000 of 3,657
Correct, you've described differences in your perception ... but for some unfathomable reason you don't seem able or willing to comprehend that fact and prefer instead to believe in some inexplicable, magical property which can't be measured and doesn't exist in the sound recording or reproduction process.

G
hey kid, I provided a link to a study that proves people can hear differences in cables so please stop talking to me, you are delusional or ignoring the plain fact that you are wrong.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,001 of 3,657
troll

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,002 of 3,657
I recently wasted a ton of money on 3.5mm audio cables to connect a pair of headphones to a portable music player. Brand names like Ugreen, Robotsky, Raxfly, etc on Aliexpress.

I've learned after spending/wasting $50+ dollars on 20+ cables that I should have just bought UGREEN AUDIO CABLES cause... they are the best! They can even be found on Amazon.

My favorite UGreen cable is their HI-FI model. My least favorite is their denim-look model.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,003 of 3,657
The denim cable works better with country music.

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,004 of 3,657
I would say
The denim cable works better with country music.
I would say the Ugreen denim cable doesn't work well at all. However, every other cable I bought from them did.

How does a cable sound good with one form of music but not with another? That sounds like a bad cable.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,005 of 3,657
I was joking. Interconnects should all sound the same. If they don’t, there is probably a manufacturing defect and all you have to do is return it and replace it with a six dollar Amazon basics or Monoprice cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back