How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,066 of 3,657
All the manufacturers need to do is post hard evidence showing, via measurement or legitimate ABX testing, that a properly constructed cable makes an AUDIBLE difference and the debate is over. Yet to date, not a single one has despite the reality that doing so would exponentially increase their sales.

Now if you want to make the argument that cable companies can intentionally produce out of spec cables that changes the signal, sure. But that doesn’t align well with the “audiophile” goal of passing the signal without alteration.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #1,067 of 3,657
I've even been to a meet where there was a cable company comparing cables with the same amp & same headphones and people were noting side by side differences ..
I don't remember which brand was implicated in a fake cable test at a show not that long ago(maybe 2 years?). I often wonder if that even put a dent in their market share when they got caught doing that sort of crap? or if they just went "oh you got us! we pinky swear we won't do it again, *wink wink*". and resumed their daily lives like nothing happened.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,068 of 3,657
I don't remember which brand was implicated in a fake cable test at a show not that long ago(maybe 2 years?). I often wonder if that even put a dent in their market share when they got caught doing that sort of crap? or if they just went "oh you got us! we pinky swear we won't do it again, *wink wink*". and resumed their daily lives like nothing happened.

I’ll bet two strands of OCC copper on the latter.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,069 of 3,657
Audioquest.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,070 of 3,657
Omg wow I didn't think of that could have been fixed!

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,071 of 3,657
Audioquest.
oh of course the audioquest video!!! I was thinking about something much more low key, but AQ got all the media attention it deserved with that vid.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,072 of 3,657
Oct 12, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,074 of 3,657
reading the entire post and a few following responses you linked, I'd be tempted to disregard whatever they say because of a simple but crucial idea. they directly attribute sound characteristics to a metal or the way it's braided. anybody understanding half a thing about electricity would facepalm after reading that sort of concept. same ignorance demonstrated differently, the guy didn't find it relevant to mention what the cable was plugged into when he got his impressions.
that sort of post would fail to convince me that water is wet.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,075 of 3,657
Check out this partial post about depth perception because of the cable:

Yep, entirely typical stuff which is expected from cable believers. It's based on the principle that silver is a better conductor than copper and therefore the analogue/electrical signal will have higher fidelity at the end of a silver cable than a copper one. While this is true, the actual difference in conductivity is very roughly the same as the difference between a 9' copper cable and a 9'1" copper cable (if I remember correctly). I wonder if you played a recording to one of these audiophile cable believers on a 9'1" copper cable and then the same playback with a 9' copper cable, if they would come out with the same flowery descriptions of the differences? The most telling statement for me was:
I am also not impressed by the idea that many bare silver wires are in constant contact with each other.
This statement completely sums up the whole audiophile cable market; it's all entirely based on being "impressed by the idea". The idea of silver being a more precious metal than copper, of it having better conductivity, of reduced skin effect, of various other effects that are actual, real effects but are either inaudible or ridiculously inaudible and, even some effects which don't exist, that someone has just made-up. If someone is "impressed by the idea" of one cable over another, there's a good chance their perception will be altered to include that fact and then we're into arguments like "I know what I'm hearing" and "I trust my ears", even though it's trivially easy to demonstrate that they don't know what they're hearing and that it's got nothing to do with one's ears anyway!

Audiophile cables have nothing relevant or nothing whatsoever to do with the cables' actual performance, just whether or not audiophiles can be "impressed by the idea" of them, which is why, as @bfreedma alludes, they never publish the actual performance of audiophile cables or relate their performance to standard, non-audiophile cables.

G

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,076 of 3,657
Oct 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #1,078 of 3,657
Just saying: what he described are effects easily achieved in mastering - though some engineers may not wish to admit. Know any? :wink:
just click on the link, this has nothing to do with mastering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back