How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #797 of 3,657
Quote:

like...

Like certain voodoo superstitions that can pass STDs around in Africa, and why it's important to use condoms.  Some of the natives still believe that sex with a virgin will heal them of ailments.  Same with trying to convince certain religions that prayer healing alone doesn't work and that they're just leaving their young to die (a while back it seemed like at least one case a month was popping up in the news).

Everyday work can require trying to convince those in control of your departments budget that you need $x amount of dollars, and that usually takes lots of convincing.

Retail work can require you to convince someone to buy a subscription or sign-up for some promo or you'll lose your job.

All of these are outside audio and are of varying importance - but may be considered an example where one would need to convince someone of something contrary to their beliefs.

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #798 of 3,657
Actually, cables do make a difference.

Sighted testing regularly shows that people can discern a difference when they know cables are being swapped around.

Buying a new cable which has rave reviews or high recommendation can make your hifi sound better.

The actual construction of a cable and its electric properties vary, which explains why cables can sound different.

Actually, cables do not make a difference.

Blind testing continually shows that the alleged differences between cables is not as real as people think it is.

Too often buying a new cable, means buying a more expensive one, as that is an upgrade, when there are many cheap unbranded cables that perform exactly the same.

The actual construction of a cable and its electrical properties vary, which in turn can affect the volume setting between different cables on the same hifi equipment. That makes cables sound different because of volume variations. There is no difference in sound quality so long as the volume is equalised.

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #799 of 3,657
Where is the meet to show cables do not make a difference? If it is my area, would sure attend the demonstration.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #800 of 3,657

Where is the meet to show cables do not make a difference? If it is my area, would sure attend the demonstration.

I'd like to set up a testing table at the next CanJam. I'd bring in few cables and let people listen and write down impressions. I wouldn't allow measurements, because that would show which ones have resistors, capacitors and other surprises hidden inside.

This would also be a good way to have lots of other cables on hand.

Wouldn't it be something if someone gave top marks to a $3,000 cable as well as a string of paperclips soldered together?

I think we'll see that and plenty more at CanJam 2011.

P.S. If you give the brine cable a nice review, I'll let you keep it. :)

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #801 of 3,657
I will have another meet up here around October. It will be a great time to try out some cables? I will be looking at the space in a few days and beer is allowed on premises. It should be a few notches better then the last one and it was pretty darn good.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #802 of 3,657
I hope you guys do get something sorted. A test with various members of Head-fi taking part would be, well lets see first.....!

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #803 of 3,657

Quote:
Trying to convince someone that audio cables don't make a difference is like trying to convince someone that God exists.  Can't be done nor should it be done.

Could not agree more. It is sad to see 'respected' head-fiers mention cables make such a difference. Even sadder to see many others believing what they say..... *sigh*

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #804 of 3,657

Quote:
Could not agree more. It is sad to see 'respected' head-fiers mention cables make such a difference. Even sadder to see many others believing what they say..... *sigh*

Have you ever thought that head-fiers have more or less experience with gear then your own? Not saying you don't have a good opinion.  Just saying some may have a different point of view based on their own experience. That is the part that makes head-fi great.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #805 of 3,657
ISP installer was here recently and said he used to own a stereo store so we got around to speaking about audio quality. When he said audio cables make 150% difference I ended the conversation right there because I felt his opinion was no longer credible.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #806 of 3,657
Quote:
Have you ever thought that head-fiers have more or less experience with gear then your own? Not saying you don't have a good opinion.  Just saying some may have a different point of view based on their own experience. That is the part that makes head-fi great.

My opinion does not matter. The scientific method does. If there is no sound science behind the alleged differences, they mean nothing to me. Personal anecdotes have no value.
How many cables I have listened carries no bearing on the truth. If it sounds better to you, but you can not back up your findings with facts, I am really not interested.
Anything that can be objectively proven is valid. The rest is hocus pocus, until proven otherwise.
Lazard is right, it is futile to argue this point. When you have some hard facts pm me and we can then discuss the validity (or not) of your findings.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #807 of 3,657
gelency, your opinion does matter. At the end of the day you are the one listening to your rig. You are the one paying for everything for your rig. Scientific facts are really mute, are they using your rig to try out cables? Going to demonstrations, the many meets, any all the cables that have been in my system, have got a good opinion on cables. My rig hasn't changed for a long time. Yeah I known it's all "hocus pocus", "snake oil" for gear that some really don't understand how it works, the metallurgy, or the principles behind them? Nothing is for free. You will pay for someone to design a cable. That is why I make all the cables I use. And I go to every meet in my area. Very active defining my opinion.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #808 of 3,657
Big Poppa, how do you go about designing a cable? I mean, you can't measure it and refine the design to meet engineering criteria. I'm curious how someone would design something that defies any and all measurements and is apparently extremely difficult to compare A/B.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #809 of 3,657
It is not that hard Uncle Erik. Learn the metallurgy (Learn the difference between all the different metals). Then once you understand the strengths and weakness's of your gear, you will know which direction to go in. Oh yeah, you have to define the sound you are looking for.
Everything is straight forward. Make a few cables, you will know what you like and dislike quite quickly.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #810 of 3,657
BigPoppa: is not about my opinion. It is about the truth.
I wont waste my money unless there is evidence to the contrary.
Just because somebody makes some pretty cables (they may be more durable and nicer, yes), does not mean they sound better.
I may even convince myself they sound better, but if I know there is no data to support my feelings, I know I am deluding myself. I'll pass, thank you.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em] BTW, I really like this book. I wish there were more people like him. (Carl Sagan)[/size]

[size=1.7em] The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark[/size]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back