How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #34 of 3,657
Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #35 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

This is the crux of the matter. I agree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #36 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This requires a lot of beers, but as Kai wrote: why bother just enjoy your music and be happy.

Mmmm, beer.
beerchug.gif

[size=xx-small]Sorry, could not resist[/size]

german-beer.jpg

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #37 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm, beer.
beerchug.gif

[size=xx-small]Sorry, could not resist[/size]

german-beer.jpg

...I was just about to post something but after seeing this picture I have completely forgot what I was going to say...

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #38 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I was just about to post something but after seeing this picture I have completely forgot what I was going to say...

Me TWO!!!! Thanks for making my day! (I'm easy)

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #39 of 3,657
I could understand where you're coming from in trying to convince people that cables don't make an actual audio difference, but in a way I can easily see how people interpret this. Because copper and silver have different densities, silver being the more dense, they are going to "sound" different.

This, obviously isn't technically true because all the material is doing is transferring the signal from the DAP to the headphones and the material is simply a transit. Uneducated people would attribute to the "clearer highs" or the "punchier bass" to being the cable, which, technically they could, but the cable is just providing a more efficient means to transfer the signal.

Now anyone feel free to correct or attack this post because I use all criticism constructively (if it isn't given improperly) and I'm on these forums to learn and help further my enjoyment of my music (as we all are).

That's just what I think anyway.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #40 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you that keen to waste your time?

By far, my favourite post in this thread. Who cares? It's like atheism - you should just not believe in religion to yourself, not go on evangelical rampage. Meh.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #41 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could understand where you're coming from in trying to convince people that cables don't make an actual audio difference, but in a way I can easily see how people interpret this. Because copper and silver have different densities, silver being the more dense, they are going to "sound" different.

This, obviously isn't technically true because all the material is doing is transferring the signal from the DAP to the headphones and the material is simply a transit. Uneducated people would attribute to the "clearer highs" or the "punchier bass" to being the cable, which, technically they could, but the cable is just providing a more efficient means to transfer the signal.

Now anyone feel free to correct or attack this post because I use all criticism constructively (if it isn't given improperly) and I'm on these forums to learn and help further my enjoyment of my music (as we all are).

That's just what I think anyway.

The same could be said about an amp. Yet there are those who will describe how an amp sounds, rather than how an amp influences the sound apart from simply making it louder. OTOH, some of us get uncomfortable when someone speaks of how a cable sounds in said fashion.

This is why I'm in agreement with Haloxt in that it's about knowing yourself. The LESS you know yourself, the more evangelical you'll become with things as these. Cable believers do not need the assistance of those apparently in the know. Those apparently in the know have themselves to help first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #42 of 3,657
Uh huh
biggrin.gif

In the end it comes down to what you know and the level of resolve you have for the whole situation. If I think (and I don't) that silver itself makes my music sounds better, sure I could be wrong, but at the end of the day if it makes me love my music more, what's the problem?

Now I'm not saying that I'm entitled to the knowledge that it doesn't and I fully advocate the education of others when they're wrong because who likes people who unknowingly spread wrong information? But once you explain it to someone, remember that they are entitled to their own opinions and sadly some people just aren't going to listen.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #43 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't see this as a personal/interpersonal issue at all. Seems the enemy here is darkness. That is, lack of properly collected and analyzed data. Until someone posts the results of an F test, nobody knows.

Opinions don't matter one bit and any question that can be posed with hypothesis testing and measurement can be conclusively answered (e.g. 'molecule x opens membrane channel y' or ' 'i can tell the difference between x and y'). I do medical research for a living, believe me, hypothesis testing works.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #45 of 3,657
Cables make a huge difference to me!

By the way, besides the normal feelings induced by this picture, it also makes me have to pee:

german-beer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back