How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #1,876 of 3,657
If that’s your idea of ”evidence”, I don’t know what to say.

It’s disheartening to see people who don’t appear to have a basic understanding of how digital audio works making claims that don’t align at all with the actual technical implementation being discussed.

Oh well, someone has to help fund expensive cars for the audiophile cable industry. Hope you enjoy being taken along for the ride.
I love cables and the sonic difference they make!

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #1,877 of 3,657
Hey, since cables don't matter, I'm looking for a really thin, light weight cable to use with a balanced connection. I can DIY the ends, but I want advice on where to find really thin, soft, rubber, black, ropey cable. Braided nylon exterior is ok, too. I have a few aux cables that are basically perfect. I guess I could buy really long lengths of them, but then would have to butcher them.

No. I'm not trolling (completely).

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,878 of 3,657
It's like someone who has a Honda telling someone with a Ferrari or a Porsche how much tires don't matter for handling. Yeah maybe on your Honda it won't matter as much but it sure will on a Porsche or Ferrari.
Well, for sure you can measure and categorize the differences between tires and their intended uses and produce relevant information between the deltas between cars. Cables are different though...

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #1,880 of 3,657
People will not change. If they think cables sound different, that's what they think and they have the right to believe it, not argument their position, and dismiss opposite opinions. People that do now how cables work, it is hopeless to change people unless they want to change. Answer the question of people who truly want to learn, and let's stop arguing endlessly of a matter that the null has stood by.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,883 of 3,657
The wider the Q, the more easily you can hear amplitude changes. In psychoacoustics, JND reportedly ranges anywhere from .5dB to 2-3dB depending on amplitude and frequency. But, what I am not sure of is how the experiments were conducted, and if they were conducted with noise bands or pure tones. Not only that, if cables make a small difference, the difference can be amplified and compounded by nonlinearities in downstream components, not the least of which is the transducer that introduces lots of distortion.

In this way, I still think it's plausible that cables make a difference.

Whether you should spend $1000 to boost the highs a tiny bit is another issue altogether.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,884 of 3,657
Not that price is always related to quality, but if you want to check my sig, I’m sure you’ll find well over your $500 arbitrary system cost. I only mention this as you seem to believe that expensive gear somehow impacts digital signals. How do those 0s and 1s “know” the cost of gear?...

Digital signal transmission is based on science, not the random opinions of audiophiles. If you can produce any actual evidence supporting your claims, now would be an awesome time to produce it, Sorry, links to a vendor‘s marketing materials does not constitute evidence - hopefully, the reason for that is obvious.

That's why I defer to the likes of of Gordon Rankin on that Darko Audio article

https://darko.audio/2016/05/gordon-rankin-on-why-usb-audio-quality-varies/

As well as on Darko's podcast episode:

https://m.soundcloud.com/johnhdarko/what-is-electrical-noise-and-why-is-it-bad-for-audio-systems

What do you think 1's and 0's are? They're electrical signal that are sent in a time domain fashion, so the accuracy and arrival is very important, and parasitic noise and electricity can still be carried over via the cable into the DAC.

Also, you talk about the science, but how many USB cables have you personally extensively tested? I tested 6 myself, but that's why I also defer to Gordon, Paul McGowan of PS Audio, the Hifi podcast (PS Audio's Senior Analog Design Engineer Darren Myers and The Music Room Testing Technician Duncan Taylor), and other engineers in the industry? Don't you think they've heard dozens if not hundreds of USB cables (and other cables) in their day to day job? For them, it's literally their job to test and test and test, even if it's not to sell that specific component. And when they all say USB cables matter after having heard all of those cables I'll agree with them over you.

Plus, like I said, I've personally heard the difference between USB cables, and it's fine if you can't hear it, but don't make it as if your word is universal facts when so many of us can counter with our own experiences.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,885 of 3,657
Come on man...
It's a USB cable transferring digital signals. Sorry, but you have been ripped off.

No I haven't been ripped off. My friends and I did blind tests at TheSourceAv and us as well as our friend who works there can tell the differences between the USB cables from the DAP to the CHORD Dave. Just because you can't perceive the difference, doesn't mean we can't.

It's like taste. Some people have a lot more refined, more sensitive taste buds

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,886 of 3,657
No I haven't been ripped off. My friends and I did blind tests at TheSourceAv and us as well as our friend who works there can tell the differences between the USB cables from the DAP to the CHORD Dave. Just because you can't perceive the difference, doesn't mean we can't.

It's like taste. Some people have a lot more refined, more sensitive taste buds
Exactly! This guy hits home run guys!

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,889 of 3,657
Clearly we believe the experiences we have had
, not advertising, why is it so difficult to comprehend for you?

Many people claim to have experienced a Bigfoot sighting. I don’t believe them either, no matter how absolutely sure they are.

I’m out unless you care to provide evidence or describe the control protocols and specific results from your “blind testing at an AV store” in detail. My apologies to the rest of the forum for enabling such obvious trolling.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,890 of 3,657
Many people claim to have experienced a Bigfoot sighting. I don’t believe them either, no matter how absolutely sure they are.

I’m out unless you care to provide evidence or describe the control protocols and specific results from your “blind testing at an AV store” in detail. My apologies to the rest of the forum for enabling such obvious trolling.

I did by deferring to engineers and industry experts like Gordon Rankin, Paul McGowan, PS Audio's Senior Analog Design Engineer Darren Myers and The Music Room Testing Technician Duncan Taylor, who all have access to so many equipment and cables, as well as sophisticated measuring equipment, far more than the average consumers like you and I.

All of them said USB cable matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back