How do I connect my headphones to my new DAC (ARCAM irDAC)?
Apr 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tianuk3

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question.

I just bought an irDAC but have no idea how I connect the irDAC to my headphones? I connected my Macbook to the irDAC using the USB cable provided and changed the output to the USB cable but have no idea how to now listen to the music on my headphones (Sennheiser HD25-II)

Connections on the back are as follows:

264_large.jpg

Thanks in advance

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 6
  The USB is an input I think, so you'll need to hook up your headphone to either one of the outputs by the looks of it.

Sorry that's what I mean, I set my laptop to use the USB connection to the DAC as the output (hence having the laptop as the input into the DAC) however I need an output from the DAC too so that I can listen to it..

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 6

Sorry that's what I mean, I set my laptop to use the USB connection to the DAC as the output (hence having the laptop as the input into the DAC) however I need an output from the DAC too so that I can listen to it..

The outputs of the DAC need to go to the input of a headphone amp.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 6
>>The outputs of the DAC need to go to the input of a headphone amp.<<

Your dac has no headphone amp.  The analog line out will have to be connected to one.  This will allow you to properly control the volume and the amp will have a standard 1/8 or 1/4 jack for your headphones.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Right, get an amp and hook that up to the RCA or digital output (way left on the picture) and plug your headphones into that.
Or try to use an RCA to female-jack adapter, plug your headphones in there and see if the DAC outputs a reasonable volume/if you can control the volume through the sound controls on the laptop. Not sure if that works though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back