How decent would a $400 DIY 2.0 bookshelf speaker system sound. And could anyone help me with ideas/details/ how to build.
Oct 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Baird GoW

500+ Head-Fier
How decent would a $400 DIY 2.0 bookshelf speaker system sound.
Also I don't know of any DIY speaker directions or any thing on DIY speakers can anyone help.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 19
The tools needed to do a project like that would cost more than $400.

There's a lot of good bookshelf speakers at that price range.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 19
Depends on what you mean by DIY. Are you going to buy a kit or are you going to follow someone's pre-established design and get your own materials or...?

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 19
Lot's of projects in that price range.

Zaph|Audio

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 19
For $400 you could make something really nice. I recommend a Pop Pulse T-amp, they're small and good sound for the money.

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 19
did not even know they sold kits lol. i think id rather get a kit so i don't make a terrible looking speaker system.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 19
Can someone tell me some DIY kit web sites.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 19
There are a variety of speakers you can build for $400. Sound qualitycan befrom good to excellent.

You do not have to buy tools, either. Most places that sell wood for high-end woodwork (as opposed to lumber for framing and construction) often have a shop. They'll work for an hourly rate of $40-$60 or so or perhaps charge $1-$3 per cut. If you're just going to cut six panels for each speaker for a total of 20-30 minutes, you'll see that even $60 an hour (prorated) comes out to a very reasonable amount. You will have to give them a "mill bill" of what to cut, but that's usually included in most DIY plans. So don't get a kit necessarily, get the speakers you want and plan around it. Aside from the cutting, you'll need a drill, glue and a few clamps. Clamps don't have to be expensive and you can usually improvise by creatively stacking heavy books, weight sets, etc.

I'd recommend going with a nice singledriver. Yes, they sound good. Really, really good. One I admire is the Jordan JX92S. There is a plan for a bookshelf version at Jordan's site.

There are a lot of advantages to the JX92S. First, as a singledriver, you do not need a crossover. You just run a wire from the + and - to those positions on the terminals and you're done. Cakewalk. Next, they're super efficient. You'll be able to use some headphone amps to power them and can use those magical DHT amps (300B, 2A3, etc.) if you want. Finally, you can later upgrade the cabinets for the JX92S. When you finally have the room for floorstanding speakers, you can build full-sized cabinets that wring every ounce of goodness from the JX92S and move your drivers over for a cheap and substantial upgrade.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a variety of speakers you can build for $400. Sound qualitycan befrom good to excellent.

You do not have to buy tools, either. Most places that sell wood for high-end woodwork (as opposed to lumber for framing and construction) often have a shop. They'll work for an hourly rate of $40-$60 or so or perhaps charge $1-$3 per cut. If you're just going to cut six panels for each speaker for a total of 20-30 minutes, you'll see that even $60 an hour (prorated) comes out to a very reasonable amount. You will have to give them a "mill bill" of what to cut, but that's usually included in most DIY plans. So don't get a kit necessarily, get the speakers you want and plan around it. Aside from the cutting, you'll need a drill, glue and a few clamps. Clamps don't have to be expensive and you can usually improvise by creatively stacking heavy books, weight sets, etc.

I'd recommend going with a nice singledriver. Yes, they sound good. Really, really good. One I admire is the Jordan JX92S. There is a plan for a bookshelf version at Jordan's site.

There are a lot of advantages to the JX92S. First, as a singledriver, you do not need a crossover. You just run a wire from the + and - to those positions on the terminals and you're done. Cakewalk. Next, they're super efficient. You'll be able to use some headphone amps to power them and can use those magical DHT amps (300B, 2A3, etc.) if you want. Finally, you can later upgrade the cabinets for the JX92S. When you finally have the room for floorstanding speakers, you can build full-sized cabinets that wring every ounce of goodness from the JX92S and move your drivers over for a cheap and substantial upgrade.

How do you think that would perform compared to the Energy RC-10s?

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me some DIY kit web sites.

Like I just said, PARTS EXPRESS is your new best friend.

They have a whole community of professional designers as well as amateurs on the forum and the site, and that is all they do - design and publish plans, - or make and sell kits on the website - for every type of set-up imaginable. They have 'plans of the month' and all that. Really, check it out, it's what you want.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 19
Oct 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 19
Without a side by side A/B/ test I think they are very comparable, just in looking at them. Neither will sound 'better' than the other. There may be some timbre differences, but that's just beauty in the eye of the beholder. I don't think there is a 'better' in this case.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 19
thanks does anyone have any favorite kits between 300-400$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back