How connect DAC Reference 5 /Audio_GD/ to PC? - choice DI :)
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

artoist

New Head-Fier
   For some time I have a set of Audio_GD: / headphone amp. - Phoenix / + Reference 5 DAC  / DF Version :frowning2: /  
DAC is connected to a PC through a USB port.

I'm thinking about purchasing the Digital Interface by Audio_GD or  product M2tech - Hiface? ... and I can connect to my Reference 5 to  Xonar Essence ST / by coax /?

I have headphones:  Sennheiser HD650 and HD800.
Please any advice how to improve the sound of my DAC.

Art

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Have you tried both the coax and the usb, does one sound better than the other?
In any case, the DI subtly (but noticeably) improves the standard USB input from my experience.

Same thing here... I own the REF5 as well as the NFB8 and I added the DI on both DAC and I noticed a sound improvement. Even my daughter who did not know I added a DI in the living room asked me if I changed something because "It doesn't sound the same". To me, it's significant enough, because it came from someone who did not try to hear a difference in the sound...She liked the "new sound".

Denys

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 9
I was hoping that that I wouldn't need the DI since I am very happy with the USB on the NFB-8.
I think it is better than with my Xonar D2X->coax (which was better than my old Cambridge Magic connected with on coax vs usb). The Xonar->coax sounds more hot and stressed. The usb on NFG-8 sounds more right in rythm and pace, with a blacker background.

Overall I am really really happy with the NFB-8. Still burning in but one thing I noticed is that now I play everything at much lower volume and hear much more sound/detail. It is a big upgrade for me in overall sound.

So DI on shopping list then :)

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 9
... but You're thinking - that DI will be better choice than Hiface... ? 
regular_smile%20.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 9
I haven't been thinking of buying Hiface no :). I am worried about slow driver updates etc which I have been burnt by before (don't know if this is any issue with Hiface but with my Musiland it was abit of a hit and miss).
A-gd hasn't let me down yet so I wouldn't mind testing some more of their gear. Especially that Master-5.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 9
The NFB8 needs something better than the internal USB- whether it be the DI (my recommendation) or something of equal quality. It is an improvement worthy of the investment you've made IMO. Many have commented that the HiFace is bright-ish sounding. Maybe that's good for some tastes or systems. Yes, I am biased towards AGD equipment.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
The NFB8 needs something better than the internal USB- whether it be the DI (my recommendation) or something of equal quality. It is an improvement worthy of the investment you've made IMO. Many have commented that the HiFace is bright-ish sounding. Maybe that's good for some tastes or systems. Yes, I am biased towards AGD equipment.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back