How come there's no love the the Grado Sr125 here?
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
i hear talks about the 60's/80/225's, but I thought the 125 are the best bang for your buck headphone....yet I never hear people reccomend them....

Most reccomendations are based on the Senn/Audio technica and sometimes ms-1.....

If i remember correctly, most sites rated grado's 125 as godly....

I think cnet was one of them

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
i hear talks about the 60's/80/225's, but I thought the 125 are the best bang for your buck headphone....yet I never hear people reccomend them....

Most reccomendations are based on the Senn/Audio technica and sometimes ms-1.....

If i remember correctly, most sites rated grado's 125 as godly....

I think cnet was one of them

Most sites also rank Bose Triports as amazing.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Most people on this board find the SR125 to put an emphasis on the high end, resulting in listening fatigue and the nickname "Grate-Oh"

more like grate-ouch

IMHO MS1s are better for the $$. Unless youre specifically looking for a bright headphone.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 41
For $50 more, you can get an SR225, and for $50 less, you can get an MS1, which is a more refined version of the SR125.
It's just not priced very well.

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 41
Not to hijack the thread, but I just took some Pizza boxes to the trash; and got to thinkin'

Grado phones come in "Pizza boxes"

We had pizza delivered last night; just slightly over 50USD.

Don't eat pizza for two nights and get some Alessandro MS-1s.

(I did. Great phones and I saved the box!)

If I can talk the family out of pizza for only six nights; I can get a new set of MS-2s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Eight times after that......!! Like WOW!!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Not to hijack the thread, but I just took some Pizza boxes to the trash; and got to thinkin'

Grado phones come in "Pizza boxes"

We had pizza delivered last night; just slightly over 50USD.

Don't eat pizza for two nights and get some Alessandro MS-1s.

(I did. Great phones and I saved the box!)

If I can talk the family out of pizza for only six nights; I can get a new set of MS-2s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Eight times after that......!! Like WOW!!
rs1smile.gif

You have a family of 8 or something??
eek.gif
Try a coupon next time.
icon10.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 41
plenty of love for my 125. Did the clear 3m tape mod on the circumference of the pad (for increased bass w/o muddying up the midrange) and paired it with a tube (mellows the top end) amp. Glorious sound!

Component matching is the key here.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
You have a family of 8 or something??
eek.gif
Try a coupon next time.
icon10.gif

Nope; just a family of six, but the kids eat lottsa, lottsa pizza!!

And there WAS a coupon!!
blink.gif
frown.gif
:

.........but they also like leftover pizza for breakfast the next day!(me too!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 41
i used to manage a pizza joint, i'm sick of pizza
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif
for me i cut back on driving/gas

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinedo
i used to manage a pizza joint, i'm sick of pizza
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif
for me i cut back on driving/gas

I really,...Really can't believe I'm saying this, but.....

.....yeah,....sometimes pizza gives me gas too.
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

-------------------

Please forgive me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just couldn't help it.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 41
I cannot understand the dislike for the SR-125 either. Unless the SR-125's have changed in character lately or are no longer as good as they used to be in relation to the rest of the product line. I have to admit that I bought mine about eight years ago. Now the pads are disintegrating and I need to get new pads.

I will admit that the SR-125's have a very forward sound and I can see how some may not like this presentation but that is not the same thing as good sound.

The SR-125's used to be identical to the 225's except for the driver were not matched as closely. If this is still the case there is no possible reason for the love of the 225's and the dislike of the 125's.

The 125's in the past performed so well for the money that Grado may have downgraded them. Because when I auditioned them agains't the 225's there was no reason to go for the 225's as they sounded nearly identical except the 225's were a bit more even sounding.

In matter of fact, in most cases the CD sound quality mastering is the weakest link when listening to music from CD. With cans as good as the SR-125 of years past all these flaws became unbearable in the higher frequencies. THe Sony MDR-v600 have got a lot of bad press to. But they do a good job of letting you listen to a lot of terribly recorded CD's because they do not point out sharply the bad CD sound that many CD's have.

THe SR-125's are also strong in the mid-bass regions this is true but this is also where most of the important music fundementals are. Also this is the range where most low cost audio products perform poorly and many are used to hearing this kind of low budget sound presentation.

Some cans seem designed to give this expected presentation. With regarding the Bose Triport. They can sound great for the first minute but then they start to display several faults. My 125's walk all over the current Bose Triports.

Also, I have found that my SR-125's do not sound good when driven by the output of either my old Walkman or my MD player. My feeling is that they need more current than the portable devices can deliver. In fact, when I hooked my 125's up to my MD player they sounded a lot like the SR-60's. Which have been accurately discribed as having a heavily colored and homogenized sound. I can completely agree with this assessment but the 125's sound like 60's just trying harder is not true of my pair when driven by good amplification. They are two orders of magnitude better than the 60's.

So I too would like to know what gives regarding the negative SR-125 press on this forum. Are they not what they used to be?

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 41
I think that it's simply the price and sound quality. It does make you wonder how much should you be paying for how much rise in quality.

I am equally happy with the sr60 along with the sr225 and the Alessandro ms1. They all sound good but all at different prices. When I first bought a 225, I did wonder why so much more then the sr60 but on closer listening, it's more refined I suppose.... but is that refinement worth the extra money?

That's where the sr125 has a problem imo. The price. (especially in the UK)

Ian

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 41
The sr125's suck. I would take the sr60 over them any day of the week. The sr60 has a warmer midrange and less brittle highs. The sr225 sounds like a less bright and more coherent and detailed version of the sr125.

Biggie.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hezz
So I too would like to know what gives regarding the negative SR-125 press on this forum. Are they not what they used to be?

Excellent first post Hezz(although I didn't quote the whole thing
wink.gif
).

I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back